Can Conor defend the takedown?

Stillmyboy1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
some may say this is one of Conors glaring weaknesses is a high level wrestler. My question to you is can he stop the takedown from a high level wrestler?

Discuss

Against mendes his Defence did not really work out well against diaz in the Rematch it was fine. But mendes is a high level wrestler. On the other hand nate is bigger

Based on the little evidence we have? No.

Mendes took the McGregor fight on short notice and didn't look anywhere near his best (although Conor's brutal body shots played a massive part in that) even still Mendes was able to get Conor down on the regular.

Conor's takedown defence did look much improved Vs Nate but Nate has never been known as a good takedown guy. I have no doubt Edgar (even Aldo) would seriously trouble McGregor's wrestling game.

Short answer : No

Long answer : No

He is getting better at defending TD's. Even gassed and reeling against Nate in the 2nd fight he kept it on the feet.

He spent 300k this last camp prepping for TD"s etc so I'd say he's at the very least improved quite a bit in that category. No reason to think another similar camp wouldn't allow him to improve more.

some may say this is one of Conors glaring weaknesses is a high level wrestler. My question to you is can he stop the takedown from a high level wrestler?

Discuss

This is indeed a great question. Some people say Conor's biggest weakness is his lack of elite TDD. So the question is: does he possess the movement and TDD to neutralize a high level wrestler?

Can Sherdog go without Conor threads for a day????

NO

contakdwn.gif

Based on the little evidence we have? No.

Mendes took the McGregor fight on short notice and didn't look anywhere near his best (although Conor's brutal body shots played a massive part in that) even still Mendes was able to get Conor down on the regular.

Conor's takedown defence did look much improved Vs Nate but Nate has never been known as a good takedown guy. I have no doubt Edgar (even Aldo) would seriously trouble McGregor's wrestling game.

He got like 3 of 7 or something and Conor got up every time but once.

McGregor's knee wasn't 100% for that fight tho and honestly, he didn't look great for that fight. His movement was pretty rough and his guard looked like shit.

He's looked better in each fight since, so I feel it's safe to attribute it largely to the knee.

He got like 3 of 7 or something and Conor got up every time but once.

McGregor's knee wasn't 100% for that fight tho and honestly, he didn't look great for that fight. His movement was pretty rough and his guard looked like shit.

He's looked better in each fight since, so I feel it's safe to attribute it largely to the knee.

Yeah I'd agree, and you have to expect that as a Martial Artist at this level, McGregor will be improving all aspects everyday, look how solid his clinch and wrestling work was against a bigger guy in Nate.

High level wrestler maybe no, but then most fighters can't. But isn't that why everyone is afraid to kick when facing a wrestler?

Nope. Alverez will have his way with him if he chooses to just wrestle as Chad Mini Mendes would have if he didn't gas so early.

This is indeed a great question. Some people say Conor's biggest weakness is his lack of elite TDD. So the question is: does he possess the movement and TDD to neutralize a high level wrestler?
Not even a mid level wrestler. Diaz at times almost had the takedown secured. I think guys like Duffy, MJ Ferguson and even the guys outside the top 10 can get him on the mat.

Back