The UFC Trivia Thread

Lost Souls

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
i am still considered a newbie in this site and in this sport. but we can use this thread to post questions we need to know about anything UFC.

the help of the knowledgeable guys around here to answer the questions will be a great help.

Now as for my first question, why is it that they chose the Octagon shape as their fighting stage? What was its origin?

i am still considered a newbie in this site and in this sport. but we can use this thread to post questions we need to know about anything UFC.

the help of the knowledgeable guys around here to answer the questions will be a great help.

Now as for my first question, why is it that they chose the Octagon shape as their fighting stage? What was its origin?

John Millius the director of Conan The Barbarian was approached about the idea. He felt the Octagon shape would've been appropriate for NHB.

I think it's because the angles are wider in the corners, so it's easier for fighters to escape without being boxed in.

Not trivia but instead of starting a thread I'll ask here: What the fuck happened to that John Hathaway guy? He fought the Dong in March of 2014, was brutally KOed, and never fought since. His Wikipedia says he was injured, but that was a long ass time ago. Did he just take the KO badly and quit the sport?

The shape of the octagon was meant to be a neutral venue for a fight. Now we know that it favours wall and stall and wrestlers as strikers can't corner opponents as easily.

51MRTX9XJCL.jpg
octagon-fortress.jpg

+

latest
55.gif

Not trivia but instead of starting a thread I'll ask here: What the fuck happened to that John Hathaway guy? He fought the Dong in March of 2014, was brutally KOed, and never fought since. His Wikipedia says he was injured, but that was a long ass time ago. Did he just take the KO badly and quit the sport?

I think he's still training at London Shootfighters, but not sure if he's still under contract. I remember being amazed at what a prospect he was when he dominated Diego Sanchez, but then got smashed by a crafty veteran in Mike Pyle and he just never looked the same after that. He has been scheduled a few times, he just seems very injury prone.

Back