Serious questions to those picking Aldo

DanaWhitesButler

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What did you see in those thirteen seconds that makes you think Aldo will win this one? Do you think Aldo became wreckless because he was emotional and Conor was in his head? Do you think Conor will be in his head again this time, since he already KO'ed him in thirteen seconds - record time for a title fight?

I wouldn't pick Aldo but each fight is a different fight.

It's hard to take anything away from a 13 second fight. I don't even like Aldo, but he's one of the GOAT's. So to completely count him out is crazy to me. Plus, Conor cutting back down to 145 is going to be brutal for him. Would be totally fine with him fighting Eddie next and just vacating the belt so we can get Aldo Holloway for the strap.

That being said, Aldo definitely looked rattled by the moment. Conor did an amazing job of getting in Aldo's head.

13 second means nothing if you want to see what Aldo can do differently. All that means is that in that particular sequence Conor landed the right shot at the right time. A fight like this can have so many different outcomes and you cant base what happens in the next fight based on what happened in the first fight because Aldo will likely have a different approach and strategy.

Look at a fight like Hughes/Penn.....3 different outcomes, you had a a sub in round 1 , TKO in late round 3, and a Knockout in 21 seconds. JDS/Cain as well. This rematch can go exactly like the first fight, Conor can KO him in round 1 or 2....or Aldo can win a decision, sub at some point. Its rather unpredictable how it goes.....all we have is likely scenarios.

I would love to see Aldo use his wrestling. It's really underrated considering he never uses it offensively.

13 second means nothing if you want to see what Aldo can do differently. All that means is that in that particular sequence Conor landed the right shot at the right time. A fight like this can have so many different outcomes and you cant base what happens in the next fight based on what happened in the first fight because Aldo will likely have a different approach and strategy.

Look at a fight like Hughes/Penn.....3 different outcomes, you had a a sub in round 1 , TKO in late round 3, and a Knockout in 21 seconds. JDS/Cain as well. This rematch can go exactly like the first fight, Conor can KO him in round 1 or 2....or Aldo can win a decision, sub at some point. Its rather unpredictable how it goes.....all we have is likely scenarios.

Listen to this man he knows what he's talking about

Listen to this man he knows what he's talking about

Thanks!

Personally as much as want Aldo to win, I think the most likely outcome is Conor by knock out again.

That's all true, but the most important piece of evidence we have is the actual fight between Aldo and Conor. We all know what happened. To pick Aldo seems insane to me since Conor already starched him, largely in part to the psychological warfare which will be even more intense this time.

That's all true, but the most important piece of evidence we have is the actual fight between Aldo and Conor. We all know what happened. To pick Aldo seems insane to me since Conor already starched him, largely in part to the psychological warfare which will be even more intense this time.
I think Aldo would at least fight smarter, even if he was rattled by all the hype. I'm not saying he'd win, but he'd at very least attempt to be a counter puncher, not the aggressor. Whether that would work or not, who knows. That's why they need to make the fight.

Surely Aldo would approach it differently and at least make it a fight. But if McGregor is prepared, he is going to be really hard for Aldo to beat. It feels like a terrible match up for Aldo.
You guys really like Aldo's chances of surviving five rounds against McGregor for a decision win? Surely you don't like Aldo to finish McGregor? Or is everyone counting on Conor gassing after the cut?

What did you see in those thirteen seconds that makes you think Aldo will win this one? Do you think Aldo became wreckless because he was emotional and Conor was in his head? Do you think Conor will be in his head again this time, since he already KO'ed him in thirteen seconds - record time for a title fight?

Do I think McGregor was in his head? Yes HOWEVER, contrary to popular opinion and people's fantastic rationalizations, I don't believe it played a part in the fight at all. Like Aldo said, he wasn't particularly aggressive in the fight, he simply got caught doing the same dumb mistake.

Aldo is more confident than ever. People don't get that language barriers make it hard to discern the level of confidence Aldo truly has and always had.

Do I think McGregor is still very challenging for Aldo, absolutely. McGregor's MMA boxing is among the best I've seen.

I'm not picking Aldo, but the wrestling question will be there in the back of my mind until they fight again.

Aldo has taken down every other striker he's fought in a championship match and done so multiple times with great accuracy. Aldo has better TD stats than any fighter who's fought multiple title fights except GSP. Better than Mendes, Frankie, Jones, DC, Cain, Brock, Sonnen, Hendricks etc ... And Aldo has a better top control game than all of them.

So for anyone who analyzes fights it's precisely because the first fight went only 13 seconds that there are still 13 thousand questions about how these two match up.

Aldo just needs to stay fundamental and wait for Conor to gas. Aldo is better on the ground and also has way better cardio. Conor has good stand up (Aldo is no slouch either) so let him wear down and take him down. I think a rematch would be different. And remember Conor has gained serious weight and the cut might affect him some to.

Its too short of a fight to gauge anything. There is nothing about that fight that we already didnt know prior.....all the questions about the match up still exist. We just know now that McGreogr can KO him with one shot at anytime. We've seen similar with GSP/Serra and Cain/JDS.....the other guy can certainly win. If Conor outstuck Aldo for 1 round + and shut down his weapons then its a bit different.

Then why did Conor fight Nate again? It's simple, it's called variance. One fight is too small of a sample size, especially a fight that only lasted 13 seconds.

while this is true, I think it doesnt take into account the biggest factor in their fight that has only amplified in the time since then and will get even worse should they ever fight again....the fact that Aldo was so triggered/rattled/gotten to...that it completely affected the outcome of the fight

We didn't see enough of the first fight to assume that Conor easily beats Aldo again. Just like the folk who predicted a similar win again for Nate, you're being delusional.

I'm not picking Aldo nor am I picking Conor but what I do know is that Aldo and RDA saw Conor's last 2 performances and would very much like to fight him now and Conor seems to be beating about the bush in regard to going back to 145 to defend against Aldo.
Good win for Conor at 202 but neither guy particularly impressed me. I genuinely don't see Conor building another streak. The ufc and his fans make him out to be some deadly force who will wipe out all his opponents no bother. Sorry but i've watched mma for bout 10 years now and i'm not that easily sold

Any boxing exchange with Conor will always be super dangerous. Not just for Aldo, but for everyone. But a lot of fighters have managed to survive longer than 13 seconds, so obviously Aldo can do that, too. If he makes it a cautios, kicking heavy striking battle, he sure has a chance to win that one closely. Mixing in takedowns, you have to believe there is a good chance Aldo can win the rematch.

Interestingly enough, I think several strikers can and probably would beat Conor with takedowns and grappling. Pettis and Cerrone also have (very) good takedowns and grappling.

I'd argue it's weirder assuming Conor will repeat what he did in the last fight than assuming that Aldo will fight a more intelligent fight. Aldo looked a hell of a lot more impressive vs Edgar, an actual ranked opponent, than Conor did vs Diaz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back