Is Dominick Cruz Up There With The Greats? If Not How Can He Cement That?

ChosenMMA

Part Of DC Nation & The Cruz & Velasquez Wagon
@purple
Reaction score
No doubt that Dominick Cruz is the greatest bantamweight fighter in MMA, but how far up the pecking order is he with the greats in the history books?

Is he up there? on skill and if he isn't on current resume, what would he have to do and how would he need to end his career to cement himself as one of the greatest.

Won the WEC title in 2010 against Bowles and has never lost the UFC bantamweight title in the cage, has beaten Faber, Johnson, Benavidez and came off a three year lay off to reclaim his UFC title against Dillashaw in January last year.

To me Cruz is like Jake Shields. His resume is incredible but his style is just offputting. He's definitely one of the greats but he doesn't have the wow factor that guys like Aldo, Jones, Anderson, and others have

Clean out his division for one thing
His resume is really something, but it's not that great to be honest. TJ, DJ and Joey B are his best wins - maybe Urijah, but two of those guys were clearly too small for the division. It's not his fault, he just hasn't had much time to compete.
There's plenty of names in his division for him to fight against.
Rematch TJ/Beat the top guys currently then lets talk about a p4p great.
Right now, because of his historical accomplishments, I have him as one of the all time greats of the lighter classes though

He has one loss which he's avenged twice. That's Georges material imo.

You can say he's not one of the GOATs if you want (all of the candidates barring Fedor have great strengths of schedule) but he's far and away the best his weight class ever made. He definitely deserves to be considered a great.

Cruzus Christ bless

Clean out his division for one thing
His resume is really something, but it's not that great to be honest. TJ, DJ and Joey B are his best wins - maybe Urijah, but two of those guys were clearly too small for the division. It's not his fault, he just hasn't had much time to compete.
There's plenty of names in his division for him to fight against.
Rematch TJ/Beat the top guys currently then lets talk about a p4p great.
Right now, because of his historical accomplishments, I have him as one of the all time greats of the lighter classes though

Would much rather see the TJ rematch instead of Cody for sure, not enough intrigued by the possible Cody fight

He's the greatest in his division but he doesn't have enough quality wins to be in that GOAT P4P tier just yet, and BW is historically one of the weakest divisions, the inactivity/injuries really hurt him there.

He'd be a great if he wasn't hurt all the fucking time.

Hi dom, looking good lately. Take it to cody, make him look like a lost child out there

He's absolutely up there. Arguably the most talented fighter there's ever been, he's literally one of a kind. Completing the most incredible & miraculous comeback in all of sports history kind of just adds to his legacy. But even if it never happened he'd have racked up 8-12 title defenses(barring super fights or FW fights) by now. But there's still more to come & further cementing to be done.

Currently i'd say:

1. GSP
2. Fedor
3. Cruz
4. Aldo
5. Johnson

If you don't mind cheaters...then throw in Jones & Andy above him. None the less...

Cruz bless

CfjcVUZUUAACebt.jpg:large

If he beats Lineker, Garbrandt and MM I'd say he's up there for sure.

He's absolutely up there. Arguably the most talented fighter there's ever been, he's literally one of a kind. Completing the most incredible & miraculous comeback in all of sports history kind of just adds to his legacy. But even if it never happened he'd have racked up 8-12 title defenses(barring super fights or FW fights) by now. But there's still more to come & further cementing to be done.

Currently i'd say:

1. GSP
2. Fedor
3. Cruz
4. Aldo

5. Johnson

If you don't mind cheaters...then throw in Jones & Andy above him. None the less...

Cruz bless

CfjcVUZUUAACebt.jpg:large

rampage_30152.gif

GSP
Jones
Dominick
HW dude
Anderson

That's the best top 5 ranking.

No, not IMO...want to see him defend some against the top contenders...he is also unlikable and lacks an exciting style or personality...

His inactivity for those two years really hurt him. I think if he continues what he's doing and clears out his division it Wil be cemented. Not yet but close to it and very attainable for him.

Most people don't like Cruz because most people hate little guys and he doesn't knock everyone out

Still he has wins over dillashaw, Faber x2 (avenging his only loss) benavidez x2, and Mighty Mouse

He's a beast and clearly the 135 GOAT

if he beats dillshaw again and there's a MM rematch that he wins I don't know how anyone can say he's not the best

Also the Cody fight... Cody isn't on that level yet

He already is. Knocking the tat off garbrandt's neck will cement him as the GOAT

Beat TJ one more time, crush Garbrandt's dreams, then beat a good 145er

That'd take him from divisional goat to among the overall goats

One thing that isn't relevant now but I would have liked to have seen would be a victory over Renan Barao. It was a fight we all assumed we'd see at some point but never got

Back