When a Prospect Retires too Early.

burningspear

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
jordan-mein-elbows-thiago-alves-in-their-welterweight-bout-during-the-picture-id462589906
Last year after losing a fight vs Thiago Alves, a fight he was dominating up until he wasn't:confused:, Jordan Mein retired. He was 25.
Having watched him for a while, I always had him pinned as a future WW champion.
Was he simply disillusioned or is there more to it, anyone know?
And any other guys you think hung 'em up before their time?

Genki Sudo... Was More interested in music, but good on him.

TJ Grant hasn't officially retired but damn, he was forced to step away right before getting a title shot and hasn't been back since. It's fair to say he is retired from MMA in every sense of the word.

Brendan Schaub...

He retired too early from football, should have stayed there so we'd be rid of him.

Ricardo Arona... He could've been one of the greats

Last edited:
Honestly I think Matt Brown took his soul. That TKO was brutal.

I miss Jordan Mein, he was great to watch, super effective striker who would dominate then find a way to lose, almost like a young Overeem. He had serious potential.

conor..

o wait he was just blowing smoke up danas wazoooo

Was a big fan of Mein as well. He lost that Alves fight due to pure stupidity on his part. This is what he said about retiring:

"I’m super happy with the way my career went and everything I’ve done in the sport, so I don’t really have that feeling of 'I can’t retire because I haven’t done anything in my career and I don’t feel satisfied,'" Mein told UFC.com. "I do feel satisfied, and I’m happy with myself. I’m not coming to the gym saying 'I made the wrong decision.' I’m feeling good about the choices I made in my career. I think it would be different if I didn’t feel that way and if it was a forced situation. I really got into teaching," Mein said. "I love martial arts, it’s just the competition side of it, staying at that high intensity and high level, and I’m going to a different aspect of life. I just don’t want to compete anymore at the highest level. I still love to compete in the gym, and I’m more into wanting to teach and maybe even going a different route and getting away from martial arts and doing something else. I don’t know yet."

Frankie Perez and Jimmy Hettes come to mind as well.

I know he wasn't a prospect and he was in his 30s but I would've loved to have seen what Rulon Gardner could've done in PRIDE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back