How to outstrike Stephen Thompson?

RichardN7

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just rewatched Wonderboy vs MacDonald. He was very dominant from a striking perspective. Pulling off such a performance against a respectable striker like Rory really made me respect him (before seeing it I was sure Rory would box him up, take him down, etc.).
I am wondering what you guys think would be a tough striking match-up for Wonderboy and (in theory) what it would take to counter his style.
My observations are:
Low kicks from a southpaw stance. He seems to prefer standing in a rather bladed southpaw stance himself, and a few heavy leg kicks could really dissuade it. This would halt his spinning shit ( :D ) and make him less mobile (which is his best defense).
Quick, in-and-out, precise boxing (not unlike Conor McGregor's). He's got good hands, but Rory, a mediocre boxer himself, tagged him well with some right hand counters.

What I DON'T know how to deal with is his great countering game and side kicks. He utilizes them like a tall boxer would use a jab. He makes and maintains space, and it's seemingly impossible to counter them. They're longer than typical Thai-style teeps and quicker. Any ideas?

Remember, I'm only asking about his weaknesses from a striking perspective, not talking about BJJ or wrestling.

Discuss guys :D

90 inch reach+50 inch vertical+superman jab his ass to oblivion!

Ellenberger dropped him but this site makes it seem like hes Johnny Cage

Just rewatched Wonderboy vs MacDonald. He was very dominant from a striking perspective. Pulling off such a performance against a respectable striker like Rory really made me respect him (before seeing it I was sure Rory would box him up, take him down, etc.).
I am wondering what you guys think would be a tough striking match-up for Wonderboy and (in theory) what it would take to counter his style.
My observations are:
Low kicks from a southpaw stance. He seems to prefer standing in a rather bladed southpaw stance himself, and a few heavy leg kicks could really dissuade it. This would halt his spinning shit ( :D ) and make him less mobile (which is his best defense).
Quick, in-and-out, precise boxing (not unlike Conor McGregor's). He's got good hands, but Rory, a mediocre boxer himself, tagged him well with some right hand counters.

What I DON'T know how to deal with is his great countering game and side kicks. He utilizes them like a tall boxer would use a jab. He makes and maintains space, and it's seemingly impossible to counter them. They're longer than typical Thai-style teeps and quicker. Any ideas?

Remember, I'm only asking about his weaknesses from a striking perspective, not talking about BJJ or wrestling.

Pressure, have chin, pressure, jab, jab, have chin, pressure, body, body, have chin, pressure, pressure. Repeat over and over - hit overhand whenever opportunity opens up.

Pressure, have chin, pressure, jab, jab, have chin, pressure, body, body, have chin, pressure, pressure. Repeat over and over - hit overhand whenever opportunity opens up.
I suppose that's what Hendricks tried and Rory attempted in the final rounds but it didn't work. He kept slipping away and countering... and those side-kicks... :/

Ellenberger dropped him but this site makes it seem like hes Johnny Cage
He is just the new flavor of the month. He will lose and threads about him will dissipate. Just like Hendricks, Gustafsson, JDS.

Last edited:
MVP>Wonderboy

Him breaking him leg fluke-like or age.

Every time he hits you, hit him twice. Simple.

i would imagine someone would have to impose a kicking game a bit - wonderboy gets to stay at range and land kicks, and then dart in with straight punches when appropriate - you cant let him stay outside like that - you either need to rush in effectively and lead or counter his counters i guess, or impose a kicking game where you can win at the distance he prefers

Cut him off and go for his body and legs early on mixed in with clinch work (if you can work the takedowns but don't force them and obviously this isn't for outstriking him). Hendricks and McDonald both managed to cut him off but both guys preferred to headhunt instead of attempting to break him down over the course of the fight. Honestly I feel like Condit with his varied strikes and pressure.

Catch him early like Ellenberger did.. but finish him.

I think Woodley can do it for a round or 2.

Best way to outstrike someone is to hit them more than they hit you

Just rewatched Wonderboy vs MacDonald. He was very dominant from a striking perspective.....

I like your topic, nice to see a thread like this.

I don't know if you can have an only "striking perspective" on this. My take would be a fighter built exactly like GSP (Pre Injuries, unless he comes back healed and better than he was ( as GSP and team are saying). Georges has a Karate stance, that is much different than the typical MMA Boxing stance which should make counters a bit easier to defend from the Karate Stylist Wonderboy. The use of GSP's jab I think would be very effective against Wonderboy, simply because it's VERY FAST. Where I think it all comes into play is GSP's double leg takedown. Nobody transitions as quick, the reason this is very important is mixing your takedowns and striking will have an effect on Wonderboy. Put him in a more defence mode, making him leary of opening up too much at the risk of being taken down. I know your asking about striking but this certainly does change things up. Having to defend a constant threat or appearence of being taken down. SO far we haven't watched Wonderboy against a wrestler that utilizes the Double Leg, Hendricks is the best wrestler he's faced but uses clinchwork and power much more than speed. Rory Isn't the best wrestler and didn't try very much for the TD.

Back