Thompson v Maia is why we tune in

Davey Crockett

Mane, Firmino, Salah
Banned
Reaction score
This is the match up that we've been waiting for. This is why we tuned in years ago, for the chance to see a clash of not only two of the best fighters in the world, but polar opposite fight styles where no one knows what will happen. Matchmaking and politics aside for a moment, it's fights like these that remind us that the ppv numbers, the trash talk, the media, its all just a basis to hype fights that don't have the pull of a real matchup like this.

The ground wizard vs the striking machine. Stephen Thompson is the best mma striker in the world. Demian Maia has the best mma bjj in the world too, but they are both well rounded in other facets of the game meaning that the outcome will most likely be determined by their strengths rather than any weaknesses.

Even though I'm a big fan of both fighters sometimes you have to just let yourself have your cake.

why would this happen. thompson is fighting tyrun next. when wonder boy wins then we can see him vs maia.

Don't be stupid TS. Wonderboy earned his shot, he's fighting Woodley. Maia will wait for the winner because he's earned his shot at the winner. It would be incredibly dumb and unfair to make them fight each other

So we can see Maia flailing his arms after he fails to get the TD and gets picked apart? The guy is extremely good at what he does.. but looks horrible against someone he can't take down. Thompson has the perfect recipe to defeat someone like Maia. He's improved his TDD and is a master of distance.

This is the match up that we've been waiting for. This is why we tuned in years ago, for the chance to see a clash of not only two of the best fighters in the world, but polar opposite fight styles where no one knows what will happen. Matchmaking and politics aside for a moment, it's fights like these that remind us that the ppv numbers, the trash talk, the media, its all just a basis to hype fights that don't have the pull of a real matchup like this.

The ground wizard vs the striking machine. Stephen Thompson is the best mma striker in the world. Demian Maia has the best mma bjj in the world too, but they are both well rounded in other facets of the game meaning that the outcome will most likely be determined by their strengths rather than any weaknesses.

Even though I'm a big fan of both fighters sometimes you have to just let yourself have your cake.

Is that you Duckley?

I'll say right now that Maia will not be able to sub Thompson.

So we can see Maia flailing his arms after he fails to get the TD and gets picked apart? The guy is extremely good at what he does.. but looks horrible against someone he can't take down. Thompson has the perfect recipe to defeat someone like Maia. He's improved his TDD and is a master of distance.
Change the date of this post & replace Thompson with Condit.

But it feels like if Thomson goes to the ground he's chanceless and if Maia stands up then HE's chanceless. I don't know how competetive it will be.

I just wanna see Maia choke another opponent out tbh. It's great seeing him finish his opponents again. 3 out of his last 4 wins by choke. It was great seeing him dominate Gunnar on the ground the way he did but i prefer to see a submission at the end to show all his hard work

I'll say right now that Maia will not be able to sub Thompson.

The question is not whether Maia can sub Wonderboy, it's whether Maia can get Wonderboy down.

If he can, he can sub him. If he can't, he's in for a LONG night.

But it feels like if Thomson goes to the ground he's chanceless and if Maia stands up then HE's chanceless. I don't know how competetive it will be.

Yeah. It's a fight that will be determined in the first minute whether Wonderboy can stave off the takedown or not. This fight is all going to come down to Takedown vs Takedown Defense.

only if GSP uses his I want next card that is 4 years old before or after Truns fights or after he wins

why would this happen. thompson is fighting tyrun next. when wonder boy wins then we can see him vs maia.
I think he's anticipating a Thompson win. I'd much rather see Thompson vs Maia once/if Thompson wins

It has the potential to be Anderson/Maia mk 2 so no I don't really look forward to it.

It's a match-up I want to see, but not at the cost of screwing up either guy out of their deserved title shots. We'll see that if WB beats Tyrun (hopefully).

Back