Is the UFC at fault?

Guernica

Double Yellow Belt
Banned
Reaction score
So I had no idea who the hell cm punk was untill his foray into mma. As the greatest DAMN poster on this site my knowledge of sports is limited to mma and combat related carnage.

A while back this receding hairline dude came out, by the name of Punk and people got all worked up 100% in favor and 100% against. Come to find out he was an ex pro wrestler who simply decided he wanted to fight for real.

Now I followed wrestling back when those guys were worth a damn! Ric Flair, Brett Hart, macho man! But today it just a bunch of garbage. The type of garbage that spews out this punk guy.

I for one don't want to see him hurt but I think the writing is on the wall. From his show and workout vids, it's clear that this guy has no business in the UFC and I question wether it's right for them to send him into slaughter despite looking the part, what with his many tattoos and pension for tight apparel.

I realize he's fighting a young fighter but Gall had actually trained for this. He's a brown belt in Bjj. And I'll tell you, as a brown belt myself that there is no amount of work you can do in 18 months to simulate the hundreds of hours of mat time that you have to put in to earn that distinction.

Is the UFC to blame here if punk gets hurt? This seems like a circus match and the only thing that I can liken it to is the laughable James Tooney fight...but at least James was a skilled fighter in a certain discipline of combat.

Thoughts?!

#GUERNICAbless

giphy.gif

Consider yourself lucky I posted on your thread.

I'm posting in this damn thread because I'm gonna make it famous!!!!

Consider yourself lucky!!!

I'm posting in this damn thread because I'm gonna make it famous!!!!

Consider yourself lucky!!!
I like your spunk kid but it takes a lot more that a witty post to usurp the king. GUERNICA = GOAT

Having said that, and all joke aside I really think letting such a novice fight at this level is borderline negligent and down right crazy. Like I said I hope he isn't hurt but it just seems like a sideshow fight.

#GUERNICAbless

You don't watch combat sports at all. This guy was professional heavy weight wrestling champion not some amateur like askren or dc

In the same kind of boat. I've never watched WWE before. I had no idea who CM Punk was until the UFC announced they had signed him. To me, he's just some other "John Smith" kid filling a spot on a card.

One way or another, CM Punks carcass will be hanging like a limp cock

In the same kind of boat. I've never watched WWE before. I had no idea who CM Punk was until the UFC announced they had signed him. To me, he's just some other "John Smith" kid filling a spot on a card.
Right! Except he's got this massive media push and an expensive lookin show and capturing his life and camp leading up to this fight. This is really unlike anything we've ever seen. Certainly in the UFC anyway.

Brock was at least a ncaa wrestling champion so he had that discipline. James Tooney was an accomplished boxer. Even the guys from TUF have had years or training despite few fights to show for it. This guy punk, is starting from 0 and is going into the highest stage for MMA. It just seems crazy and ill advised.

#GUERNICAbless

I like your spunk kid but it takes a lot more that a witty post to usurp the king. GUERNICA = GOAT

Having said that, and all joke aside I really think letting such a novice fight at this level is borderline negligent and down right crazy. Like I said I hope he isn't hurt but it just seems like a sideshow fight.

#GUERNICAbless

It's not borderline, it is.

I can't tell you how much I hate WWE guys coming in and hurting this sport, but I in no way really want them to get harmed.

I am talking about severely harmed. Could be death, depending on how Gall treats him.

This isn't right and a commission should refuse or revoke approval.

It's not borderline, it is.

I can't tell you how much I hate WWE guys coming in and hurting this sport, but I in no way really want them to get harmed.

I am talking about severely harmed. Could be death, depending on how Gall treats him.

This isn't right and a commission should refuse or revoke approval.
Woa! Don't know about "death," but certainly concussed or chocked out pretty hard concidering he wouldn't know how to properly defend.

My thing is that, ok guys get choked and knocked out all the time. BUT! But they know how to defend themselves! This guy can barely keep his hands up so this concussion is squarely on the shoulders of the UFC and the idiot commission that agreed to give him a license. It's kind of insane once you think about it.

#GUERNICAbless

So I had no idea who the hell cm punk was untill his foray into mma. As the greatest DAMN poster on this site my knowledge of sports is limited to mma and combat related carnage.

A while back this receding hairline dude came out, by the name of Punk and people got all worked up 100% in favor and 100% against. Come to find out he was an ex pro wrestler who simply decided he wanted to fight for real.

Now I followed wrestling back when those guys were worth a damn! Ric Flair, Brett Hart, macho man! But today it just a bunch of garbage. The type of garbage that spews out this punk guy.

I for one don't want to see him hurt but I think the writing is on the wall. From his show and workout vids, it's clear that this guy has no business in the UFC and I question wether it's right for them to send him into slaughter despite looking the part, what with his many tattoos and pension for tight apparel.

I realize he's fighting a young fighter but Gall had actually trained for this. He's a brown belt in Bjj. And I'll tell you, as a brown belt myself that there is no amount of work you can do in 18 months to simulate the hundreds of hours of mat time that you have to put in to earn that distinction.

Is the UFC to blame here if punk gets hurt? This seems like a circus match and the only thing that I can liken it to is the laughable James Tooney fight...but at least James was a skilled fighter in a certain discipline of combat.

Thoughts?!

#GUERNICAbless
Yes I believe that the UFC would be partly to blame. I think their matchmaking on this is terrible. It sounds like Mikey Gall is a prospect as a WW albeit with limited experience. I don't see him beating CM Punk as anything that builds him in the future if he is a real UFC fighter. I think Punk fighting is a Circus type Freakshow Fight and the best of those alway pit a much larger man vs a smaller but highly skilled fighter. Fedor vs Hong Man Choi, Nog vs Bob Sapp and the like.

That is why it should have been CM Punk vs Demetrious Johnson at WW. Punk weighing in at 171 lbs and Mighty Mouse at 156 lbs having to actually gain water weight rather than cut it for the weigh ins to make the WW min would have been Epic. That way the UFC wins no matter the outcome. If Punk wins he beat a UFC champion and can move up to a BW like maybe Faber or Cruz. If DJ wins he is a Giant Killer and it sheds some light on the Fly Weights possibly creating a new STAR.

Joe Silva and Sean Shelby be damned! Make this fight happen.

Thoughts?!

#GUERNICAbless
My first thought was wow this guy loves himself too much. Then I saw at the end #GUERNICAbless and my suspicion was confirmed.

Also I find your post too anti CM Punk and too hating of the pro wrestling scene. You must respect that since people buy their ppvs and attend their events it's a legitimate business. I do not watch pro wrestling myself just informing you.

Honestly I hope he does well. It's good for MMA for someone who's famous to arrive in MMA and do well. It seems you don't care much about the sport doing well but rather seeing the things you hate don't prosper.

In conclusion you should be trying to see everything you hate prosper in a good way. Sure you hate CM Punk because he came from pro wrestling, but the good side is if he does well at least he has a fan base before his first professional fight.

People will be attending this event just to see CM Punk.

Woa! Don't know about "death," but certainly concussed or chocked out pretty hard concidering he wouldn't know how to properly defend.

My thing is that, ok guys get choked and knocked out all the time. BUT! But they know how to defend themselves! This guy can barely keep his hands up so this concussion is squarely on the shoulders of the UFC and the idiot commission that agreed to give him a license. It's kind of insane once you think about it.

#GUERNICAbless
I don;t get it. They should have given im a 0-0 fighter with 1 amateur fight max.

Yes I believe that the UFC would be partly to blame. I think their matchmaking on this is terrible. It sounds like Mikey Gall is a prospect as a WW albeit with limited experience. I don't see him beating CM Punk as anything that builds him in the future if he is a real UFC fighter. I think Punk fighting is a Circus type Freakshow Fight and the best of those alway pit a much larger man vs a smaller but highly skilled fighter. Fedor vs Hong Man Choi, Nog vs Bob Sapp and the like.

That is why it should have been CM Punk vs Demetrious Johnson at WW. Punk weighing in at 171 lbs and Mighty Mouse at 156 lbs having to actually gain water weight rather than cut it for the weigh ins to make the WW min would have been Epic. That way the UFC wins no matter the outcome. If Punk wins he beat a UFC champion and can move up to a BW like maybe Faber or Cruz. If DJ wins he is a Giant Killer and it sheds some light on the Fly Weights possibly creating a new STAR.

Joe Silva and Sean Shelby be damned! Make this fight happen.
Woa! I like it! If you're gonna make a circus fight do it 100%! But yeah man. It's crazy match making and a sorry excuse just to sell a few tickets.

#GUERNICAbless

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back