This is why I hate gifted titleshots.

Kwic

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
A guy like Woodley can now claim forever that he was a UFC champion and there are some guys who are on some massive win streaks and will never be able to say that because at one point they lose before fighting for the belt. And when you are gifted a TS then you surely have a shot at winning. It's all about getting that chance.

That's why I agree that you shouldn't be considered real champion if you haven't defended once.

Last edited:
For sure. It's a crazy enough game that you can win one fight against the champ, especially if you match well stylistically.
The odds of a guy getting lucky by fighting two top tenners, a top 5r and then the champ, and winning 4 in a row.... I mean, they don't exist. The guy is proven.
It's shitty, it's UFC, it's Sports Entertainment.

when will you fools realize that rankings don't matter?

(except the one in my sig, of course)

For sure. It's a crazy enough game that you can win one fight against the champ, especially if you match well stylistically.
The odds of a guy getting lucky by fighting two top tenners, a top 5r and then the champ, and winning 4 in a row.... I mean, they don't exist. The guy is proven.
It's shitty, it's UFC, it's Sports Entertainment.

I couldn't have said it better. Fully agreed. You can always win against the champ if given the opportunity, see Serra vs GSP.

Condit beats both Woodley and Maia in a rematch.

I will not accept this.

title shots, what else?

According to whom? That the UFC is giving TS's like candies to people not deserving it? That's common knowledge.
It doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

I will not accept this.

Woodley maybe but I don't think he can stop Maia's trips/takedowns.... and if he doesn't keep it standing he was 0 chance.

I will not accept this.

He very well could.

(I thought I already replied to this message but somehow I don't see it)

Belts don't really mean much these days in terms of legitimacy anymore.

Chances are if you're marketable and bring in the $$$, the UFC will find an easy path for you to the title:

Lesnar goes 1-1 to get a TS

Honda doesn't even fight to earn UFC gold

Connie is kept away from All American wrestles and fights Denis Siver to earn his

The precedent has been set, CANT h8 on Woodley for reaping the benefits of what the UFC basically caused.

tyron-woodley-ufc-fight-night-74.jpg

Meh, he KTFO the world champion so now he's the champ. Can't begrudge the guy, he earned it.

As a champ, you might get thrown the most deserving challenger, and you might get thrown a less deserving challenger (we saw that also with Rockhold/Bisping). You have to beat them all and can't whine if you get KTFO.

Tyrone dethroned the king, he deserves respect.

It's all politics and business. Very few people really earn their title shots.

That's why I like Maia saying he'll wait to fight the champion because fuck fighting again and risk getting beat and having to have another 6 fight winning streak just to maybe get a title shot.

Chances are if you're marketable and bring in the $$$, the UFC will find an easy path for you to the title:

Okay but how does that apply to Woodley? He's not the most marketable guy out there.

Connie is kept away from All American wrestles and fights Denis Siver to earn his

The precedent has been set, CANT h8 on Woodley for reaping the benefits of what the UFC basically caused.

Why mention Ronda and not Aldo? Since he was given his belt before she was.

Yeah I don't dispute that's the case now, I just am not a fan of it at all.
And with Woodley, it sucks a bit because he hasn't really earned a TS in my eyes AND he was saying like crazy before his TS that rankings should matter, that a guy should fight contenders etc. and then he doesn't want to do it. At least be consistent in what you say.

Last edited:
Okay but how does that apply to Woodley? He's not the most marketable guy out there.

I was using it in context as to Woodleys defense for not fighting.

As he claimed, if guys like Conor can get the easy way parted for him to get big $$$ fights and milk the "title" why shouldn't Woodley?

I don't agree with him and even respect Connie more for at least getting in the Octagon and fighting on call, BUT how can the UFC possibly counter Woodleys argument with all the crooked stuff they do?

In the Woodley case, let's not forget he was supposed to fight Doughboy Johny, who missed weight. After this he got the shot and even though the landscape at WW changed dramatically and I also did't want to see him fight for the TS at that point, UFC actually kept it's word to Tyron and that is positive.

Besides, Wonderboy and Maia should be up next and everyone gets what they deserve. I don't need to like it, but I can live with it and don't see it as being incredibly unfair.

Hendo on the other hand….. It's all been done for the UK market to have a UK champ actually have a winnable fight in the UK and defend the belt. Rockhold messed up but he won't a second time. Romero, Jacare, Weedman, Moose, Brunson, Whitaker, all these guys were to risky for this purpose. This is so laughable.

Dana could us fans biggest favor by stripping Conor very publicly if he refuses to fight Aldo.

Because right now you have like 6 newly minted champs, most were heavy underdogs BTW, who refuse to fight #1-2 contenders citing CMG as example.

Strip Conor, the rainman, and that shit would end. They'd be on notice they are next to lose belts and do what they are told and fights fans want to see.

Back