Three great reasons why Conor SHOULD NOT fight Jose Aldo

DannyNL

The King is BACK, baby!
Banned
Reaction score
Lots of threads about whether or not McGregor should go back down to 145 and rematch Aldo. I'll give you three good reasons why he shouldn't do it.

1) The weight cut. There's no way he's going from the freedom of not having to cut weight for 2 fights to 145, where he's going to have to kill himself to make weight because he's packed on some solid muscle within the last year.

2) It's not worth it. How do you sell a fight against a guy you iced in 13 seconds? And how do you outdo your last performance? It was absolutely perfect. It means more for his legacy to go up and try to become a 2-division world champ against Alvarez.

3) There's a STRONG possibility Aldo does not show up on fight night. We're talking about a guy who's dropped out of 6-7 or more fights already. We're talking about a guy who has already dropped out of one fight with McGregor and refused another. So if you look at it that way, Conor has only a 33% success rate in actually getting Aldo to show up and fight him. So if you're Conor McGregor, why spend 300k on a training camp when you're fighting a man who will probably end up dropping out anyway? Then you've wasted valuable time and resources that could have been put towards fighting a guy who will actually show up.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I 100% agree that he should drop the belt. He should not be allowed to take another non-145 fight and hold the 145 title.

Last edited:
Fuck all those reasons.

Fight Aldo. Or drop the belt. Simple as that.

Conor is a legacy fighter, fighting Aldo does nothing to advance his legacy

I am a Conor fan and #3 is the only real reason here. It would suck having to take a lw fight on a short notice.

4. He knows the first fight was a fluke and, after losing to Diaz and then BARELY beating Diaz, he is scared what a loss to Aldo would do to his 'legacy'

You're 33% figure is really taking liberties, that said it would suprise absolutely no one if Aldo did pull out. Don't know why anyone is keen to see him as champion again after his pathetic record of showing up.

What tough weight cut? Are you trying to say he's a 155er?

I agree with the 2 and 3 but disagree with 1. He is the 145 pound champ. If he isn't gonna defend, give it up. This is coming from a huge Conor fan but I feel like he will go down to 45 and shut these fucking bums in one round.

For sure, and I should have been more clear that I think 100% he should drop the belt.

Conor will NEVER defend that belt. And that's fine. Just vacate the fucking title already.

So two definitive wins over the FW GOAT does nothing for his legacy? Lol that's ridiculous.

I don't think Conor is scared or anything but he needs to defend his belt. Nate gave him another chance, Conor should do the same for Aldo.

I think these are all reasons that everyone already knows. Including Conor McGregor. Because he said so several times.

Even though I think it's unnecessary to drag on and on about them, I do agree with the reasons. If I'm Conor McGregor I'm looking for a super fight at 55. I'm begging the UFC to let me keep my belt but if they take it... whatever.

McGregor is one of the first athletes the UFC needs more than he needs them.

I think these are all reasons that everyone already knows. Including Conor McGregor. Because he said so several times.

Even though I think it's unnecessary to drag on and on about them, I do agree with the reasons. If I'm Conor McGregor I'm looking for a super fight at 55. I'm begging the UFC to let me keep my belt but if they take it... whatever.

McGregor is one of the first athletes the UFC needs more than he needs them.

The UFC will be just fine without Conor.

No one fighter is bigger than the organization.

Since when is Conor a legacy fighter? He's a prize fighter. He fights for money. That's it and that's all. He doesn't give a shit about being the best. He wants to be the richest. Nothing else matters. His 13 second KO of Aldo was a dream outcome not only for Conor but the UFC as well. He won quickly. Some say it's a fluke. Some say it's decisive. Whatever. He'll ride that victory right out of the FW division. He gives zero fucks about anything that doesn't get him paid or anyone that doesn't sign his checks.

Reasons, excuses, whatever... if he doesn't want to fight Aldo, he needs to drop the belt right now. Let him have his super fights, I'll watch anyways, he is always fun. But I won't consider him as a great champion, unless he defends his belt against Aldo or if he manages to win the LW belt.

You need to at least defend your belt once against a serious contender. Same goes for Bisping and Woodley.

Back