Demian Maia = Modern Day Royce?

No. Maia is one of the best BJJ guys of all time. Royce wasn't even best in his own family

No. Maia is one of the best BJJ guys of all time. Royce wasn't even best in his own family
okay, sure. But the basis of the comparison is that Maia's bjj is so superior that it's allowing him to dominate people who should otherwise kick his ass.

Maia is a better man and a far better Jiu Jitsu practitioner than Roid Gracie.

okay, sure. But the basis of the comparison is that Maia's bjj is so superior that it's allowing him to dominate people who should otherwise kick his ass.
Well that is pretty much the whole point of why jiu jitsu was developed

Sort of. Maia is light years ahead of Royce in bjj and has phenomenal takedowns and decent striking. But mma has evolved tenfold since Royce's day so it's a fair comparison. Maia is so amazing to watch. I just love his style.

Maia is better than Royce in terms of skills, but Royce has more accomplishments in the sport..

Royce used BJJ to dominate people who had no idea what he was doing. Maia is using BJJ dominating people with Bjj brown / black belts. He's on a totally different level.

A modern day Royce with respect to BJJ and personal attitude.

I cannot picture Maia taking down a Kung Fu blackbelt, hopping on his back, slapping his head and making him admit that BJJ is the better art and that the guy was wasting 20 years of his life learning a useless art.

Maia's a respectful person and fights top competition.

Royce is not and does not

How is someone able to kick his ass if they're getting choked the fuck out?

Doesn't matter if he's not striking. Maia is still kicking their ass by controlling them and choking them out.

A modern day Royce with respect to BJJ and personal attitude.

I cannot picture Maia taking down a Kung Fu blackbelt, hopping on his back, slapping his head and making him admit that BJJ is the better art and that the guy was wasting 20 years of his life learning a useless art.
what if the kung fu guys was askin for it

Royce kneed a 52 year old man in the nuts to win his last fight
So yeah
Maia bless.

Royce used BJJ to dominate people who had no idea what he was doing. Maia is using BJJ dominating people with Bjj brown / black belts. He's on a totally different level.

This.

What Maia is doing has no precedent. He is using an active wrestler/BJJ game as an mean to earn his victories.

I'm been waiting for a fighter like he since Arona was falling in his back waiting for the opponent to willingly bite the bait. I've always felt frustrated that most BJJ practioners were so weak wrestlers and have to await for a mistake of the opponent or some luck overhand.

Now Maia, just combined his fenomenal Jiu with an amazing wrestling to workout his victories and put his game the way he wants.

MMA evolved as a sport, Maia evolved as a fighter... why insult Maia by comparing him to Royce?

Maia.

As many have said, Maia has consistently fought his way to the top of two UFC divisions. All the while, he's managed both traditional BJJ representation at top tier and evolved his MMA skills to compete with a much, much more grappling savy MMA opponents.

Back