Is Gus under rated?

Stillmyboy1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The guy is a world beater. Had a series of unfortunate losses in fights that he should have won. It's funny because this is a guy who could go up to heavyweight and win the belt if he wanted to but he would rather stay at 205 and avenge his losses/ fight the best guys.

Gus may be the most under rated fighter ever. Also what's next for him after he dismantles That Polish guy? I think he could rematch Jones if Jones dosen't fight Rumble or he could get a title shot.

Gus is overrated, cl. If he wins he should fight someone like Bader and then Teixeira two strong top5 guys. He shouldnt be ranked higher than Glover, also

He got a UFC videogame cover so I am pretty sure some people rate him pretty high. Only people to do that are Jones, Gus, Ronda, Conor, Forrest, Anderson, and probably others but I am just going from memory. He doesn't fight that often so that probably takes away from some of his popularity but Gus is a fucking beast. Beat Jones in a lot of people's eyes including my own, and Jones is one of the best all-time. Jan is in for a short night.

Gus is just a part of an unfortunate era of Jones, Rumble and DC.
It's like you a TJ Dillashaw and have Aldo, Cruz and DJ at the same division. You're a great fighter, but what can you do? Tough luck.

Yes and No.

Yes because people will only take his losses in account without looking behind it : close fights between the two best LHW of the division.

No because he got mauled by Rumble and still needs some adjustments / confidence to make people truly believe in his chances of title

he has like 2 wins in the last 4 years and his best achievement is almost not losing to Jones and DC... i like the guy but he needs to be more active and get some wins before going back to the title picture...
at this point he is a bit overrated...

he has like 2 wins in the last 4 years and his best achievement is almost not losing to Jones and DC... i like the guy but he needs to be more active and get some wins before going back to the title picture...
at this point he is a bit overrated...

I think he's rated about right, not as good as Jones, Rumble or DC but still one of the best in the divsion.

You can't deny that he gave Jones the toughest fight of his life, I wouldn't dismiss it as "almost not losing". You see the fight?

I think he beat Jones and when he got screwed it fucked with him mentally

He's not active enough to be rated at all.

At this rate, he will just be known as the guy who nearly beat Jon Jones

Fighters should fight more often , they're wasting their prime

The guy is a world beater. Had a series of unfortunate losses in fights that he should have won. It's funny because this is a guy who could go up to heavyweight and win the belt if he wanted to but he would rather stay at 205 and avenge his losses/ fight the best guys.

Gus may be the most under rated fighter ever. Also what's next for him after he dismantles That Polish guy? I think he could rematch Jones if Jones dosen't fight Rumble or he could get a title shot.
I think he is.
He's a great striker with surprising ability on the ground, he was on equal footing against Jones and Cormier, the top 2 LHWs in the world. True, he lost both via SD... But to me, SD and MDs are draws. They aren't a decisive victory, too much room is left for interpretation, and too much is left in the hands of the judges. I think that if a high-profile fight ends in SD or MD, it certainly needs a rematch. You can't say that Jones or Cormier are better fighters based off these results.
Gus is my favorite LHW along with Cormier (as a person) and I look forward to seeing him in action again (at long last).

I believe Gus is rated just where he should be. In general he is rated as a top fighter, people acknowledge he came the closest to beating Jones, but had some unfortunate losses that make him in need of a few wins before he gets a title shot again.

I think most people here view Gus that way, and that seems a fair assesment imo.

I think he is.
He's a great striker with surprising ability on the ground, he was on equal footing against Jones and Cormier, the top 2 LHWs in the world. True, he lost both via SD... But to me, SD and MDs are draws. They aren't a decisive victory, too much room is left for interpretation, and too much is left in the hands of the judges. I think that if a high-profile fight ends in SD or MD, it certainly needs a rematch. You can't say that Jones or Cormier are better fighters based off these results.
Gus is my favorite LHW along with Cormier (as a person) and I look forward to seeing him in action again (at long last).
I agree. Gus proved to be the better fighter than Jones and DC in those fights. IMO

It depends who you ask. From a Jones fan or an objective fan?

Would it be fair to say that Gus is the Condit of the LHW?

I think he beat Jones and when he got screwed it fucked with him mentally

It wasnt the Jones fight, imo Gus was at his best in 2014, after his fight with Jones and before the injury which forced him out of the rematch. Then he went and lose to Rumble and then the retirement and lack of motivation talks started.

top 5 for the last few years but he wont get that strap.

arguably should have against jones, but then he arguably lost.

struggles with explosive fighters minus manuwa.

i find him a bit overrated on what he has done, but he is a good fighter.

I'm a Gus fan and unfortunately for him he's had a stretch where he's fought the 3 best LHW's on the planet and came out sporting L's on his record. You can't question the dudes heart or chin, but I question his inability to finish 5 round fights strongly. He's known as a perennial top 5, but he's gotten there by way of close loses. IMO he's right where he should be and needs to change something in his camp or training to get over the hump, he's 29 now with 20 pro fights and should still have some gas in the tank. I still think he's got the potential to win gold but as I said before he needs some type of change in his preparation and fight plan.

Back