Maia vs Shields, how did that fight go?

Rockman14

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I missed that one, pretty amazing on Shields part that he was able to hang with and (outgrapple?) Maia.

Now obviously Shields is strong as shit and has great wrestling and BJJ but still veey impressive.

Styles makes fights and Shields is just a bad matchup for Maia but not to say Maia couldnt win if they fought again. I would say if they fight 10 times Shields wins 6 out of 10. Close fight to call.

Maia took him down a bunch of times but shields was able to sweep him/reverse him really quickly then spend most of the time on top and pass guard a few times.

Was a close fight. Shields definitely got the best of the BJJ which was impressive.

Fight was mostly close cuz round 1 was close, then rounds 4 & 5 Shields gassed hard and they had the worlds worst striking match and Maia won those rounds.

Shields definitely won the grappling big time though.

Very close fight. Maia was constantly going for the finish which created openings that allowed shields to get into a better position which he used to coast. It all comes down to whether you favor aggression or control imo.

Jake Shields is one of the most underrated mma fighters ever. Strikeforce even brought Hendo in to take Shields mw belt away from him. He'll prove them wrong.

To bad he gets so much shit on these forums.

DVR shut off before that fight came on. I gave the JBG an extra chicken head sacrifice for doing his magic.

From what I remember it was super close and could have been a draw, I remember Jake have a little more control, but not much.

shields is probably the best modern mma grappler. shame his striking is subpar.

Shields is an elite grappler, but you can't compare that version of Demian Maia to todays version. Maia has added elite wrestling to his game while Shields is basically the same guy he was. Maia would likely win if they fought again.

Shields is an elite grappler, but you can't compare that version of Demian Maia to todays version. Maia has added elite wrestling to his game while Shields is basically the same guy he was. Maia would likely win if they fought again.

Maia always had good takedowns. He's the same fighter he's always been, Maia had always been dangerous. Especially since he's moved down to 170.

Maia always had good takedowns. He's the same fighter he's always been, Maia had always been dangerous. Especially since he's moved down to 170.
I disagree. Maia never had much in the way of TDs, especially at MW. Perhaps it is just him being the bigger man as a WW then when he was at MW but he seems to have much more success getting the fight where he wants it. He also has much improved striking as evidenced by Condit saying he was rocked when he got tapped.

I disagree. Maia never had much in the way of TDs, especially at MW. Perhaps it is just him being the bigger man as a WW then when he was at MW but he seems to have much more success getting the fight where he wants it. He also has much improved striking as evidenced by Condit saying he was rocked when he got tapped.

This is correct. His integration of wrestling and GNP has never been better.

I though Maia won that fight. I gave him round one and shields gassed badly then.

Maia took him down a bunch of times but shields was able to sweep him/reverse him really quickly then spend most of the time on top and pass guard a few times.

Was a close fight. Shields definitely got the best of the BJJ which was impressive.

Fight was mostly close cuz round 1 was close, then rounds 4 & 5 Shields gassed hard and they had the worlds worst striking match and Maia won those rounds.

Shields definitely won the grappling big time though.

wrong. Maia won.

Maia took him down 2 times, shields reversed him, but never pass his guard, maia took his back, but he didnt pass either, but under grappling rules, maia won (not that it matters much)

Maia gassed badly, and jake won the 5th via throwing horrible kicks.

Fightmetrics gave 2 passes to shields, which never existed, shields moved to hg 2 times, nothing else.

here is the fight to watch, mods please delete the link if its breaking any sherdlaws.

http://mmaversus.com/2013/10/10/demian-maia-vs-jake-shields-figfht-video-ufc-fn-29/

wrong. Maia won.

Maia took him down 2 times, shields reversed him, but never pass his guard, maia took his back, but he didnt pass either, but under grappling rules, maia won (not that it matters much)

Maia gassed badly, and jake won the 5th via throwing horrible kicks.

Fightmetrics gave 2 passes to shields, which never existed, shields moved to hg 2 times, nothing else.

here is the fight to watch, mods please delete the link if its breaking any sherdlaws.

http://mmaversus.com/2013/10/10/demian-maia-vs-jake-shields-figfht-video-ufc-fn-29/

8zp6HnU.png

You need to stop letting your man crush on Maia getting in the way of your judgement bro.

Maia took him down and was reversed rather quickly where Shields controlled him for the rest of the round. And Maia hopped on his back for like 10 seconds lol. Shields won the grappling.

Maia was rag dolling Chael Sonnen when they fought. He always had good takedowns

Back