There's nothing wrong with defending your belt.

ThEiCeMaN6791

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be on this train that champions are somehow obligated to move up/take these big money fights. There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking the GSP/Mighty Mouse route and just knocking off contenders in your own division (it's kinda your job as champion). No, so and so is not ducking the champ in the division higher. That's a stupid and immature thing to say. Certain champions (McGregor and Woodley) seem to think that they can just ignore the list of contenders they have waiting for them.

Everyone seems to be on this train that champions are somehow obligated to move up/take these big money fights. There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking the GSP/Mighty Mouse route and just knocking off contenders in your own division (it's kinda your job as champion). No, so and so is not ducking the champ in the division higher. That's a stupid and immature thing to say. Certain champions (McGregor and Woodley) seem to think that they can just ignore the list of contenders they have waiting for them.

Pretty much no one is on that train. Only reigning Champs Conor and BJ have had large enough balls to do it though (disclaimer - That I know of. Correct if wrong). When we had the GOAT trinity (at that time) of champs, GSP, Silva, and Jones, there was a lot of talk. But pretty much none right now.

Last edited:
What I'm saying is it takes no less balls to fight #1 contender after #1 contender. It doesn't make anyone less of a man. It's the champion's job.

What I'm saying is it takes no less balls to fight #1 contender after #1 contender. It doesn't make anyone less of a man. It's the champion's job.

Agree, but guys want to fight 40 year old men so they don't lose their belts right now

Pretty much no one is on that train. Only Champs Conor and BJ have had large enough balls to do it though (disclaimer - That I know of. Correct if wrong). When we had the GOAT trinity (at that time) of champs, GSP, Silva, and Jones, there was a lot of talk. But pretty much none right now.
Randy Couture did it winning HW going to LHW and back to HW.

I agree with TS that taking on challengers in your division is your job as champion. GSP had a never ending list of WW contenders. Anderson seemed to have a derth of contenders at MW and went up to LHW but only to fight perfect style match ups. I find it funny that AS gets "Credit" for moving up and GSP gets crapped on for defending at WW. BJ moved up and down and all around but was never able to be a consistent LW champion. Had what 3 defenses? Frankly wasted a lot of his potential.

To be a champ you are a man amongst men. However, it does take MUCH MORE balls to move up. That's why pretty much no one does it.

I think most people want the Champion to defend against the #1 contender.

Pretty much no one is on that train. Only Champs Conor and BJ have had large enough balls to do it though (disclaimer - That I know of. Correct if wrong). When we had the GOAT trinity (at that time) of champs, GSP, Silva, and Jones, there was a lot of talk. But pretty much none right now.
This, Ever since GSP retired and Silva lost most of that talk went away.

Randy Couture did it winning HW going to LHW and back to HW..

I don't remember Couture when he was a Champ, moving up in weight to fight for the HW belt or vice versa. Can you show me when? As far as I remember, he was never champ when he moved to a different division to challenge for the belt.

I don't remember Couture when he was a Champ, moving up in weight to fight for the HW belt or vice versa. Can you show me when? As far as I remember, he was never champ when he moved to a different division to challenge for the belt.
Sorry you are right. I didn't realize you were meaning Reining Champion moving up. I was thinking in terms of being a champion in a division and moving up a class

Sorry you are right. I didn't realize you were meaning Reining Champion moving up. I was thinking in terms of being a champion in a division and moving up a class

coo. i edited my post to say "Only reigning Champs Conor and BJ..."

Agree, but guys want to fight 40 year old men so they don't lose their belts right now
If this was a Bisping dig, I think it's more about avenging his most embarrassing loss, kiddo. ;)

And no sooner do people say a champ has cleaned out a division then the champ gets dethroned.

Pretty much everyone in here (as far as i've seen) is against "Money" fights. That's why Woodley is hated.

I've heard people argue in favor of one champ or another doing what he wants, but I've never read a post actually arguing that its wrong to defend your belt against a rightful contender.

A champion defending his belt? That's crazy talk.

Nah, that's boring talk.

Nice when they make things more interesting by moving weight classes and fighting other guys.

That's what I miss about Pride.
Very few guys (Conor, Anderson, BJ) do this stuff and make things interesting, like the great Saku once did. These guys all have a legacy, by doing legendary things.

Honestly, I'm kind of sick of seeing Top 10 ranks for each division and crap about who deserves a title shot.
F the belt and fight to finish your opponent. F the belt and fight bigger guys.

I probably have more respect for Donald Cerrone than for most UFC champs over the past 15 years.
He fights any time, fights often, and he tries to finish his opponents. Another great legacy.

Nah, that's boring talk.

Nice when they make things more interesting by moving weight classes and fighting other guys.

That's what I miss about Pride.
Very few guys (Conor, Anderson, BJ) do this stuff and make things interesting, like the great Saku once did. These guys all have a legacy, by doing legendary things.

Honestly, I'm kind of sick of seeing Top 10 ranks for each division and crap about who deserves a title shot.
F the belt and fight to finish your opponent. F the belt and fight bigger guys.

I probably have more respect for Donald Cerrone than for most UFC champs over the past 15 years.
He fights any time, fights often, and he tries to finish his opponents. Another great legacy.

If fighters are uninterested in defending the belt then they should have never challenged for the belt in the first place. Then they are free to take whatever fight that they want. But a champion is obligated to defend his belt against his top contenders.

If fighters are uninterested in defending the belt then they should have never challenged for the belt in the first place. Then they are free to take whatever fight that they want. But a champion is obligated to defend his belt against his top contenders.

K, that's cool, don't forget to tell Uncle Dana that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back