One of the ways to beat Maia would be...

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
... to do what Alan Belcher did agains Paul Harris. All guys have been training just to get out of Maia´s ground game or to survive but once it gets there it´s clear they can´t. Alan Belcher wasn´t afraid of Paul Harris ground and stayed there with him even after Paul Harris had one or two heel hooks almost locked in, but stayed there, on top landing bombs until he tagged him. Do the same with Maia, but you have to be on top obviously. I´m not saying it´s gonna be easy, but take a look.

What are your thoughts? Wonderboy wouldn´t be able to do it, I´m guessing maybe Woodley, if he did it right but I don´t know. What are your thoughts on this?

That's not a relative comparison. If Maia chooses to leave himself open like that though, then yes they should punch him

Different BJJ attacks altogether.

Palharres goes after lower limbs most of the time, Demian takes the back and has crazy top control.

Only way to beat him is to keep it standing and land that haymaker.

That's not a relative comparison. If Maia chooses to leave himself open like that though, then yes they should punch him
why not? both killers on the ground who finished everyone when the fight got there.

arm barbarian summed up why Maia and Palhares are nothing alike
bjj killers, that´s what they are.... good wrestlers have stayed inside the guard of other bjj killers and have survived. It´s not impossible and has been done before.

why not? both killers on the ground who finished everyone when the fight got there.
I get what you're saying, why not take the fight to them? But that wasn't what happened. Palhares exposed himself and Belcher pounced on the opening. Maia is a lot smarter in mma fights than he is though

Hit-And-Run.jpg

I get what you're saying, why not take the fight to them? But that wasn't what happened. Palhares exposed himself and Belcher pounced on the opening. Maia is a lot smarter in mma fights than he is though
I didn´t say it was gonna be easy.... usually bjj guys won´t try to stand up and will look for subs and leave some openings for shots and if you stay patient with top control looking for big shots, I could see it happening.

bjj killers, that´s what they are.... good wrestlers have stayed inside the guard of other bjj killers and have survived. It´s not impossible and has been done before.

I'm not sure you understand BJJ. Good wrestlers have stayed in the guard of BJJ killers, yes.... when do Damien Maia or Palhares work guard? They fight on top, and as Arm Barbarian pointed out, they're not the same type of grappler.
Palhares is looking for leg locks and because of that leaves himself open to be leg locked himself and can't put as much physical pressure on his opponent.

Demian Maia is on top of you, rarely in guard, usually in side control, mount or on your back. That is why to fight Maia you have to stop him taking you down, rather than trying to fight him on the ground, because it's way more dangerous to be on the bottom of a good BJJ fighter, than in their guard, because while the guard is dangerous, it's the guard for a reason, to work defence, when the goal is to usually be on top.

Paul Harris and Maia are very different fighters. The former attacks the leg lock like a mad dog so if you can somehow shut that part of his game down you can start to break him down. Maia doesn't really look for too many attacks off his back, he just tries to sit up into a single to reverse the position. So any time spent in top control on Maia is time where he can potentially score a reversal and start to run his wicked top control clinic.

One of the ways to beat Maia would be....

10000847.gif

KTFOing the foo.

I think Woodley can beat Maia.

He is a strong wrestler with explosive striking.

I'm not sure you understand BJJ. Good wrestlers have stayed in the guard of BJJ killers, yes.... when do Damien Maia or Palhares work guard? They fight on top, and as Arm Barbarian pointed out, they're not the same type of grappler.
Palhares is looking for leg locks and because of that leaves himself open to be leg locked himself and can't put as much physical pressure on his opponent.

Demian Maia is on top of you, rarely in guard, usually in side control, mount or on your back. That is why to fight Maia you have to stop him taking you down, rather than trying to fight him on the ground, because it's way more dangerous to be on the bottom of a good BJJ fighter, than in their guard, because while the guard is dangerous, it's the guard for a reason, to work defence, when the goal is to usually be on top.
That´s why I said in my original post that you have to stay on top on him.... I didn´t say it was gonna be easy, just point out a way to possibly do it.

Anyone who thinks it's easy to survive in Maia's side control, back control, or mount has never rolled with someone with even decent pressure. Nothing is more sapping than having a guy who knows what he's doing putting the jits on you

One of the ways to beat Maia would be....

10000847.gif

KTFOing the foo.
yeah, I thought of that, but nowadays he is much more careful with his exchanges and would never start the fight looking for a weird low kick like that while putting his arms down.

Back