I can't believe Rumble Johnson fought at Welterweight for 6 years

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who thought that was a good idea? Guy has the build of a heavyweight, his head alone is massive

He talked about this recently in the build up to his fight with Glover. Said he did it cos he was green and would have been smoked by the LHW greats at that point in his career (or words to that effect)

I agree, and what bugs me is when people try to use his failures at 170 to discredit his run at 205.

his WW career and MW endeavors are a disgrace and I will never root for him

He talked about this recently in the build up to his fight with Glover. Said he did it cos he was green and would have been smoked by the LHW greats at that point in his career (or words to that effect)
well, Forrest Griffin was the champ around that time. I realize he may have improved since then but the talent level has gone way up in the LHW division since then so that doesn't strike me as very plausible.

hAyEkod.jpg

well, Forrest Griffin was the champ around that time. I realize he may have improved since then but the talent level has gone way up in the LHW division since then so that doesn't strike me as very plausible.

I think he mentioned Chuck Lidell when he said it.

Could just be excuses for cutting ridiculous amounts of weight though

I can't believe it's not butter

I think he was scared, that he lacked confidence.

Remember this was when Anderson was destroying everybody. So he probably thought he matched up better with GSP.

And I don't think he considered LHW.

He only went up because he was forced to. And remember, when he went up to MW, he bulked up a lot. That's why he usually made WW, but failed to make MW.

Well instead he ended up getting smoked by a lot of mediocre WWs lmao

Well instead he ended up getting smoked by a lot of mediocre WWs lmao
He only lost twice, once to Rich Clementi (which was only his 5th pro fight) and Josh Koscheck (after two eye pokes and Kos faking getting kneed while on the ground)

so yeah, he totally got smoked

He only lost twice, once to Rich Clementi (which was only his 5th pro fight) and Josh Koscheck (after two eye pokes and Kos faking getting kneed while on the ground)

so yeah, he totally got smoked

Point stands. His plan to cut down and dominate guys half his size didn't exactly pan out. In hindsight he probably would've been better off cutting his teeth at LHW. It's not like he streamlined his game that much at WW, he still basically relies on his brute power today.

Hard to believe he made 170. Here he is vs Arlovski weighing 230.2.
images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back