Last Night: More Maia being great or Condit being bad?

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Interested to hear what everyone else thinks, because the immediate response was a mix of both.

I think Carlos' takedown defense was it's usual poor self, I was just shocked with how little he did off of his back by way of striking and movement. He's even now gone as far as to say Maia rocked him and that's why he ended up almost mounted.

I'm going to lean on it being more Maia being fantastic, as much as I do think Carlos was bad also - it was more Maia though.

His ability to dodge any strikes and close the distance that well, complete the TD and then make it count was unbelievable. He also just refuses to let go of potential chokes - if it needs to be a neck crank fuck it, he'll just neck crank you instead.

Mods please turn this into a poll if you see fit.

Maia good? Condit bad?

20160827071810_GettyImages596730662.JPG

Condit is a notoriously slow starter that needs to get warmed up to get some momentum. Maia gave him 0 time to get warmed up and got the fight to the ground while they had 0 sweat on them. The fight was just perfect execution by Maia and Condit still beats most of top 5 welterweights.

I'm worried about Condit psychologically though, since he has been hinting at retirement for like 2 years now and is questioning if he is good enough to hang with the top guys. I mean the majority of people think he beat the champion earlier this year, so he needs to get those thoughts out of his head.

maia is just amazing

Condit's ground game is in fact good. but maia is amazing. he has made multiple top or quality grapplers look like that.

Maia has perfected grappling MMA. he takes no punches, he has amplified his bjj with wrestling take downs and striking - into another level MMA will have to catch up on.

modern MMA thought as long as you learn some bjj defense you are generally good. people know Maia is bringing grappling, and there is still nothing they can do.

He could fight every week this way because he takes no damage

Maia is a beast. I almost laid a bunch of cash on Condy, glad I didn't.

Condit is done, that no fast twitch non athletic take a shot to land a shot stuff don't work no more. he can stick to marathons and running exclusively now

Word. U said all more concise than I coukd both parts.
Good stuff.
Condit is a notoriously slow starter that needs to get warmed up to get some momentum. Maia gave him 0 time to get warmed up and got the fight to the ground while they had 0 sweat on them. The fight was just perfect execution by Maia and Condit still beats most of top 5 welterweights.

I'm worried about Condit psychologically though, since he has been hinting at retirement for like 2 years now and is questioning if he is good enough to hang with the top guys. I mean the majority of people think he beat the champion earlier this year, so he needs to get those thoughts out of his head.[/QUOTEWord

I was shocked to see Condit finished in the first round. If they fought ten times it would probably be different every time. But in hindsight i really should have saw that coming. Maia is a horrible matchup for Carlos because Carlos has such terrible takedown defense. A few Sherbros were mentioning that before the fight and they were exactly right. I was just so accustomed to seeing Condit in war after war and being so hard to finish. He still has not been knocked out and I always thought his ground game was solid. But nobody's defense is good enough to just defend against Maia. He can and will sub just about anybody (except maybe Jake Shields)

Maia is on anothet planet on the ground then almost all MMA fighters minus maybe 3 or 4.

Or Maia making Condit look bad :p

The fight result: Maia being great

The fact that Condit couldn't defend the sub for a minute: Condit being terrible

Condit looked terrible. I knew he would get taken down but expected his BJJ to be enough to not get submitted, especially not immediately. I believe him about getting rocked.

condit has the worst takedown defense in ufc history

Good to see Maia getting a bit of well-earned credit on the boards.
The guy is a fucking beast and fights for a fights for a finish as aggressively as anyone.
And Carlos Condit is as good a win as anyone could possibly have at WW right now. Huge statement by Maia.

I think Condit was probably too reckless and thought he had good enough jiu jitsu to not get subbed.

Back