Would Maia of today beat Anderson back in '10?

Brockster

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
As the title suggests, do you think the Maia we saw yesterday would be able to beat Anderson back when they fought?

His wrestling has improved by leaps and bounds since then and he's been able to dominate very competent grapplers (Nelson for example). Anderson in his prime is ofc a special case, he was untouchable, and MW is also a factor to take into consideration. But Sonnen showed that Anderson could be controlled on the ground back then, and I think Maia, with his improved TDs would have fared much better than he originally did and potentially have won against Anderson via submission.

What do you think?

He would of had a better shot, Maia didn't start training wrestling until after that fight....

Doubt it. Anderson was matrix like back then..

I think he has benefitted from the drop to WW. No denying he has improved a lot since then but the bigger guys had that strength advantage.

Difficult to say if he could get it to the ground, my guess is Silva still takes it but in less of a farce fight.

Silva_Maia.gif

...and the answer is no.

Nope. Anderson could have nuked him if he wanted to. No version of Maia can beat prime Anderson.

I don't believe so. Dropping to WW was the right decision for him. Along with training to become a more complete fighter is the reason we are seeing the dominant Demian we are now.

A big reason for his success at 170 is he isn't as undersized as he was at 185. He's actually been the bigger man in some of his bouts at welterweight.

I don't think it would be as easy for Maia to drag Anderson to the mat as easily as he's been doing to these welterweights.

No, simply no.

Anderson is huge compared to Maia.

Maia's ability to take guys down and control them to a much larger extent is mainly based off of size.

Maia is also completely outwrestling guys with poor enough TDD anyway in Condit, Brown and Nelson, these guys don't exactly have wrestling pedigrees.

I was in awe of what Maia did last night, but I would LOVE to see him versus Georges or Tyron, would be amazing to see him do work on the ground, because I think he could submit them both.

Nope, current Maia probably tries to clinch, wrestle and get kneed to death, he moved down to WW for a reason.

Last edited:
Silva ran in that fight? It's been awhile

That's what some clowns said; personally I think Silva made it look like he was in there with Rudy/Radio/Rain Man.

Or can we all agree that Diaz beat Condit?

200_s.gif

Maia of back then could have beat Andersen if the fight hit the ground. Everyone knew that. But Maia couldn't get it to the ground.

Would Maia of right now be able to get Andersen of '10 to the ground? No. That was during Andersen's mythical run. Andersen would have put the Matrix on full display.

I don't think so, Maia clearly is better suited for 170, 185ers were too big and strong.

Back