Charles de Oliveira simply hasn't the will to be a champ

phoenixikki

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Dude enters the fight as if he already lost most of the times. On top of that he doesn't react well after being hit, and he gets hits a lot.

Strange time to say that. Last night he showed more heart/will than ever before IMO.

He showed so much grit in big fights against former champions: Frankie and Pettis. Even I wasn't sure about his heart at first, but I am now. He's one of those Cole Miller types who is grittier than he seems.

I thought he showed a lot of heart, Pettis had him hurt and he came back and was doing pretty damn good until he messed up, Pettis has a nasty ground game, those subs over Benson and Gil ain't nothing to sneeze at.

He lost because of a critical mistake. He had a deep single leg after reversing north south and standing up, so he drove in on it. He knew he had it, he knew Pettis was going down and he got careless. Put his head right in the pocket. For a high level black belt who was mostly toying with Pettis on the ground, it's going to sting when Charles watches that one again

He just turned 26 and already fought Cub, Cowboy, Pettis, Frankie, etc.

Been in complete wars with all of them. ALWAYS brings the forward pressure so what on earth are you talking about TS?

If the dude moves his camp to ATT to work on his strategy/defense, I have no doubt they'd make a Contender out of him within a year.

I've seen him before and know he can be exciting but that was a pathetic outing last night. Didn't look the same, too much crotch hugging.

I've seen him before and know he can be exciting but that was a pathetic outing last night. Didn't look the same, too much crotch hugging.
Damn. You have no business watching MMA. That was an awesome fight and he was winning

Tbh he looked great last night, other than eating a few hard kicks he held his own in the standup and was much better on the ground.

If he hadn't have made the mistake of leaving his neck out he arguably could've won the fight.

I think Charles gets careless with his jj being so good. This is twice now he got caught in subs he could of avoided.

He looked great otherwise and was on his way to possibly winning a ud

I disagree.
I think last night he showed heart against Pettis, coming back against a dangerous opponent
He also gave Frankie a tough fight - he's clearly elite level. I think the problem is that his career has been rushed, he's taken some damage and learned some bad lessons I think.

That said, we could still seem him bring it together - he's made a run recently. I think his biggest issue is durability, but it's not impossible for a fighter to get tougher.

He kept pressing Pettis even though he was getting lit up. Most people would of got scared and been defensive

I agree with TS. He is not good enough to become champ.

i wish he wasnt so reckless with his positioning and would fight smarter. he winds up in good positions and often loses them as he did last night. if he could maintain the strong positions he would win more fights and wouldnt get caught in submissions like he does at times

edit: guy below me agrees

I think he isn't losing because of will or heart or other such goofy intangibles but because he's a bit too reckless with submission attempts and doesn't necessarily establish his positions well enough before going for things oftentimes. Last night he was going for omaplatas almost robotically after Pettis was past his control and he'd try to set up the RNC when Pettis was on top of him and he had his back even though it was clear that every time he tried to trap and arm or something fancy like that, that Pettis would just spin into him and be on top in his guard.

Pettis has great BJJ and showed it well last night but yeah I do think Olivera could have tried to get out of it. He was losing the fight clearly and he looked really discouraged by it. I used to defend him but the guy lacks heart.

Don't get me wrong though, I've no idea what it's like to fight professionally

I just think he hasn't the eye of the tiger. After the bell he was all hugs as kisses and Pettis didn't give a shit, he was like a man on mission. It seems that Oliveira was happy to survive.
I'm not shitting on the guy, being a top 10 in that division is a commendable accomplishment but he will never beat the big sharks if he keeps fighting like this.

I think Charles gets careless with his jj being so good. This is twice now he got caught in subs he could of avoided.

He looked great otherwise and was on his way to possibly winning a ud

Nah apparently he was getting jobbed either way.

Some Sherbro yesterday posted a thread on the scorecards and apparently the judges UNANIMOUSLY scored the first round 10-8 Pettis

{<doc}

Back