Is the Reebok Deal the Sole Reason Fighters Are Actually Jumping Ship?

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
In other words, I know fighter's pay is an issue. But...

If not for the Reebok deal, would Rory MacDonald, Phil Davis, Bendo, Mitrione, etc still be in the UFC?

I don't think Davis and Mitrione had a choice. The other two just took the best offer.

Not really. It's a strong disincentive to be in the UFC, but this has always happened. Hendo to Strikeforce, Timmeh and AA to Affliction, etc...

Not really. It's a strong disincentive to be in the UFC, but this has always happened. Hendo to Strikeforce, Timmeh and AA to Affliction, etc...

but now you would get bigger sponsorships with being on Fox and shit now.

I don't understand why they don't let corners have a banner anymore

I think what we're seeing is a small trickle that could turn into a dam-busting flood if some fighter manage to do real big money in Bellator by sponsorships etc.

but now you would get bigger sponsorships with being on Fox and shit now.

I don't understand why they don't let corners have a banner anymore

I imagine Reebok negotiated to have them removed so they would be the only logo around.

I'm not arguing. Pretty much the day the deal was announced i predicted a union arising relatively shortly and everyone here said I was crazy.

Reebok and ufc paying nobodies as much or more than established top level fighters.

I imagine Reebok negotiated to have them removed so they would be the only logo around.

I'm not arguing. Pretty much the day the deal was announced i predicted a union arising relatively shortly and everyone here said I was crazy.

which is really short sighted by the UFC.

truth is, you can get away with paying a fighter less because you are so popular and sponsors will pay athletes a lot and that makes up for UFC not paying so much.
now bellator can basically have a cheap scrub roster except for a few guys they poach from UFC and overpay.
then if they can make bellator more popular then the sponsors would pay more and they would be able to be competitive with ufc money wise for the fighters without actually paying the fighters that much more.

Fighters are allowed to wear monster and bud light on their shorts. Pretty sure Toyo tires,musclepharm,Harley Davidson,ea sports and metropcs is allowed as well. If you are a fighter, I would try to get a deal with one of those sponsors. Stop making excuses and make your agent work.

Theres more than one reason. Big fish small pond guys can make more money and get more attention,and tv time. And guys who have had two shots at the title,are stuck in mid card limbo unless their capable of taking heads off,or are uriah faber,who gets title shots like white on rice

Not making any accusations, but USADA can help retain some UFC fighters but push out others. Some, it's just about maximizing income.

I would say it's a combination of things, but the Reebok deal certainly didn't help matters.

For Bendo, he had a long way back to the title in the UFC and his pay wasn't where he thought it should be and Bellator gave him a good offer. He knew he'd have an easier road to the belt in Bellator and he is nearing the end of his career since he wants to retire before 34.

Theres more than one reason. Big fish small pond guys can make more money and get more attention,and tv time. And guys who have had two shots at the title,are stuck in mid card limbo unless their capable of taking heads off,or are uriah faber,who gets title shots like white on rice

Faber is one of the smartest businessmen in the Ufc. He is a minority owner of a minor league soccer team that might get called up to the MLS. Fighters relying on the Ufc to make them money are lazy.

I mean the UFC just has to pay them enough to overcome the difference in sponsor dollars. Also, are sponsors really giving big $$ to advertise in Bellator or WSOF?

Faber is one of the smartest businessmen in the Ufc. He is a minority owner of a minor league soccer team that might get called up to the MLS. Fighters relying on the Ufc to make them money are lazy.
Well not everyone has the business acumen Uriah has. Some guys fight cos they arent good at too much else.

I think the informs restrict fighters from being themselves.

Not everyone is a magician on the mic, and guys like Big Ben could put a lot of personality into their walkouts and costumes. Right now in the UFC the only way to display any sort of personality is by talking shit on the mic.

I don't see the benefit in being so restrictive on walk outs. Fighters are wearing the uniforms in the cage, let them have a unique entrance.

It's case by case. Bendo lost twice to the then champ Pettis and moved up to 170. Wanted more sponsor money & freedom to do grappling tourneys and jump up and down in weight for big fights since he had already beaten 7/10 of the then top 10 LW's (F & K - FTW).

Rory lost twice to Lawler and lost to Wonderboy. Didn't like fighting Wonderboy so it's up to Woodley to win or it's tough for him to get a title shot. Then there's the GSP situation and him becoming a free agent after a loss.

Mitrione's a mid-level guy and those suffer from the Reebok deal. Their base pay isn't high enough to compensate for lack of sponsors, while Matt is still a big name and is old for a fighter. So it's time to make money now and BT is great for his talent level.

Davis entered free agency after a snoozer vs Bader. And if you lose to Bader and having already lost to Rumble the way he did, trying to get that title shot is close to impossible. He didn't have a high base salary with the UFC neither, so yeah, the Reebok deal played a part there as well.

I think top fighters want to compete in the UFC to get that most prestigious belt and what comes with it, but they still have to have a backup plan to make money. Rory will likely come back to the UFC and get a better deal since he most likely beats everyone there at 170. Look at Alvarez, Melendez or Nick Diaz, all who came (or came back) from smaller promotions where they gathered a fan base. Fans want to see those big fights and hype the smaller org champ to be the best all the time.

Back