Carlos Condit: 'I don't know if I have any business fighting at this level anymore'

Tamriel Terror

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
http://mmajunkie.com/2016/08/carlos...ing-at-this-level-anymore-after-ufc-on-fox-21

VANCOUVER – Carlos Condit’s career could be over after he suffered a first-round submission loss to Demian Maia in Saturday’s UFC on FOX 21 main event.

Condit (30-10 MMA, 7-6 UFC) openly talked about walking away from the sport following a narrow split-decision loss to Robbie Lawler in a welterweight title fight at UFC 195 in January. He decided to return for the showdown with Maia (24-6 MMA, 18-6 UFC), but after being submitted in less than two minutes, he seemed to indicate the end of his fighting career, citing an inability to compete in his desired fashion.

“I don’t know if I have any business fighting at this level anymore,” Condit said at UFC on FOX 21’s post-fight news conference. “I’ve been at this for a really long time. The pressure of kind of being one of the top guys for almost a decade, it’s been awesome to be involved in this sport as long as I have. I got to do what I love for a living for a very long time. I don’t know, man. I don’t know if I belong here anymore. We’ll see.”

Great win for Maia, but if this is Condit's last fight hats off for a great fuckin career

I dont agree that he cant fight at a top level,but he has been wanting to get out for a while now. If he isnt motivated,well hes had a hell of a career and given us great fights.

if you are thinking this way it's better to retire. the game favors fighters who are truly elite in at least one aspect of MMA now, Condit is a dynamic striker but his boxing isn't elite to carry him to a championship

Well he lost to every top fighters in his division.

Lawler, Hendricks, Maia, Woodley, GSP, Jake Shields etc

He knows his limit.

He came very close to winning the title in his last fight. I think he still has the goods but who knows.

I'd be sad to see him go. I still think he has a few marquee match ups that would bolster a card.

I agree that maybe this was his last title push though.

fWx327.gif

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/08/carlos...ing-at-this-level-anymore-after-ufc-on-fox-21

VANCOUVER – Carlos Condit’s career could be over after he suffered a first-round submission loss to Demian Maia in Saturday’s UFC on FOX 21 main event.

Condit (30-10 MMA, 7-6 UFC) openly talked about walking away from the sport following a narrow split-decision loss to Robbie Lawler in a welterweight title fight at UFC 195 in January. He decided to return for the showdown with Maia (24-6 MMA, 18-6 UFC), but after being submitted in less than two minutes, he seemed to indicate the end of his fighting career, citing an inability to compete in his desired fashion.

“I don’t know if I have any business fighting at this level anymore,” Condit said at UFC on FOX 21’s post-fight news conference. “I’ve been at this for a really long time. The pressure of kind of being one of the top guys for almost a decade, it’s been awesome to be involved in this sport as long as I have. I got to do what I love for a living for a very long time. I don’t know, man. I don’t know if I belong here anymore. We’ll see.”

Great win for Maia, but if this is Condit's last fight hats off for a great fuckin career
I love Carlos Condit. Huge fan. BUT lets be honest. If you have to question yourself (like he did at the conference) then your heart isnt in it. His passion is not in it anymore. He is also right about when he said he isnt sure he can take shots anymore. HE HAS BEEN IN WARS. If he got rocked by a punch by Damien on the ground......Then he should get out now. I dont wanna see him rack up 10 losses like my favorite fighters that fought too long. Liddell, Lyoto...when your time is up its up.

He just faced the most elite grappler pound for pound in the ufc. His only chance was to strike and maintain distance and he screwed up. Maybe he felt compelled to move toward Maia per the advice of his movement coach..

It sucks to hear such a great guy and fighter talk like this. I've always viewed Condit as a bit of an overachiever, not the most athletically-gifted guy out there, but an iron chin and strong desire to win. Really easy guy to follow and root for. He'll be missed, for sure.

Last edited:
That would suck if he retired. Condit is a f*ckin' bad ass. Love watching his fights.

just was never a condit fan..... he was always so hot and cold but i don't think he needs to retire

I hope that this is just his emotions getting the best of him after a disappointing loss.

War NBK

He said the same thing last time. is normal. Fighters are always bitter after a loss and sometimes they draw quick conclusions. Let it all sink in and maybe he'll come back motivated for a few good fights

I hope that this is just his emotions getting the best of him after a disappointing loss.

War NBK

He was the same way after the Lawler fight. It sounds like he is forcing himself to fight at this point. He should just retire, in my opinion.

I had him winning against Lawler
I think a lot of us did , I thought at first it was just because I'm a huge NBK fan but i rematch the fight last week to gear me ups for todays fight and i just still can't believe he lost .

Also if he isn't mentally in the fight game anymore it's best he leaves now then rather then risking his health when his mind ins't ready to compete despite being physically able to so.
I will miss his always entertaining fights but wish him all the best with his future endeavours it he does in fact retire from MMA

Back