remembering GSP/Dan Hardy

neil_totally

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was backing off MMA and on my way to being more of a part time viewer at the time of this fight.

What do you all remember about it? I remember it really feeling like a gift of a title shot because of his nationality, but taking a quick look at his record he did have a few wins over legit opponents for the time, I think?

I think this fight was also a perfect example of what GSP turned into, 'cos while I remember it being a VERY dominant performance, the fact that he couldn't get a finish was insanely surprising.

Or am I remember some of this shit wrong?

GSP was just being nice and didn't want to break Dan's arm, who was too tough for his own good that night.

GSP was taking some heat at the time for not finishing his opponents...When he locked that arm-bar in and still didn't finish, people were disappoint..

GSPpass14.png

The UFC didnt originally want him to get the shot, I remember everyone was expecting Swick to beat him and get GSP. They marketed Dan Hardy as the hardest hitter to ever grace the world of mma.

GSP was just being nice and didn't want to break Dan's arm, who was too tough for his own good that night.
Georges could have pounded him out, or broken his arm. He is a nice guy, and a good enough fighter that he can pick his method of victory against the Dan Hardonks of the world.

I seem to remember seeing a vid of GSP after that fight in his dressing room. He was so upset that he didn't get the finish that while he had just finished the fight, he hit the map, still in his gear and asking his coaches what he did wrong if anything, actually laying down and repeating it.
Seems he didn't have the right position or something like that.....now I'm old and my memory isn't what it used to be, so I could be wrong...lol

edit;;

I found it...

Alot of people always say "oh GSP was in the tough as nails welterweight division while Anderson was fighting cans"

they had to give a title shot to someone who wasn't Jon Fitch

I think Hardy had a four-fight win streak or something at the time, and there weren't really any obvious challengers that deserved it more.

Hardy showed he was tough when he didn't give in to that kimura - or whatever GSP had him in, can't recall exactly. I thought the fight was boring other than the near submission(s), but sadly, it was probably GSP's most exciting fight over the next few years.

I just thought he was gettin the shot cos there was no one else at the time,and GSP fought very conservativley,which makes sense cos the last time he fought somebody so overmatched,he lost his title.

Dan hardy was one of those guys who wasn't elite at anything but somehow string some wins together so they marketed him as a hard hitter. GSP did his 50-45 thing all over him

Georges could have pounded him out, or broken his arm. He is a nice guy, and a good enough fighter that he can pick his method of victory against the Dan Hardonks of the world.

but he didn't pick any method of victory, aside from choosing to ride it out and not get the finish. That's what I remember most about this fight; GSP barely making any effort to finish at all.

This was the defining moment of GSP. His career probably wouldve looked a little different had just ripped out Hardy's arm.

I found it...

awesome. Gonna watch this later. Fully expecting a poorly acted "oh dear. It seems I did not get A Finish *looks at camera* *sighs*, I am so angry. So mad. Someone tell me what I did wrong so I may learn. I hope to finish all fights in the future *looks blankly, straight at camera*"
voice off camera whispers "don't look straight at it Georges"
*Georges pretends to look away from the camera while still nervously looking at the camera*

I thought they should've made Kos (after he beat Daley) vs Hardy to determine the real #1 contender. Kos was on his prime that time (choking out Rumble fucking Johnson) and imo was the tougher test for GSP. In the end, Hardy got the shot and the fight was just a case of Dana hyping up Dan Hardy and his "perfect" stand up game only to end up being totally outclassed by GSP in all 5 rounds.

but he didn't pick any method of victory, aside from choosing to ride it out and not get the finish. That's what I remember most about this fight; GSP barely making any effort to finish at all.
50-45 is a method of victory.

Back