How hard is it to get a RNC in top-level MMA?

DannyNL

The King is BACK, baby!
Banned
Reaction score
How special was what Maia did last night?

I've never taken a BJJ class in my life so I'm not even a white belt. I've watch MMA for 15 years and I've seen getting your back taken go from a death sentence (where even a guy like Igor Vov was choking you out) to a very low finishing % position as guys learned how to defend the RNC. I mean we saw Da Bronx take Pettis' back what seemed to be half a dozen times last night and not even coming close.

So for Maia to take a guy's back and finish seconds later, a grizzled vet like Condit who comes from arguably the best camp in the business and has spent YEARS defending that shit, how next level is that?

I hear some white belts on here are unchokeable. Last night was pretty special.

I'm not sure people realize how high level Maia is in his domain. He has thousands of more hours doing bjj than Condit.

It's even more impressive when you consider that in his most recent fights, that's been all he's even attempted.

I mean, it's one thing to put someone on queer street, take his back, and secure the choke. It's another thing to turn the fight into a grappling match, chain together a number of positions and submissions, and catch a guy in a choke during a scramble.

And then it's another thing altogether to say to a high level fighter "You know what? How 'bout you don't even worry about kicks and punches, or even arm bars and triangles, and heal hooks. I'm gonna take you down, take your back, secure a rear naked choke, and make you tap or nap." And then to actually do it against a guy who knows it's coming and knows that's all that's coming.

It's beyond impressive.

there's no simple way to say it

other then, you need to experience having a black belt put his hands on you.
Train for 6 - 8 years, than have another black belt put his hands on you.

Those Jackson guys are really good at defending the RNC using the gloves.
Makes Maia even more impressive.

I can't believe the Jackson camp strategy was not worrying about the takedown and focus on damage from the bottom. Knowing how good Maia is, that was so foolish.

Trust me, when someone takes your back like that or even a good side choke it can get dark very fast and feels like your head is about to burst speaking from experience and its just as satisfying when you lock one in but personally I prefer getting the side choke from mount.

Hard.
It's not exceedingly rare, but that early that easy? With no strikes and no fatigue?
That's special, particularly when you consider the experience and difficulty level of his opponent.

Doing it with gloves on is much harder than without, it gets stuck everywhere, gives more space for the opponent to escape etc

Pretty easy, Maia did it last night without a problem. And Maia is not even that good to be honest, there's a vid on youtube where some random guy (marcel garcia??) toys with him and makes him tap.

How special was what Maia did last night?

I've never taken a BJJ class in my life so I'm not even a white belt. I've watch MMA for 15 years and I've seen getting your back taken go from a death sentence (where even a guy like Igor Vov was choking you out) to a very low finishing % position as guys learned how to defend the RNC. I mean we saw Da Bronx take Pettis' back what seemed to be half a dozen times last night and not even coming close.

So for Maia to take a guy's back and finish seconds later, a grizzled vet like Condit who comes from arguably the best camp in the business and has spent YEARS defending that shit, how next level is that?

WTF is this supposed to mean!?

anigif_enhanced3084214176757201.gif

I can't believe the Jackson camp strategy was not worrying about the takedown and focus on damage from the bottom. Knowing how good Maia is, that was so foolish.

Yeah. I don't get it either. In what world was Condit going to be able to keep Maia in guard while landing elbows from the bottom? That's an either/or situation, if ever there was one.

(And let's be real... even with Condit choosing to close guard and hold on for dear life, Maia's advancing.)

It's getting harder and harder as the sport and its defensive training aspects continue to evolve.

With that said, Maia is definitely special. Not just because he got the choke, but how he disguises movements to make it look like he's attempting one thing when he's really setting you up for something else.

Maia deserves the praise and fame that Rousey had during her run. They know what's coming, they train for it, and they can't fucking keep him off their backs. Dude is a stud.

But fights are ended by RNC all the time.

There was one at UFC 201, 200, 198, 196, 195, etc etc etc

Demian Maia's jiu jitsu is on a completley different level than most MMA submission stylists. RNC's is one of those submissions we see people get ioften,if the fighter can take the guy's back,but its a hard position to get when two fighters are so equally matched. For Demian,its a position that he is going to get if you dont knock him out.

Pretty easy, Maia did it last night without a problem. And Maia is not even that good to be honest, there's a vid on youtube where some random guy (marcel garcia??) toys with him and makes him tap.

Some random guy? Marcelo Garcia is considered to be one of the best EVER! Wow

Back