Carlos Condit: The worst TDD in the ufc?

KOfinger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The guy is such a awesome fighter and striker, but he just can't defend takedowns. Even shogun has shown better TDD than Condit.

BMtD0.gif

No. He wouldn't nearly as successful if he had the worst TDD in the UFC.

Yeah, this is nothing new. It seems that Condit simply as no aptitude to fix it.

Side note, Jim Miller's TDD was bad last night as well.

But you can't take away from Maia's takedown ability.

Complete the sentence Maia would make the best __________ in the world.

Maias takedowns are better than most think. He was able to take down a big mw wrestler in Chael Sonnen.
With that said, Condit's takedown defense won't be mistaken for Aldo's or BJ's any time soon.

he is amazing off his back

True. He can attack with subs and do damage with strikes off his back. He's also pretty crafty at getting back up. He just came up against one of the best BJJ practitioners in MMA where he couldn't do any of that shit.

For the level he is, his TDD is poor. I've seen worse in the UFC though.

I'd say he has the worst TDD among elite fighters. I'm sure he has tried to fix it his entire career, but probably lacks talent in that particular area. He has some of the best coaches and training partners there is, so I don't think it has anything to do with his training.

The guy is such a awesome fighter and striker, but he just can't defend takedowns. Even shogun has shown better TDD than Condit.

yes, his TDD is not super great,but thesedays Maia takes everyone down. Give him a break. I think you underestimate just what a fantastic grappler Maia is

Huge fan. Im gutted for him.
But there is take down defence.
And then there is damian maia..

No shame in losing to maia.
He is quite incredible and no one is more deserving.

No, Maia is just that good. With that logic you could say the same thing about Maia last 5 victories

No, Maia is just that good. With that logic you could say the same thing about Maia last 5 victories

No, it's not that Maia is just that good, because Condit's TDD has looked crap his entire career. This isn't a knee jerk reaction to the Maia fight.

yes, his TDD is not super great,but thesedays Maia takes everyone down. Give him a break. I think you underestimate just what a fantastic grappler Maia is

but I'm not talking about his fight against maia in particular. But you like 90% of sherdog seem to remember a fighter only after his last fight.

Remember his DHK sweep? The Hendricks fight?

NBK is probably in the top 5 for most offense from one's back. I honestly didn't think he'd turn over so quick and give up his back to the most dangerous guy on the planet from your back. It was ...weird.

Anyway, that was part of what made Condit so dangerous - he had terrible TDD from day 1 but it didn't phase him as he could usually do so much from his back.

Until yesterday, he didn't face anyone that could cause him problems on the ground!
Most of the time, even elite fighters who took him down just wore themselves out.

I wish I could have seen him fight Rory again.
First fight was exciting and close, until the late stoppage.

Among top level fighters vying for a championship, he has easily the worst TDD in the UFC.

It's very reminiscent of Mir's work when guys get underhooks on him against the cage.

Neither guys does or even attempts anything remotely close to what is considered to be standard sound defensive maneuvering in those respective situations.

It's flat out odd.

Back