Never understood people on the Internet demanding fighters move up in weight

Willek

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
'Mighty Mouse will get my respect if he fight Cruz again'

MM already has my respect for having the most well rounded and effective skillset in MMA

The people you speak of are what we call mouth breathers

I respect MM but would like to see him move up. It's certainly not a knock against him, there is just nobody in that division that can come close to him. I'd like to see somebody as good as him in competitive fights. Now they are doing a tournament of non-UFC 125ers to see who can fight him next? He has cleared out that division completely. Now if he wants to stay there, I don't knock him for it, it makes sense. But as a fan, I'd prefer to see him at 135.

Of all the weird and crazy shit on the internet, this is what you don't understand?

It's the internet.

Most of the time, demands that a guy move up in weight are based on wanting to create a situation in which that fighter is more likely to lose. That's why you so often see calls for moving up come after a fighter has seemed unbeatable for a longish time at their own weight class.

People wanted GSP to move to MW to fight Silva, because they wanted him to lose.
People wanted Jones to move to HW, because they wanted him to lose.
People wanted Rousey to fight Cyborg at 145, because they want her to lose.
People want MM to fight at 135 or higher because they want him to lose.

That's not the only reason people would like to see guys move up in weight, but it's a big one.

Back