Pressure and wrestling are no longer the keys to victory against Wonderboy.

ReasonableMMAFan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know some people like to throw around words like 'pressure' and 'clinch' with regards to fighting a guy like Wonderboy. But call me crazy, I just don't think those strategies would work at all. Or at least not in the way people are thinking it would. Wonderboy's defensive wrestling is probably the best in mma right now, because it has to be. He's the most dangerous striker at WW, so obviously guys want to take him down and grind him out. Thompson knows this and that's why he's trained with Weidman and many other high level wrestlers to prepare for that type of gameplan. And the results couldn't be more clearer. All that prep has paid off big time.
Post USADA Pigg Riggs is still one of the best wrestlers the UFC has ever seen, yet he still couldn't get WB on his ass. That says a lot about the improvement of Wonderboy's grappling. And you want to know what's even more impressive? A five round dissection of one of the best welterweights in the world right now. Rory tried to cage hump and get in Thompson's face, but the precision and angles of the Wonderboy were just to much for Rory to handle.

So far the only unknown of Thompson's game is his leg kick defense. We don't know if he's the next Weidman or Machida in this regard. But I'd be willing to bet Wonderboy has prepared for leg kicks in every camp, he'd be stupid not to.

Nope pressure and clinch are STILL the best tools for an opponent of Thompson.
No amount of Sherdog analysis will change that.
Get in and punch him in the face. Thompson is an elite striker but he does NOT welcome pressure like that.

This. Rory let Thompson fight at his own pace the majority of the fight, but the few times he did push forward he found success, although he did eat some great counter punches as well.

Hendricks really didn't get to implement any type of any type of offense because Thompson finished him off so quick. I believe Hendricks might have attempted a takedown or two, but that's hardly enough evidence to show that wrestling would be totally ineffective against him.

That being said, I really don't see anyone beating him at the moment, aside from a GSP that returns without missing a step.

Pressure...hmm I believe that's how the Immortal Matt Browne was able beat Thompson...in his lone defeat...hmm

Well then, if those aren't the keys, UFC better find a way to sign MVP if they want competition at 170.

Good kick defense, good footwork, and clean crisp boxing is what you need to beat Wonderboy imo

I know some people like to throw around words like 'pressure' and 'clinch' with regards to fighting a guy like Wonderboy. But call me crazy, I just don't think those strategies would work at all. Or at least not in the way people are thinking it would. Wonderboy's defensive wrestling is probably the best in mma right now, because it has to be. He's the most dangerous striker at WW, so obviously guys want to take him down and grind him out. Thompson knows this and that's why he's trained with Weidman and many other high level wrestlers to prepare for that type of gameplan. And the results couldn't be more clearer. All that prep has paid off big time.
Post USADA Pigg Riggs is still one of the best wrestlers the UFC has ever seen, yet he still couldn't get WB on his ass. That says a lot about the improvement of Wonderboy's grappling. And you want to know what's even more impressive? A five round dissection of one of the best welterweights in the world right now. Rory tried to cage hump and get in Thompson's face, but the precision and angles of the Wonderboy were just to much for Rory to handle.

So far the only unknown of Thompson's game is his leg kick defense. We don't know if he's the next Weidman or Machida in this regard. But I'd be willing to bet Wonderboy has prepared for leg kicks in every camp, he'd be stupid not to.

I come from a Karate background, am a fan of Weidman, and like Wonderboy... But fans like you make me want to see him brutally KOd.

He doesn't even have top 10 best defensive wrestling in MMA. Id give the #1 spot to Aldo.
His striking is legit for sure but he isn't some new breed of fighter with no weakness... The few times Rory actually pushed forward and engaged he found success.

At least when Conor fans (which includes myself) get too clingy there are plenty of detractors to level things out...
Wonderboy seems to be the only guy on Sherdog who gets hyped and also zero hate.

Has he VASTLY improved his grappling? Yes.
Is he suddenly gods gift to TDD? No.

There's a real chance he loses to Woodley, or Maia if he wins that fight.

They probably are the keys to victory. A guy like GSP might dominate him. GSP is retired though. He'll probably make Woodley look amateur, he'll outstrike Robbie the same way he did Rory. He already beat Hendricks, and Maia just knocked Condit off the list(probably the guy most able to deal with Thompson's striking).

It's possible Maia gets a hold of him and subs him, other than that I can't think of a guy who beats him at welterweight right now. Maybe Lombard if he can finish it quick?

Back