What/Who Would it Take to Beat Demian Maia???

I think Woodley is a bad matchup for Maia.

Great TDD and wrestling, Maia wouldn't be able to get him down easily like he has with his last several opponents. He's also explosive and quick enough to land something on him before he can shoot in. I think Woodley can do what many people were predicting Condit to do, and use his speed and athleticism to maintain distance control and keep Maia off of him.

Thomson is a intresting match-up, while the champ can use his TDD to keep the fight up and hope for a KO.

Great TDD, defensive BJJ, footwork and superior sturiking/range control

I think Woodley is a bad matchup for Maia.

Great TDD and wrestling, Maia wouldn't be able to get him down easily like he has with his last several opponents. He's also explosive and quick enough to land something on him before he can shoot in. I think Woodley can do what many people were predicting Condit to do, and use his speed and athleticism to maintain distance control and keep Maia off of him.

Woodley and his 8 cylinder cardio would gas after a couple scrambles.

Not to mention his footwork is subpar when he's not moving forward AND Maia doesn't need to hit the TD to get the position he wants.

He could easily pull guard or create a scramble from a shot.

Watch the Rory fight. Like beating Khabib it's mostly about TDD.

Woodley if he can connect is gonna hurt Maia, but if Maia can close the distance for a round or two its over. Maias chin and striking is still the issue, anyone that can exploit that will have the upper hand, however Maia gets you anywhere near the ground or gets a takedown or 2 and its probably over. What was that stat they showed Maia is 13-2 with more then 1 takedown...thats insane.

He could easily pull guard or create a scramble from a shot.

This is what makes Maia so dangerous. 99% of other fighters would be in trouble in that situation, for Maia its welcome to my world bitch. He has too many options: double leg, not working? go to a single leg, not working? go for a judo throw (ala Sonnen), not working? go for a trip, not working? pull guard. You just can't prepare for that high level of variety.

Last edited:
A well rounded good striker. Defensive BJJ is a lot easier than offensive. GSP shrugged off Shields with absolute ease, but he also never had a great sub game.

Condit is actually a good answer to this question. But then tonight happened.

Someone with really good TDD and punching power.

Aka Woodley

Watch the Rory fight. Like beating Khabib it's mostly about TDD.

Maia gassed like a fat tourist in Thailand in the Hory fight, the whole world saw it. Maia learned a lot from that fight; better technique, pacing himself, more varied attacks, etc.

tumblr_nr0kt3KJmZ1qd479ro1_500.gif

Robbie would finish him in round 1
Maia wouldn't be able to get him down with that weak ass wrestling

T Wood dropping a bomb on his face as so

2v807b9.jpg

Back