Mma will see surge of kickers

original doom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I predict within a few years we will start seeing more and more fighters adopt a quasi karate-muay thai-kickboxing approach to the stand up game.

Whilst it might be a small victory mcgregors heavy leg kicks dismantled nate, larkins push kicks had magny truly stunned, page van zant won by brute force and wonderboy made hendricks look like an amateur.

Now sure weve had k1 level guys and a slew of kickboxing/muay thai guys but im starting to see a general leaning towards using the best ranged weapon every fighter possess's. The strongest muscle in the human body is being utillised.

The stand up game will be ruled by fighters who take advantage of leg kicks. Think of it like this many fighters have learned good tdd defence now wrestlers are not entering mma and owning everyone. For example curris blaydes and steve mocco.

The top heavy wrestler will be replaced by the lean striker.

Adam Vinatieri will make his debut in 2017.

Then those who can't adopt better learn the check. Be some broken pinky toes canceling PPVs

You mean like after Shogun kicked the shit out of Machida?

I predict within a few years we will start seeing more and more fighters adopt a quasi karate-muay thai-kickboxing approach to the stand up game.

Whilst it might be a small victory mcgregors heavy leg kicks dismantled nate, larkins push kicks had magny truly stunned, page van zant won by brute force and wonderboy made hendricks look like an amateur.

Now sure weve had k1 level guys and a slew of kickboxing/muay thai guys but im starting to see a general leaning towards using the best ranged weapon every fighter possess's. The strongest muscle in the human body is being utillised.

The stand up game will be ruled by fighters who take advantage of leg kicks. Think of it like this many fighters have learned good tdd defence now wrestlers are not entering mma and owning everyone. For example curris blaydes and steve mocco.

The top heavy wrestler will be replaced by the lean striker.
mcgregor-crutches.jpg

web1_mma-ufc202gamer_082016ev_073_6888529.jpg

No one will remember your prediction

You might be onto something. I cant believe nobody thought of this before in the last 23 years. Madness.

Kickers will always be weak to being pressured and having someone in their face and pressuring them to the fence.

Kickers will always be weak to being pressured and having someone in their face and pressuring them to the fence.

Of course but it will become a bigger part of mma. Fighters can circle instead of allowing themselves to be cornered also.

I agree kickers just need to adapt to having good footwork to create distance and openings.
Solid takedown defense too...basically like Stephen Thompson.

Kicks can leave you vulnerable to TDs.

You have to be very careful with them. Most just aren't skilled enough at kicking to be like Aldo, and have both great kicking and great TDD.

Kicks can leave you vulnerable to TDs.

You have to be very careful with them. Most just aren't skilled enough at kicking to be like Aldo, and have both great kicking and great TDD.

Yes very true and that is part of the reason why kickboxing guys have not dominated. Yet I think part of that reason is they become more reliant one set of skill whereas we are seeing fighters who are decent in all areas. Its just the karate-kickboxing-muay thai side of things has not really been utilised. Still no fighter has chopped Jones's legs.

Look what happened to Magny. Was there enough time to go for a TD as Larkin kicked him up against the cage ?

Like Wonderboy ?

The few times Rory actually waded in and decided to throw were when he had the most success. People need to research that fight. Rory threw the fight away more so than he actually got dominated.

Of course but it will become a bigger part of mma. Fighters can circle instead of allowing themselves to be cornered also.

Eh I'll agree to that. I think as people get better about not getting wrestlefucked itll let them open up their kicking game more...
Honestly if Pettis circled better and FOUGHT off the cage better he would be extremely dangerous... Having a nasty bottom game mixed with high level kicking could be a golden combo

UFC should do a few ring shows a year. That will help kickers.

Back