Condit gave up his back because he didn't like Maia's GNP

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score

I saw a few people questioning and critiquing Condit, so here's the reason why he did what he did. The video is time stamped.

That most stupid thing to do. Did he know he's fighting Maia?

Lol, he said he was prepared extremely well to defend from the back, but clearly that was a bad gameplan.

I'm really happy for Maia but feel really bad for Condit. Dang.

I imagine in that situation most people will panic. Condit has been preparing for months, knowing ending up on the ground is the worst case scenario, when Maia clinched up with him, he looked like deer in the headlights. Maia just took over.

Maybe he thought he could get back to his feet that way.

He panicked Wrestle.

Condit said Maia rocked him when he landed and he didn't want to take anymore shots. Yes, Carlos Condit just said he didn't want Maia to punch him anymore so he instead thought it would be safer to give up his back.

War Maia!

Lol, he said he was prepared extremely well to defend from the back, but clearly that was a bad gameplan.

dont think it was a gameplan, it was a reaction to being extremely rocked and in trouble from the shot he took.

Maia hit Condit harder on the ground under a half a round than GSP did in 5 rounds. Pretty crazy.

I thought that was very interesting. Maia said he didn't notice. Even the weakest of strikes are still strikes. Shit will happen.

Maia ground and pound is underrated. He has been developing it for a while. The way he destructed Gunnars face was beautiful.

Something kinda interesting I noticed. When Condit gave up his back he didn't get wrist & arm control on Maia to keep him from locking in the choke, this was the same mistake Holly made against Tate that got both of them choked out. I'm almost wondering if this is a Jackson-Wink habit of some sort.

Last edited:
Its been a long time for Carlos.

Ring rust.

Maia has been around forever...lets see what he can do now with his resurgence.

Imo hes too just BJJ for the title but...who knows. Evidently he has some GnP too.

I did not see this fight going like this. I thought it would be Maia getting Condit to the ground, holding him there, tangling his limbs up, but eventually tiring, and Condit taking over and maybe getting a TKO. I guess Maia is that good. It's hard to tell in his fights, because his grappling never looks flashy; just super effective.

Maia leaves openings that look like escapes but...
giphy.gif

Something kinda interesting I noticed. When Condit gave up his back he didn't get wrist & arm on Maia to keep him from locking in the choke, this was the same mistake Holly made against Tate that got both of them choked out. I'm almost wondering if this is a Jackson-Wink habit of some sort.
Great Catch!

Maia ground and pound is underrated. He has been developing it for a while. The way he destructed Gunnars face was beautiful.

Oh yeah his GnP is getting scarry this is what scarry with these wrestlers and Bjj guys they could also use their supperior control to land strikes that you cant block.

Back