Frankie Edgar: Overrated resume, yes or no?

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
First of all a few disclaimers.

I used to be a huge Edgar hater, mainly because I thought he was very overrated, pillow fisted, boring and he took the title from one of my favorite fighters ever in BJ Penn.

In recent years I've warmed to him, especially post-Aldo fight - his run at 145 has been very impressive.

I randomly spotted his Wikipedia page and took a quick look at his record and my first thought was "hmmm, a little overrated" - and I would like to know if anyone agrees with this.

Frankie is kind of that guy that everyone calls an all-time great and a true P4P star - so when I looked at the resume I kind of scratched my head a little. There are some top wins on there like the first 2 Penn fights, Mendes, Swanson, but undersized and aging Faber, old ass Franca and Sherk, the 3rd Penn fight and then the beating he took in both Maynard fights (even though he won the 2nd) just makes me snarl a little.

Edgar's wins:

Chad Mendes
Urijah Faber
Cub Swanson
BJ Penn x3
Charles Oliveira
Gray Maynard
Matt Veach
Sean Sherk
Hermes França
Spencer Fisher
Mark Bocek
Tyson Griffin
Jim Miller

Agree or disagree?

GettyImages-545753512.jpg

Hating must be in your blood.

Hating on Conor and now hating on Frankie.

EDIT: Lol even his username is hating on Condit. Hater mothers make hater kids.

c6fYluE.gif

Last edited:
He's not overrated.

Maybe underrated.

I'm in the minority but there's a few of us who thought he should have gotten the nod in the first Aldo fight.

The Bendo I decision was questionable and the rematch was a robbery.

He would have smashed Conor if Conor didn't dodge him (and don't bother with mma maths you dumb McGregor fans)
He wrecked BJ whilst BJ was in his prime, but it's easy to say BJ was out of his prime.
He was the LW champion even with a huge weight disadvantage
and if Aldo wasn't around, he'd be the FW champion too
AND HE BEAT BEN HENDERSON in the 2nd fight but was robbed
He did lose the first fight though.

WAR edgar!

He's not overrated.

Maybe underrated.

I'm in the minority but there's a few of us who thought he should have gotten the nod in the first Aldo fight.

The Bendo I decision was questionable and the rematch was a robbery.

Agreed, if anything he's underrated. He should be a two-time LW champion as he got completely hosed in the decision on the second Bender fight.

Conor would have been on that resume if he didn't duck.

Thing you have to remember, is Frankie was a very small LW, infact he's a small-medium sized FW. He was fighting people who probably had close to 20-30lbs on him (Maynard, Henderson)

First of all a few disclaimers.

I used to be a huge Edgar hater, mainly because I thought he was very overrated, pillow fisted, boring and he took the title from one of my favorite fighters ever in BJ Penn.

In recent years I've warmed to him, especially post-Aldo fight - his run at 145 has been very impressive.

I randomly spotted his Wikipedia page and took a quick look at his record and my first thought was "hmmm, a little overrated" - and I would like to know if anyone agrees with this.

Frankie is kind of that guy that everyone calls an all-time great and a true P4P star - so when I looked at the resume I kind of scratched my head a little. There are some top wins on there like the first 2 Penn fights, Mendes, Swanson, but undersized and aging Faber, old ass Franca and Sherk, the 3rd Penn fight and then the beating he took in both Maynard fights (even though he won the 2nd) just makes me snarl a little.

Edgar's wins:

Chad Mendes
Urijah Faber
Cub Swanson
BJ Penn x3
Charles Oliveira
Gray Maynard
Matt Veach
Sean Sherk
Hermes França
Spencer Fisher
Mark Bocek
Tyson Griffin
Jim Miller

Agree or disagree?

GettyImages-545753512.jpg
Who else is there for him to have beaten in his boring, predictable way?

Agreed, if anything he's underrated. He should be a two-time LW champion as he got completely hosed in the decision on the second Bender fight.

That's why I didn't like Bendo's salty reaction after the vs. Cowboy III decision was announced.

He was upset as Hel with the judges but damn....Bendo has gotten away with a few decisions that could have swung the other way and the blatant robbery in vs. Frankie II and he was completely cool with those.

Beat the GOAT LW 2x (Not counting that third one, ridiculous)
Faber
Swanson
A Beast at the time Maynard
Tough and always game Sherk
Tough Veteran Franca
Up and coming beast Griffin

Frankie is an all time great.

What kind of retard do you have to be to give Frankie a fight where he landed an average of 4.90 head strikes per round
How can you land 4.9 average head strikes per round in a 5 round fight? That simply isn't possible, either as mean or median.

BJ beat him in the 1st fight, biggest robbery that no one ever talks about

Edgar did NOTHING to win that decision. changed the entire trajectory of BJ's career

till the day they put me in the gorund I will never forgive Edgar for that BS. Fuck that kid

Edgar has some good wins and losses to tough guys, def not overrated

He would have smashed Conor if Conor didn't dodge him (and don't bother with mma maths you dumb McGregor fans)
He wrecked BJ whilst BJ was in his prime, but it's easy to say BJ was out of his prime.
He was the LW champion even with a huge weight disadvantage
and if Aldo wasn't around, he'd be the FW champion too
AND HE BEAT BEN HENDERSON in the 2nd fight but was robbed
He did lose the first fight though.

WAR edgar!
Pretty good man, you're improving!

Back