The perception of injured fighters in MMA

Spinning S**t

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
One thing that's really confused me in recent years is this idea some MMA fans seem to have, that a fighter is "ducking" or a "pussy" if he pulls out of a fight.

I mean let's put aside the ridiculousness of a regular joe calling a trained fighter a pussy...do any of you genuinely believe that some fighters look for an excuse or even fake injuries to avoid fighting someone?

This idea that fighters should compete whilst injured is ridiculous at best, not to mention completely irresponsible. Whilst it's generally accepted that fighters never walk into a fight 100%, I don't get why this the only sport where athletes are expected to compete whilst injured, or at least are called pussies if they don't.

A lot people believe that RDA and Aldo "pussied out" of their fights with Conor, and Cormier got a a hole lot of shit for pulling out against Bones in April, but why should they fight if they're injured, especially when the stakes are so high?

Because they have no idea what its like.. And live in fantasy land

If I'm a fighter and I'm injured and can't fight to my best, you know damn well I'm pulling out. No one is there to congratulate you when you take a fight injured and get your arse handed to you.

This is a living for these guys, they've got to take it seriously.

I agree with you TS but then you have guys like Nate and others that go into fights with injury. I think the guys that sit due to injury are smart but when millions of dollars are on the line you fight through whatever unless you just can't walk. Any fan that questions guys who pull out of fights for injury or even question fighters who talk about injuries during camp after fights are not too bright.

No way a professional fighter "ducks" for any reason other than $.

I'm glad this thread hasn't gone to shit with detractors yet.

One thing that's really confused me in recent years is this idea some MMA fans seem to have, that a fighter is "ducking" or a "pussy" if he pulls out of a fight.

I mean let's put aside the ridiculousness of a regular joe calling a trained fighter a pussy...do any of you genuinely believe that some fighters look for an excuse or even fake injuries to avoid fighting someone?

This idea that fighters should compete whilst injured is ridiculous at best, not to mention completely irresponsible. Whilst it's generally accepted that fighters never walk into a fight 100%, I don't get why this the only sport where athletes are expected to compete whilst injured, or at least are called pussies if they don't.

A lot people believe that RDA and Aldo "pussied out" of their fights with Conor, and Cormier got a a hole lot of shit for pulling out against Bones in April, but why should they fight if they're injured, especially when the stakes are so high?
Because UFC fans are retarded. I don't mean retarded as in "don't be a retard," but in the clinical sense. This is the fan base White and the Fertittas wanted because they saw it as the most lucrative for the sport. They wanted this Harley-riding, conformist rebel image. The UFC is to sports what righ-wing talk radio shows are to broadcasting. War Machine is an Alfa male winner. Bill Gates is a Beta loser. Just bleed.

Back