UFC Fight Night Aug 27 card fan preview & guide

Rockapotomuss

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Tonight's fight night has a tough act to follow coming just a week after one of the greatest cards in history UFC 202.

Today I'll be in Vancouver for the UFC fight night, first fight at 1:30 p.m., pretty early. I'll probably take my 50mg THC tablet just as the fights get underway and start to zone in. Here's my preview of the card and what I'm looking for:

Jeremy Kennedy 8-0 (UFC debut) vs. Alessandro Ricci 10-3 (UFC debut) - Eight straight of Ricci's last fights have been decisions. Two for Kennedy, with his last finish being in 2014. Don't expect fireworks or fight of the night. This is Kennedy's chance to extend his unbeaten streak and make a statement.

Ryan Janes 8-1 (UFC debut) vs. Adam Hunter 7-1 (UFC debut) - Janes record was full of submissions, with Hunter's record full of KOs and TKOs. This was the fight I was most looking forward to, but Hunter was pulled yesterday by USADA and no replacement has been found. What a disappointment. Way to lose your UFC debut Hunter.

Chad Laprise 11-1 vs. Thibault Gouti 11-2 - Both fighters coming in off two straight UFC losses. This is a loser goes home fight for sure. Laprise has 3 UFC victories to his credit, but all were decisions. Gouti has yet to get a UFC W. These guys have to go full tilt if they want to have any shot at making a career of this sport. My expectations are low, so there's a lot of room to be surprised.

Shane Campbell 12-5 vs. Felipe Silva 7-0 (UFC debut) - Campbell has lost 3 of his 4 UFC fights, while Silva has finished all seven of his opponents, six in the first round. Silva is 32 years old and I question what he was doing most of his life. It's too bad he's not 22 and then we could get excited about this undefeated prospect. I expect this fight to go to a decision with neither guy looking all too impressive.

Garreth McLellan 13-4 vs. Alessio Di Chirico 9-1 - the South Afircan McLellan has lost 2 out of 3 of his UFC fights, and the Italian Di Chirico has lost his only UFC outing. McLellan has an impressive record full of submissions, and Di Chirico has quite a few TKOs on his resume. A classic striker vs. grappler, this fight should end before 15 minutes.

Enrique Barzola 11-2 vs. Kyle Bochniak 6-1 - both fighters have one UFC fight that went the distance. Their records include a mixture of decisions and finishes. Two lesser known up and comers with decent records and a chance to make a statement in the UFC. I expect one or both to step up.

Sam Alvey 27-8 vs. Kevin Casey 9-4 - Casey has more no contests in his past 5 fights than wins or losses. The drostanolone user has had few victories lately. Alvey has a UFC record of 4-4 with all of his victories being stoppages, and look for him to add another one to his record here.

Joe Lauzon 26-12 vs. Jim Miller 26-8 - Here we are on the main card. Little needs to be said about this rematch. Both fighters are coming off wins at UFC 200. Both fighters have beat Takanori Gomi. Miller won their first fight in 2012 via decision. I expect a repeat.

Paige VanZant (who?) 6-2 vs. Bec Rawlings 7-4 - the classic battle of jock vs. goth, this is VanZant's first appearance since ending her streak with a loss to to Rose Namajunas and taking a break to go on dancing with the stars. I won't comment on how these women look because that would be sexist and wrong and horrible. Bec Rawlings has some sweet tattoos and they may have helped her win two in a row. These are two are bound to arouse everyone in one way or another, like it or not. Paige will look to end it early with strikes and Rawlings will be looking to clinch and take her down.

Anthony Pettis 18-5 vs. Charles Oliveira 21-5 - Pettis just hasn't been the same recently, losing 3 in a row. I don't know what changed. It seems like some external factor is at play, though we have no idea what it could be. Oliveria is hot and submitting everyone. The smart money is on Oliveria, but the dreamers will be pulling for Pettis to reclaim past glory.

Damian Maia 23-6 vs. Carlos Condit 30-9 - Maia looks unstoppable coming in on a 5 fight win streak. Will the 38 year old show any signs of slowing down? I doubt it. Condit is coming off a close decision loss to Robbie Lawler. Condit's poor record since 2012 (2-4) is a result of fighting the very best competition. Carlos is always a threat to anyone. I'll never forget sitting front row in Vancouver at Condit vs. Rory Mac in what turned out to be a classic bout in 2010. I hope to see the same level of performance tonight.

Last edited:
Really interested in the final 3 fights
tough to folllow last weeks amazing card and act

don't look forward to seeing either Damian Maia or Carlos Condit lose
hope they put on a great fight that gets people excited

The fights I think will be the best are: Garreth McLellan vs. Alessio Di Chirico, Enrique Barzola vs. Kyle Bochniak, and Anthony Pettis vs. Charles Oliveira.

Back