Lorenz Larkin talks free agency and what he wants

sflcmma0212

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
After the biggest win of his UFC career at UFC 202, now #9 ranked Welterweight Lorenz Larkin talks being the newest free agent, how he feels and what he wants. He joins at 14:30 and transcripts are attached.

18:40-Was he happy with the promotion as the main event for fight pass?: "Yeah, you know, I am...I had a talk with Eric Winter, (who) I believe is the vice president of Fight Pass. He came through, everything he said and gave me his word on...he stuck to it, and I felt like we got promoted pretty good. They pushed that fight a lot. There was a lotta hype around that fight."

19:23- Has he heard anything from the UFC about his free agency: "Nope, not yet man. I'm just sitting on my couch eating Ben & Jerry's waiting for the call."

19:48- Any contact from Bellator or other promotions?: "No, not yet. I guess I'm just kinda letting my manager do his thing and come to me...when these guys are talking some numbers."

21:09- Does he feel any loyalty to the UFC after keeping him despite 3 losses: "I say yes and no...I'm a loyal dude, you know...I resigned after (defeating John) Howard...I proved myself and then, you know, I proved myself again throughout my contract. My thing is, I just feel like I don't get marketed. That's a really, really big issue with me, you know what I mean? When...I feel like a lot of fighters do that aren't even exciting...it's just the truth, you know? So my thing is if I'm willing to work and I'm willing to go do things, not just fighting, then use me. Make me work for what I'm trying to get paid for...I'm not saying throw me in these fights, and I fight, and you guys pay me what I want. If that's the case, you guys wanna make it make some sense in what you guys are paying me then have me work...Get more bang for your buck out of everything, you know what I mean? But if you're not doing that, then you're just pretty much sidelining me unless I fight, then, you know, I'm gonna feel a certain way. I think any fighter would feel a certain way...Especially one that's wanting to work, it's not like I'm just like NOPE, I don't do anything. I don't do appearances, don't call me, I don't wanna talk to fans, I don't want none of your shit. If I was like that then I could totally understand, but...you're talking to somebody who's gone to the (UFC Fighter's) Expo for the last 3 years and I've not got booked for a signing. I went on my own money just to go kick it with fans, you know what I mean? I rented my own hotel room and things like that. And that's not going through my company that I work for that throws an advance...all they do is give me a free ticket, you get what I'm saying? This is like, what I'm coming from. I'm spending my own money going out there being able to kick it with the fans and experience what the fans are going through...They're the ones looking at me all crazy, what the hell are you doing...looking at this exhibit with us?...And I'm like I'm just chillin' dude, what's up? These are the things that frustrate the shit out of me."

24:43- More on promotion: "The thing is, if I'm willing to work and you're not trying to give me the work, then...what do you need me for?...It's like after every fight I'm always trying to be interactive with people...(after)Any of my fights, I go straight to the back, I handle whatever I have to handle then and there, take a shower, and go right back out, and go kick it with people...That's just what I've always done. I just feel like I'm marketable, it's not like I get in front of people and I'm just like UUUHHHH WHAT'S UP? I'M A FIGHTER...you know? I just don't get it. I feel like I'm the fucking...mongrel that gets locked up in the basement and then they slide a contract underneath the door and I'm like OH YES, I GET TO COME OUT...Then they have me come out and fight and fucking...throw me back in the dungeon. That's where a lot of my frustration comes from. So I just don't want people to think that I'm just this guy, like...I want more money and blah blah blah...I'm so interactive with my fans and people who support me...I wanna be put out there...Market me, you know, I wanna do these things. It's like (if) you're not gonna do it...it's kinda like what the fuck am I worth to you guys? That'll frustrate any fighter."

28:53- On a potential fight with Cowboy Cerrone: "You know what I would feel good about it, but... that's a fishy subject, man. (Rick) Story was what, (ranked) No. 9?...and Cerrone beat him and moved to what, No. 7? Ok, let me just make some sense of this...so from 9 to 7... and Neil (Magny) was No. 6...I beat him, and now I'm 9. I'm not saying I'm the best mathematician, but...some shit's going on...some Illuminati stuff right there."

You put a lot of work into that TS..

I hope he stays..

I hope he doesn't go to Bellator, he has a lot of potential to make a run. Magny is a tough guy to beat and Larkin took his soul.

Would love to see him Vs Condit/Lawler/Cerrone.

Thanks for typing it up ts. Larkin's becoming one of my favourite welterweights easily. I love Magny but Larkin beasted him. It was nuts. That fight should have been on the main card :(
I like that Larkin's expressing himself and he reminds me of Holloway a bit, a silent killer who doesn't want to stoop and trash talk to earn fans.
Those damn kicks speak for themselves. Hopefully the ufc realise Larkin is worth it and start marketing him cause his stand up is something special

Larkin vs Woodley black on black crime!

As much as I want to see guys get paid, the fight fan in me wants him to stay. Bellator has no interesting fights outside of two or three guys. There divisions are crap, which is why you get fights like benson vs pitbull.

Stay in the UFC and get them to bring a card to the Inland Empire, have it at the Citizens Business Bank Arena...
1403034753-citizens-bank.jpg

People from the Inland Empire support there own, and we like to fight, so for sure it would sell out. Either way...

WAR THE MONSOON!!!
tumblr_n0wd1hxoBU1s7y8efo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

He has done himself a big favour with that win. Hope he gets a good deal I'd like to see him in the octagon again soon.

Thanks for the effort TS

Great OP.
Good shit, TS.

The UFC needs to do all they
can to keep this guy around.
Given the opportunities, Larkin
could shock the world 10x
over like he did at 202. If they
don't offer him more promotion
& he ends up in bellator, then
they would be losing a good
thing imo. I'd be lying if I said
a fight with benson, daley,
koreshkov, manhoef, lima,
Rory mvp, or Kato doesn't get
me excited.

But I'd rather see him in a 5 rd
main event against Brown,
Lawler or Cowboy.

Watch him go to Bellator and fight Rory lol

I love Larkin and totally agree that they haven't done enough to promote him.

This could work in his favor. It's not bad for negotiations.

Back