What's with fighters moving down after losses?

Spinning S**t

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've never understood this; I only mention it because of Showtime's FW debut and I still don't understand why he's moved down.

There seems to be a trend where fighters who go on a skid, decide to try their luck in a different weight class, but this has always been a waste of time and energy to me.

Pettis hasn't hit a brick wall because he's too small for 155, he's hit a brick wall because he's been figured out.

Everyone knows how to beat him; put pressure on him, close the distance to take away his kicks, bully him against the cage and take him down at every opportunity.

As dynamic as his kicks are, he's pretty predictable and offers little on the feet other than flashy kicks. His actual boxing is poor, his TDD is wack, he rarely gets off his back, his sub game is overrated and his clinch game is surprisingly bad considering he's been working with a former muay thai champion all these years. These issues won't magically dissappear now that he's moved down, Pettis should work on his Boxing (particularly his jab), and train with with world class wrestlers/grapplers. It's amazing what a good jab and some takedowns could make in his game as it will allow him to control the fight more and gives his opponents other things to think about, giving him more opportunities to sneak in one of his trademark kicks.

Summary for the TL;DR peeps; Pettis @ 145= bad idea
Pettis improve overall game= good idea.

The thought is that... he'll be bigger and more powerful at 145...

I agree tho

you act like being taken down or pressured is the only way he's lost..... Edson didnt do any of that and still convincingly won. Also in that fight Edson looked a weightclass above because Pettis doesnt cut weight. Maybe moving down to FW will kickstart his career back on track. It doesnt mean he cant go back to 155 in future

Same reason Conor chose to start his career @145 instead of 155 be the bigger man in the smaller division.

you act like being taken down or pressured is the only way he's lost..... Edson didnt do any of that and still convincingly won. Also in that fight Edson looked a weightclass above because Pettis doesnt cut weight. Maybe moving down to FW will kickstart his career back on track. It doesnt mean he cant go back to 155 in future

I didn't explicitly mean that's the only way he loses, but my bad if it sounded like that

My main point is that he's predictable and has been figured out, that won't change by him dropping an extra 10 pounds

I've never understood this; I only mention it because of Showtime's FW debut and I still don't understand why he's moved down.

There seems to be a trend where fighters who go on a skid, decide to try their luck in a different weight class, but this has always been a waste of time and energy to me.

Pettis hasn't hit a brick wall because he's too small for 155, he's hit a brick wall because he's been figured out.

Everyone knows how to beat him; put pressure on him, close the distance to take away his kicks, bully him against the cage and take him down at every opportunity.

As dynamic as his kicks are, he's pretty predictable and offers little on the feet other than flashy kicks. His actual boxing is poor, his TDD is wack, he rarely gets off his back, his sub game is overrated and his clinch game is surprisingly bad considering he's been working with a former muay thai champion all these years. These issues won't magically dissappear now that he's moved down, Pettis should work on his Boxing (particularly his jab), and train with with world class wrestlers/grapplers. It's amazing what a good jab and some takedowns could make in his game as it will allow him to control the fight more and gives his opponents other things to think about, giving him more opportunities to sneak in one of his trademark kicks.

Summary for the TL;DR peeps; Pettis @ 145= bad idea
Pettis improve overall game= good idea.
I'm pretty sure Pettis' camp never thought about this and are blindly moving down to 145

I hope cutting down brings back Pettis' motivation that he had before he won the title. Pettis post RDA just hasn't been the same. Not sure cutting down will help if he doesn't get that confidence back.

What does this have to do with McGregor? Are you obsessed?

Thought I explained it in the post pretty self explanatory as to the thread topic as to why guys go down in weight after a loss or choose to fight at lower weight. Why you getting Conor sensitive son?

extra lifeline

they usually run back up though

Thought I explained it in the post pretty self explanatory as to the thread topic as to why guys go down in weight after a loss or choose to fight at lower weight. Why you getting Conor sensitive son?
I'm not getting Conor sensitive, just annoying when obsessed people bring him into threads and take them over just because you're full of hate. If you want to talk about him, make a thread or talk about him in one where he's the topic.

I'm not getting Conor sensitive, just annoying when obsessed people bring him into threads and take them over just because you're full of hate. If you want to talk about him, make a thread or talk about him in one where he's the topic.
No please don't we have enough Conor threads already

Some fighters find success dropping down a weightclass. Maia,Cormier,Oliveira comes to mind. But I understand and agree with what you are saying TS

I'm pretty sure Pettis' camp never thought about this and are blindly moving down to 145

His grappling off his sucked as much against as it did against Guida several years earlier.

His striking was as one dimensional against Barboza as it was against RDA a year earlier, his overall game hadn't evolved that much, I don't see why it's crazy to believe he may make the same mistakes again vs Oliveira...

But Pettis was merely an example, we've seen multiple fighters drop down after losing two or three, where I think it would be a better use of time taking a year out and revamping their whole game

His grappling off his sucked as much against as it did against Guida several years earlier.

His striking was as one dimensional against Barboza as it was against RDA a year earlier, his overall game hadn't evolved that much, I don't see why it's crazy to believe he may make the same mistakes again vs Oliveira...

But Pettis was merely an example, we've seen multiple fighters drop down after losing two or three, where I think it would be a better use of time taking a year out and revamping their whole game
I think it depends on the individual

In some cases, the fighters perform better after moving up (Poirier)

Gray Maynard moved down 145 and won his first fight in years

It also depends on the depth of the division and the quality of the competition they're facing
I don't think Charles Oliveira is on the same level as the guys who beat Pettis at 155

Calm down chip, I made 1 post who's taking over sh!t? You still sound bent from the other day like a puffy 6yr old move on son it's a new day....

Does any of you thinks that Conor vs Pettis would be very fun fight to watch?

Calm down chip, I made 1 post who's taking over sh!t? You still sound bent from the other day like a puffy 6yr old move on son it's a new day....
What are you talking about? You're literally the product of incestual rape. I son'd you the other day and you started using redundant arguments and then started to cry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back