Can Conor ever be a 2-division champion like Penn and Couture?

Antimony

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Being a multiple division champion is harder than it looks.. Conor woke up to the reality when he fought at close to 170 pounds and has temporarily given up the dream of being 3 division champion. He is gunning for two now.

With LW being a shark tank and arguably the strongest division, do you think this dream is still possible or he would be overwhelmed and forced back to FW and make those dreadful weight cuts again.

Yes,imo he had the best chance at LW against Alvarez, other top 5 lw are bad matchups or 50-50

There's a huge difference between going up 10lbs and going up 25lbs. Conor beats Nate at 155 a lot easier than he did at 170 IMO. I give Conor a decent chance of winning LW belt at some point.

He can at this time. This is his best shot.

He could be MW champion if he wanted. Bisping would be KO'd in 1 :)

I'd say he's got a fair shot as long as Khabib is not champion.

Yeah, he might be a two division champ right now if he had waited for Dos Anjos to heal. I like Alvarez and he's a tough dude, but Conor would be a challenging fight for him.

I agree that he has a chance to beat Alvarez if that's the fight they make next. So he could do it. I think there would be a bit of an asterisk next to it if he did it though. To win a belt, then go 1-1 in non division fights, and then get a fight in a different division against another non-defending champ is kind of a weird road towards being 2 division champ. It would be much more impressive to see a guy that has defended his belt a few times move up in weight to beat another Champ that has defended his belt a few times, like what Penn tried to do against GSP.

I'm a big Alvarez fan but I think Conor beats him. Imo he'd actually be an easier fight than most lw contenders.

If he loses his title shot - the ufc will find a bullshit reason to give him a rematch and keep giving him rematches until he wins

If he becomes a 2 weight world champion now, then it is way more impressive than what Couture or Penn did. The UFC has evolved a lot since then.

Alvarez gets rocked a ton. I think Conor could put him away.

Sure it's possible because he's a striker who can always land a big punch early, but not likely. He just fought a fringe top 10 LW(before the artificial ranking jump) twice and got blasted and finished once and had a close decision the 2nd, so that's about where he is among LWs.

He would have already been a 2 division champ if RDA didn't pull out due to a swollen toe.

GOAT Bless.

There's a huge difference between going up 10lbs and going up 25lbs. Conor beats Nate at 155 a lot easier than he did at 170 IMO. I give Conor a decent chance of winning LW belt at some point.
Nate wins easier at 155 than 170. Connie barely won a debated decision against a guy who had to go up in weight to fight him.

Yes,imo he had the best chance at LW against Alvarez, other top 5 lw are bad matchups or 50-50
Zero logic to this. Inb4 "Eddie is a wild striker" because he threw Wanderlei hooks at RDA after rocking his brain. In the few minutes that fight lasted i saw very clear signs that being back with Mark Henry has meant the world to Eddies game. Clear precise striking, tactically selected shots and defense on point. He got tagged like once by a straight punch and that was it.

Being a 2-division champion is devoid of meaning if you have never defended your belt and can't make the weight of the division whose belt you're holding.

Sure it's possible because he's a striker who can always land a big punch early, but not likely. He just fought a fringe top 10 LW(before the artificial ranking jump) twice and got blasted and finished once and had a close decision the 2nd, so that's about where he is among LWs.

Nate beat the number six guy and rightfully should have been ranked above him. He was a top five lw before the contract despute as well. The only artificial change was when he got dropped in the rankings in the first place.

Back