CM Punk Situation... Worse then we all thought.

slickster

twitch.tv/techwarriorz
@Blue
Reaction score
I've been away from the forums for quite sometime, but I've recently been inspired to come back to the boards due to the recent rise of Bellator and the sale of UFC to WME (that will ultimately be a GREAT thing for the fighters). I was able to catch the first two episode of "CM Punk: From the Ground Up" and I not only think that Mickey Gall is going to beat CM Punk, but likely put Punk out on a stretcher.

1. Given the fact that Punk appeared on a few of the "Gracie Breakdowns", I assumed that he would be somewhat competent on the ground... In both of his sparring sessions on the show (in-which the fight went to the ground) he looked completely LOST on the ground, not even trying to regain guard or half-guard when placed on his back. Mickey is a legit Purple Belt under John Danaher and has legitimate ground skills (placing at multiple tournaments).

2. Despite the fact that he is training with Duke Rufus, his hands/striking look GOD AWFUL... at one point the show shows him six months in... and he has no blocking/head movement. Don't get me wrong, it would be good enough to win an amateur boxing match (against a total can), but not good enough to beat anyone who is serious about fighting as a profession.
I tried to give the CM Punk the benefit of the doubt (as I was a huge fan of him, back in his WWE Days), but this show just proves that the UFC is going to set him up to be massacred so that they can give an unknown prospect a name...

In case you missed out, here is the first episode... the second episode is on Fight Pass :)

Win millons for a 15 minutes job is a "worse situation"?
<mma3>

Those sparring sessions were from when he first started, but yeah. It did not look to good to me. He looked like he had some heart though. I think his only shot is keeping it on the feet which is crazy to think, but I think he gets subbed easily if he ends up on the ground.

I don't know, dude...I thought it was pretty bad...

CM-Punk-2snGA29qWqw.gif

Those sparring sessions were from when he first started, but yeah. It did not look to good to me. He looked like he had some heart though. I think his only shot is keeping it on the feet which is crazy to think, but I think he gets subbed easily if he ends up on the ground.

I have to agree with you on this one... He did show some heart in those sparring sessions.

But I foresee him getting clipped on the feet, getting taken down (with ease), only to be submitted pretty effortlessly on the ground.

After this fight, if he wants another fight... they should just give him a can lol.

I not only think that Mickey Gall is going to beat CM Punk, but likely put Punk out on a stretcher.
Do you even know the 1st thing about Gall TS?

Given the fact that Punk appeared on a few of the "Gracie Breakdowns", I assumed that he would be somewhat competent on the ground.
You should review your knowledge of Craig Eckelberg before condemning Punk of getting submitted by him.

Despite the fact that he is training with Duke Rufus, his hands/striking look GOD AWFUL

This show is called "Evolution" & it's designed to make Punk look like a chump early on, so that they can show his "Evolution."

Punk's biggest advantage is surprise. Do you think he will show his entire skill set on a tv show & give up that advantage?

Last edited:
If he does get past the first round, I don't see how his banged up 37 year old body is going to hang with a young stud like Mickey Gall.

He seems like a good guy, he's gonna get paid and prolly destroyed

It is worth noting that Herschel walker at 45 kicked ass in his strikeforce debut but he had a supremely athletic base and more time training

To be fair those sparring sessions are dated in the Spring of 2015. He is at blackbelt level now, obviously.

Honored to be your SECOND like TS.

It is worth noting that Herschel walker at 45 kicked ass in his strikeforce debut but he had a supremely athletic base and more time training

Herschel was a lifelong Martial Artist and an Athlete's Athlete :)

CM Punk wasn't known for his ability in the ring, but for his ability on the mic. However, I loved watching Walker kick some serious ass out there!

This man is a freaking monster though! dude is an incredible overall athlete.

It's to the point that I almost think they have to be sandbagging. If he was really as bad as he looks in some of these videos, I can't imagine he'd actually be going through with the fight and I can't believe that a legit gym and coaches would want to be associated with the fight unless he was paying them fuck you money to attempt to prep him.

I've never wanted a fighter to win by crazy KO more than this. I can't imagine the madness that would follow a Punk spinning backfist or flying knee.

1 in a million shots are funnier when the world's betting on the 999,999 in RD 1.

MMA is less dangerous than boxing. He would be fine.

Though I agree with you (to an extent), you can't deny the fact that the risk is still there... especially for a 37 year old with no previous fight experience.

Yeah that motherfucker was scary as fuck. I thought he was going to get his ass beat.

Let's not make out that Mickey Gall is some kind of killer.

It's to the point that I almost think they have to be sandbagging. If he was really as bad as he looks in some of these videos, I can't imagine he'd actually be going through with the fight and I can't believe that a legit gym and coaches would want to be associated with the fight unless he was paying them fuck you money to attempt to prep him.

So the UFC pays fighters based on the amount of fans that they bring into the Arena and how many PPV sales that they can acquire. I believe with the amount of hype that this fight has been given and the name/fanbase that CM Punk brings to the table... HE WILL BE GETTING PAID.

Therefore Duke Rufus is going to get a righteous slice of that pie after UFC 203 is said and done. Most trainers get a 10% cut (based on the amount of time that they put in with the fighters).

Back