What happens to Pettis?

Landen24

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Pettis was a great lightweight, but has dropped his last three fights. Ever since his Achilles heal was discovered,(wrestling) his opponents have been using that to their advantage. I love watching Pettis fight, but I'm wondering what it means for his career if he drops a weight class and still loses. Hopefully we aren't looking at the next Bellator cast off and he can get it together.

People will say USADA. Hard to disagree, except that guys seemed to figure out how to fight him, at least in the grappling sense. And then a few bad match-ups in a row, and him taking a break from S&C training for God knows why.

Hopefully his work with the guys at Jackson's will help him over time. I hope he gets back on track, when he's on, he's one of the most exciting fighters in the world.

Injuries aside, a four fight lose streak is not going to keep you hanging around the UFC. Even for an exciting fighter like Pettis, that greatly diminishes his appeal to watch. Four fights in a row doesn't even make you a good gate keeper.

This Happened...

16341737409_47466d745d_b.jpg

He just fought better fighters than himself and he lost.

He got old, so he cut weight to the limit (Conor style) to remain competitive.

When Pettis got whooped by RDA, it fucked him up mentally. He looks like a different fighter. I really hope he has a brutal finish to get his confidence back up.

He lost to the former champion RDA, to the current champion Alvarez and to the possibly future champion Barboza, that´s what happened, no shame on that.

He lost to the former champion RDA, to the current champion Alvarez and to the possibly future champion Barboza, that´s what happened, no shame on that.
It's not a matter of shame; it's a matter of him fighting for his contract if he loses again.

Hopefully he wins his upcoming fight with Charles. Pettis is a very talented and skilled fighter but he lacks the brute strength that the current fighters in the LW possess.

Pettis looks good after watching the interview. Hope he does well.

It's not a matter of shame; it's a matter of him fighting for his contract if he loses again.
You´re right, but he´s fighting the elite of the elite, it´s not like he´s losing to cans. And actually that´s a very tough call to make.... choosing between fighting lower profile fighters and make a winning streak or fight the sharks looking for big reward with higher risks. He´s paying the price.

He lost to three great fighters. It's definitely way too early to write him off.

He'll get preferential treatment. Multiple ufc sponsors have money invested in him such as monster and metro pcs.

I really don't think USADA has much to do with it. Everyone is too quick to jump to that when a fighter loses. It may be applicable in some cases but I don't think Pettis is one of them.

I'm definitely not writing him off either. He is one of my favorite fighters to watch. It's more of a, "okay, he's lost four fights in a, where does he go from here?" If he loses in lightweight AND flyweight does he get dropped? What other options does he have?

Back