Should Condit use a Nick Diaz strategy against Maia?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Maia has cardio issues whereas Condit has great cardio. IMO Maia has the advantage early in the fight when he has a full tank and without his opponent being all sweaty, while Condit needs to take the fight to the deeper rounds to work on his combos late in the fight.

I´ve been listening to Maia´s interviews and he is aware of Condit´s advantage in the later rounds, and it´s not surprise what he´s gonna do.... stand just enough to close in the distance and get his hands on Condit to backpack him or get him on the ground and snake coil him... I know Condit has a very slick offensive ground game but he´s not gonna get any subs against a master like Maia... and imo once the fight is on the ground, Maia is getting that choke.

Question: Could Condit use the same Diaz strategy again, carefully point fighting in the earlier rounds, avoid committing too much, and wait for Maia to slow down and increase his volume and combos in rounds 3, 4 and 5? I think that could work. But he got trashed by a lot of fans for doing that against Diaz. What do you guys think?
demian nelson.jpg
condit dhk.jpg

inb4

DhLJipm.jpg

He got trashed by the fans because they don't understand that the Diaz bros are incapable of cutting the cage.

No. Maia will catch one of condits kicks and take him down.

He got trashed by the fans because they don't understand that the Diaz bros are incapable of cutting the cage.

Do you understand how hard it is to cut someone off in a massive cage? It's completely different than a ring.

He's definitely going to want to move a lot but I think you're greatly underestimating Condit's ground skills if you believe Maia will get an easy submission on him.

Damien in a bad ass but if i wanted to watch a bjj match, I would watch a bjj match. I would rather him be champ than GSP coming back. He needs to keep the fuck retard, im mean retired.

He's definitely going to want to move a lot but I think you're greatly underestimating Condit's ground skills if you believe Maia will get an easy submission on him.
I agree with you, Condit is very smart on the ground, but Maia really is on a whole different level on the ground... a true master. I´m not saying he´s gonna get that finish right away, no.... even Matt Brown survived for a few rounds, and he is not nearly as skilled as Condit. But it´s Maia, man, Condit has to stand up as quickly as he can and stay on the feet if he wants to win this fight. He´ll lose on the ground.

It would help if they had ANY kind of kick.

Dirty birds and bitch slaps? I'll allow it.

Maia won't gas if Condit uses that strategy. Maia gassed against MacDonald because of Rory forcing him to work, and against Brown he was working on the ground.

Condit can win using that fight plan, but it's not a great way to try to exploit Maia's stamina.

He should look at circling rather than running backwards, throwing punches from the outside and avoiding throwing kicks.

Maia has cardio issues whereas Condit has great cardio. IMO Maia has the advantage early in the fight when he has a full tank and without his opponent being all sweaty, while Condit needs to take the fight to the deeper rounds to work on his combos late in the fight.

I´ve been listening to Maia´s interviews and he is aware of Condit´s advantage in the later rounds, and it´s not surprise what he´s gonna do.... stand just enough to close in the distance and get his hands on Condit to backpack him or get him on the ground and snake coil him... I know Condit has a very slick offensive ground game but he´s not gonna get any subs against a master like Maia... and imo once the fight is on the ground, Maia is getting that choke.

Question: Could Condit use the same Diaz strategy again, carefully point fighting in the earlier rounds, avoid committing too much, and wait for Maia to slow down and increase his volume and combos in rounds 3, 4 and 5? I think that could work. But he got trashed by a lot of fans for doing that against Diaz. What do you guys think?
View attachment 135865
View attachment 135867

who cares what the fans trash you for anymore? I think Condit will find his range in round 1 and finish in round 2. Maia can't stand with him.

If it does go to the ground I think Carlos is good enough to avoid getting his back taken. He's composed and intelligent and will get a body lock from the bottom or stall it out until it gets stood up. I kind of hope it goes to the ground so I get to see it. Don't think it will.

Is this really a thread encouraging Condit to avoid the fucking fight for five rounds and hope for a decision...?

I really cannot fucking understand fans that praise Condit's bullshit in the Diaz fight.

Is that what you guys want? Dudes running around the cage, picking weak shots, refusing to engage in anything risky and trying to rack up imaginary points?

Fuck, man.

Back