How Can Anyone Say the HW Division is Shallow?

Ether13

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Anyone can be knocked out at any time at HW; we all know that there's ultimate parity in that sense, but also look at the top ten. Not only are the elite a who's who, but there are up and comers ready to push the veterans out of the way.

I, for one, am stoked to see the Reem get his shot at the title. I've always been a fan of Reem, even though he's a cock guy, how can you not love the confidence?

Say what you will about injury prone or non-sea-level Cain, but he's still a threat to anyone. He's even started doing that spinning shit now. Did you see him son Travis Rousey with blatant disregard.

Werdum had a poor showing against Stipe, but we all know he has the tools to be elite.

Stipe and Black Beast are both relatively new, but can be around for several years.

Of course the HW division is not as deep as Welterweight, but WW is kind of an anomaly. It's a great time to be a fan of the larger weight classes.

Relatively speaking it is the most shallow division with the one exception possibly being flyweight

Relatively speaking it is the most shallow division with the one exception possibly being flyweight

Flyweight doesn't count.

Just because HW doesn't have a shit ton of contenders, doesn't necessarily mean it's shallow. There are far more manlets on the planet than there are Bigfoot Silvas. What I'm saying is, there are great matchups at the top of the heap.

JDS, Overeem, Cain, Stipe, can all beat eachother

then we got outliers like Werdum, Hunt, Browne, Arlovski who could put some wins together and jump back in

Gatekeepers thatll never be top 5 like Nelson, Lewis, Barnett, Gonzagas .etc

Then up and coming prospects like Francis Ngannidontkno, those russian wrestler guys

Then we got like, struve, carwin, and others that are just kinda there

HW is actually quite stacked right now

The champion and the top 4 contenders are good. Below that it is mostly punching power or guys who are good at one thing.
Even the top 5 aren't really complete MMA fighters imo. I don't see any of them having the technical level of Jones, Mighty Mouse and many others. Yes, they can kill most people with a punch, but compare it to the technical level of LW for example and you'll see what people mean.
I enjoy watching then when they don't gas though.

Well, I'm convinced.
Mods, wasteland this thread.

It's really telling of the depth of a division when guys who were top contenders a decade ago are still top guys today. The division isn't growing or getting new talent nearly as much as the other divisions in the UFC.

It's the same in all organizations. He'll a 50 year old Chiek Kongo is a top heavyweight in Bellator, and the Champion at WSOF looks like he could fight at middleweight if he dieted.

The boxing heavyweight division, at least in America, has remained stagnant and lacking in talent as well for the last decade.

Guys who could be great potential heavyweight fighters are trying their hand's at football or basketball, so new talent is rare at heavyweight.

not shallow because they will always have 30+ fighters on the roster but not 1 right now that has people excited. all retreads that have lost.

It's really telling of the depth of a division when guys who were top contenders a decade ago are still top guys today. The division isn't growing or getting new talent

Not necessarily. Mayweather went out on top of his weight class(es) at 40.

Because a one dimensional brawler like Black Beast is top 10. Not to mention that over half of the top 10 at HW is like 100 years old.

HW top 5- is actually REALLY fucking solid. JDS, Cain, Overeem, Miocic and Werdum are about as good a top5 you will find in the UFC. But outside of that, there isn't much depth and most of the top fighters are from the Pride Era and in their late 30s now.

Back