Nate Diaz in 5 round fights

Jaklic

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
2 times in his fighing career did he fight 5 rounds - and he lost both of those fights!

So, why is everyone so obsessed with him being the ultimate cardio beast? I dont say that he isnt. But hear me out.

There are tons of his fights that went the distance but they were all 3rd fights.
I saw Diaz fading around round 4 when he should've finish what he started at the end of R2 - throughout the round 3. But... he ... didn't

So.. I really wonder whats up with that?
I dont mean no disrespect. I like Diaz brothers and what they are bringing. But I like Conor also.

Fight that went the (5 round) distance:
Benson Henderson - loss
Conor McGregor - loss

I for example didnt know this. And few days ago I was wondering about that and went to Wikipedia and found Nate's record.. and I was stunned.
I thought he went to 5 rounds war at least 7-8 times.. won most of them

But.. he didnt

Well Benson was all over him so we can exclude that one. Conor beat the complete shit out of Nate. Most men wouldn't have even saw the final bell. Getting beat up is tiring too.

Nate has amazing cardio but Conor done enough damage early and was smart enough and this time showed massive heart to stay in when Diaz blew his wad in round 3. Diaz' output is massive. And he also ended this 5 round fight with a nice throw.

In summary Diaz' output mixed with Conors heart and the beating he put on him early played a part. And Nate still won a very even round 5 with a nice takedown. His cardio is very good.

Well Benson was all over him so we can exclude that one. Conor beat the complete shit out of Nate. Most men wouldn't have even saw the final bell. Getting beat up is tiring too.

Nate has amazing cardio but Conor done enough damage early and was smart enough and this time showed massive heart to stay in when Diaz blew his wad in round 3. Diaz' output is massive. And he also ended this 5 round fight with a nice throw.

In summary Diaz' output mixed with Conors heart and the beating he put on him early played a part. And Nate still won a very even round 5 with a nice takedown. His cardio is very good.

I can't understand why Diaz didn't finish Conor in round 4? Atleast try to finish him.
Conor looked like shit in round 3 and I could bet my house at that point that he is done. Body language, everything..
And then Diaz slowed down and Conor picked him apart again.
Why did he slow down?
Do you think its possible that he gassed too?

I can't understand why Diaz didn't finish Conor in round 4? Atleast try to finish him.
Conor looked like shit in round 3 and I could bet my house at that point that he is done. Body language, everything..
Why did he slow down?

Yeah I thought the fight was a wrap after round 3 but Conor hanging in may have been disheartening. And on pure skill Conor is clearly better on the feet than Nate so Nate has to always be careful and it's not easy to just force a finish on a superior striker who seems to be showing 10 times the will and desire he did in the previous fight.

It wasn't his cardio that failed. He just lost the fight. Cardio doesn't guarantee you a win.

When guys fight in five round fights it's usually against someone super solid

Good to see some non-biased commentary from Conor fans. (assuming you're one; I just lurk around). Props to you.

Bendo is in elite shape himself, and Nate was never in that fight. Not for a minute. It was a physical and technical wipeout.

It wasn't his cardio that failed. He just lost the fight. Cardio doesn't guarantee you a win.

When guys fight in five round fights it's usually against someone super solid

Exactly- having great cardio means you aren't gassing in Rd 2 or 3. Nate just got beat. It was a great fight though!

I remember when Benson absolutely shut out Nate.

Why did he slow down?
I thought it was obvious that Nate gassed too. He went so hard for the finish in round 3 that I guess he punched himself out. I was surprised to see that from a Diaz bro. Rounds 4 and 5 were just 2 guys hanging in there.

I thought it was obvious that Nate gassed too. He went so hard for the finish in round 3 that I guess he punched himself out. I was surprised to see that from a Diaz bro. Rounds 4 and 5 were just 2 guys hanging in there.

I was thinking the same

I kinda agree the Diaz bro's cardio is a bit overhyped and tons of guys have better cardio. Bendo for example looks like he could 10+ rounds easy. Condit also looked much fresher than Nick at the end of their fight.

I think it gets pumped up because of their triathlon type training. Also because of the fact that when they lose its always by decision and so a myth is kinda born that if there was no time limit the Diaz bro's would never lose.

If you look at their triathalon times they're actually pretty bad for athletes.

Not to mention a triathlon doesn't simulate a fight and isn't the best type of conditioning to do for a fight.

Why did he slow down?

He definitely gassed, though to be fair he also took a lot of damage and lost a lot of blood. Also he did say his knee injury prevented him from grappling and his rib injury from sparring, so he probably wasn't in tip top shape either. Combination of all 3 things likely.

I kinda agree the Diaz bro's cardio is a bit overhyped and tons of guys have better cardio. Bendo for example looks like he could 10+ rounds easy. Condit also looked much fresher than Nick at the end of their fight.

I think it gets pumped up because of their triathlon type training. Also because of the fact that when they lose its always by decision and so a myth is kinda born that if there was no time limit the Diaz bro's would never lose.

If you look at their triathalon times they're actually pretty bad for athletes.

Not to mention a triathlon doesn't simulate a fight and isn't the best type of conditioning to do for a fight.

condit was, "much" fresher? really? i didn't see much of a difference between the two, but even if condit was fresher, it wasn't by much.

Why did he slow down?
Well he is human...Let's not forget he was getting beat up at some points in the fight...shit all takes its toll

condit was, "much" fresher? really? i didn't see much of a difference between the two, but even if condit was fresher, it wasn't by much.

I'd rewatch the 5th round. Condit looks like he can go 5 more rounds and Nick is breathing pretty heavy and looking a lil beat up. He's even breathing with his mouth open for most of the round. Not saying he was gassed but he was definitely slowing down while Condit looked extremely fresh.

Well he is human...Let's not forget he was getting beat up at some points in the fight...shit all takes its toll
Yes, thats true. Hit the body, disrupt the breading. And your cardio is on vacation.
But some ppl.. they were like Diaz is some kind of cardio monster. I know he has way better cardio than Conor right now but far from it that he cannot gass and all.
He did obviously gass at the end.

Back