Connor´s cardio

yeguiza

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
As long as I remember he started gassing a little against Mendes at the end of RD1, but Mendes also gassed and Connor got the KO

In the Aldo fight in 13 seconds it´s impossible to talk about his cardio

Back in UFC 196 Connor gassed in rd 2

In UFC 202 he gassed also in RD2 and started slowing... Nate also gassed, and Connor fought a smart battle and also fought with heart and he got to survive 5 rounds. He was exhausted and his pace in RD5 looked very different from his RD1 pace

So is Connor´s gas tank only for 1,5 rounds? Or is he still being inefficient with his energy?

In the aldo fight I saw him gassing at second 11

He went the full 5 rounds against a Diaz brother. He came back in round 4 after getting ran over in the 3rd.

His cardio is good overall.

Conor went the distance with Max Holloway.

He also blew his ACL in the 2nd.

Conor still won every round.

lesnar owned herring for 3 rounds. then he and cain bull charged each other and went at it like wild dogs. lesnar started gassing after about 1:30

its about pace

conor vs nate is a power puncher vs elite cardio. nates reach, chin, and gameplan apply maximum pressure. conor will never have elite cardio just like nate will never have elite punching power. if nate had an average chin it would have been a cakewalk. if conor didnt pace himself the last 3 rounds would have been a cakewalk for nate and easily finish him

imagine he with good cardio for 5 rounds? holy shit, nobody would last 5 rounds against that hability and skill.

As long as I remember he started gassing a little against Mendes at the end of RD1, but Mendes also gassed and Connor got the KO

In UFC 202 he gassed also in RD2 and started slowing... Nate also gassed, and Connor fought a smart battle and also fought with heart and he got to survive 5 rounds. He was exhausted and his pace in RD5 looked very different from his RD1 pace

So is Connor´s gas tank only for 1,5 rounds? Or is he still being inefficient with his energy?

He is an explosive guy he wont look the same as he does in round 1 in round 5 but the dip so early is worrying.If you listen to firas zahabis breakdowns he talks about conor not actively recovering during rounds and instead just using the stool inbetween rounds.Makes sense its just anthor skill he needs to learn.If you look at cruz the guy is taking massive breaths inside the first round to try and get as much oxygen as he can and looks the same in the 5th as he does in the 1st.

He's got terrible cardio. It is downright laughable that his nuthuggers still claim his cardio is good. He reminds of Weidman in that he gassed out in every fight yet there was an excuse ready - short notice against maia, nerves against silva 1, body shots against Machida and finally after Rockhold his cardio has been accepted as shitty. Conor has gassed out in 3 out of his last 4 fights and the one where he didn't was 13 seconds and still there are excuses for him.

Having said that, he showed an ability to get through 5 rds while completely gassed which is quite admirable and I've seen very few fighters able to do that and that includes Weidman against Machida. Shogun also showed this ability numerous times and it comes in handy especially when your opponent is also gassed. On the other spectrum, there are fighters like Reem who when gassed just completely give up and become a zombie and quit fighting.

Based on what we saw in his last two fights, yes.

His cardio is shit. It isn't even disputable.

He went the full 5 rounds against a Diaz brother. He came back in round 4 after getting ran over in the 3rd.

His cardio is good overall.

At 170.

Now he gets to fight at 155. "All fookin day" xD

I haven't seen too much of him going the distance so I can't say he has horrible cardio yet. I have yet to see how he'll do at 155 with his cardio. It might be great or it might be the same.

His style is basically centered around throwing extremely hard bombs, he will always get tired if he doesn't put someone away

Conor went the distance with Max Holloway.

He also blew his ACL in the 2nd.

Conor still won every round.
He was also significantly less active in the third round of that fight than he usually is.

McGregor doesn't have the cardio to fight at his preferred pace for 5, or even 3, rounds without gassing. He can barely keep it up for two.

Cardio is something that one have to work on for years and years with consistent training. Doing long runs at a slow pace with no rest is one way to become a cardio machine. Doing explosive cardio drills don't get you there IMO.
Conor has just begun he's cardio training and I think we will see a better Conor if he continues he's conditioning regime year around and if he comes in 4-5 pounds lighter.

Cardio is something that one have to work on for years and years with consistent training. Doing long runs at a slow pace with no rest is one way to become a cardio machine. Doing explosive cardio drills don't get you there IMO.
Conor has just begun he's cardio training and I think we will see a better Conor if he continues he's conditioning regime year around and if he comes in 4-5 pounds lighter.
Low intense long cardio is going to improve your low intensity cardio.
Sprinting type exercises is imo better for MMA. Learn to breathe and your body gets used to the explosive muscle usage.

Low intense long cardio is going to improve your low intensity cardio.
Sprinting type exercises is imo better for MMA. Learn to breathe and your body gets used to the explosive muscle usage.
Thats the old saying, but new research suggests that you need both. Low intensity cardio gives atheleats the ability to recover while youre body is working. Mabey breath managment can make up for it, I dont know. Super slow looong runs has always been a part of boxing.

Back