Question about Dominic Cruz

tenniswhiz

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I've watched Cruz fight many times, which probably amounts to several dozen hours of footage.
A Cruz fight is typically much like a Dostoevsky novel. Very long, and much maturity and patience is required to gain a deep understanding of the brilliance inside of it.

My question about Cruz is this?
Why does he often surprise his opponents with a sudden TD?
I ask, because he knows he can't keep them down for more than a few seconds, and sometimes he just lets them up immediately.
So why take them down in the first place?

I'm more of a Brothers Diaz type of guy.
Hoping some of you brilliant Brothers Karamazov types can help me understand why Cruz bothers to take an opponent down.

Thanks.

Stealing rounds, point fighting, DDR, etc...Cruz stuff.

y02jX5.gif

Ultimate point fighting, controls the striking and grappling exchanges then.

From a technical standpoint:

I would assume to constantly make them work by never letting them settle in to their comfy guard.

I don't think they look forward to constant scrambles, TD defense attempts, and getting back up to more of Dominicks movement mayhem.

Scrambles absolutely sap your gas tank.

From a technical standpoint:

I would assume to constantly make them work by never letting them settle in to their comfy guard.

I don't think they look forward to constant scrambles, TD defense attempts, and getting back up to more of Dominicks movement mayhem.

Scrambles absolutely sap your gas tank.

Nice breakdown BRAZIL WAND.....When you're not being a prick, you can actually put out some good stuff. I'm impressed, mind blown actually.

MLezO.gif

I've watched Cruz fight many times, which probably amounts to several dozen hours of footage.
A Cruz fight is typically much like a Dostoevsky novel. Very long, and much maturity and patience is required to gain a deep understanding of the brilliance inside of it.

I ask, because he knows he can't keep them down for more than a few seconds, and sometimes he just lets them up immediately.

Hoping some of you brilliant Brothers Karamazov types can help me understand why Cruz bothers to take an opponent down.

Thanks.
As a guy with Dominick Cruz in his AV and a Dostoievsky book in his bag (I actually started reading it today) I think Im the most appropiate Sherdog to answer your question, by far.

He mixes takedowns to score points and keep his opponents guessing what he is going to do. It is all about being unpredictable and keep your opponent unconfortable. Plus in a close round a takedown makes the difference either you control your opponent or not.

BTW... just like most of Dostoievsky novels Cruz career has been plagued with health issues.
IDK about the gambling and alcoholism. Lets see where life takes him.

Points.

Maybe he feels like the round is too close and scores a TD to secure the round for himself?

To at the very least discourage his opponents from walking forward. When he's keen on it, he'll absolutely grapplefuck people too (Mighty Mouse, for example).

It's a deterrent
It stops forward aggression
Scrambling is exhausting, and he actually typically leaves openings for guys to scramble -
This is important. Scrambling typically requires explosive moments, you have to really put effort into getting back up, Cruz is tricky and leaves little openings while giving just enough resistance that guys put a lot of effort into standing while he's not putting much effort into holding them.
It lowers hands
It confuses distance
And puncing into and out of clinch/wrestling exchanges is the most underrated aspect of MMA, you can wreck dudes by doing it.

Its also point fighting. The way Cruz fights I wouldn't be surprised if he's attending MMA judging seminars, he fights with a great mind for the clock and a knowledge of when/how to do certain things to secure or sway rounds to his favor.

Thanks.

There are very few people that time TDs like Cruz can, GSP comes to mind. Not many others. That comes from Cruz being a very intelligent fighter. He knows how to mix it up and keep opponents guessing like GSP. He knows what he needs to win, and takedowns = points = a win for Cruz. His balance and timing are great, but the rest of his grappling game does have some holes, and his pressure on top isn't great, so it allows fighters to get up easier, and creates a mindset for Cruz to get the point and get out instead of comitting.

Stealing rounds, point fighting, DDR, etc...Cruz stuff.

y02jX5.gif

This is why it's so surprising there are no Asian champions in the UFC. Cruz set the blueprint...come on guys. DDR champ would be UFC champ with 3 months of training.

As a guy with Dominick Cruz in his AV and a Dostoievsky book in his bag (I actually started reading it today) I think Im the most appropiate Sherdog to answer your question, by far.

He mixes takedowns to score points and keep his opponents guessing what he is going to do. It is all about being unpredictable and keep your opponent unconfortable. Plus in a close round a takedown makes the difference either you control your opponent or not.

BTW... just like most of Dostoievsky novels Cruz career has been plagued with health issues.
IDK about the gambling and alcoholism. Lets see where life takes him.

LOL for some reason I thought you were that Jolly guy for a second--maybe he had a Cruz av?--and I was about to chortle uncontrollably at the idea of him reading Dostoyevsky, let alone knowing who Fyodor Mikhailovich was.

Because it sets up the rest of his game... duh.

I think you should do some re-watching. Dom has only been unable to hold his opponents down on two occasions.

1. Second Faber fight

2. TJ fight

Both top wrestlers...but so were Jorgensen, Benavidez x2 & Demousetrious. Even Faber the third time. Dom having bad top control is a myth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back