Nate Diaz does NOT possess high level boxing.

Snyper

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
First, I will point out that Nate Diaz is a tremendous volume puncher with sharp combinations and is quite possibly the toughest fighter in MMA. He is a wizard on the mat and has the cardio to drown a fighter if they start to slow down. His mental toughness is remarkable and his in-fight trash talk/ slaps are definitely an attribute that can fluster even the most talented of fighters.
But when it comes to boxing, Nate relies heavily on striking and pulling straight back to avoid the counter. McGregor was able to exploit this repeatedly by simultaneously countering Nate as he was throwing. In that fight, I can't remember one time that Nate "drew out the counter" by feinting his strikes, something someone with "excellent boxing" would adjust to. His head movement was non existent as he relied mostly on his arms and hands(and face) to block the shots. Particularly in this fight(but has been done in others), which showcased quite a bit of boxing, Nate was so overmatched that he turned into a panic wall-and-staller. His boxing defense is relies on an iron chin and extreme willpower/ self believe, but has serious fundamental holes when applied in MMA. His footwork is average at best and causes him to absorb more damage than necessary while also failing him when trying to "cut off" an opponents angles. So, excellent puncher? Absolutely.. Excellent boxer? Definitely not, in my opinion. Thoughts?

I agree. I think Nate's boxing has become extremely overrated. He is a predictable striker and we saw him get countered multiple times and he didn't seem to adjust as high level boxers do.

I just dont think you appreciate nate's style.

he tires people out letting them punch his face.

Nate would have beat Conor in a 10 round boxing match. Pretty handily imo

No one in the UFC has "high-level" boxing, Nate and Conor both have good boxing for MMA though.

Majority Split vs The Irish Art Jimmerson.

Jimmerson was a very talented and skilled boxer.

I think you're wrong, he's a pretty damn good boxer.
I just think he's not a great striker.
The reason why McGregor had the success he did early was two fold - speed advantage and leg kicks.
And by that I mean, since McGregor was the only kicker in the fight he extended the range and forced Diaz to have to cover distance, something that being the naturally longer man in most fights he doesn't have to deal with. It's the same reason Ben Henderson styled all over him. Nate was forced to cross the distance and he has the bad habit of over extending, it becomes more evident when he's forced to lead in that way.

That doesn't mean his boxing isn't high level though, there are great boxers in all combat sports with bad habits that can be exploited. It just means he's not fantastic at adapting, but he eventually did in end of the third by drawing Conor into the clinch fight - which is a legit boxing strategy. Lean on the smaller man, tie him up, and punish him when he swims free. Because the ref doesn't break you up like in a real boxing match, it's a pretty brillante use of boxing in MMA

Watch his second and third rounds with Michael Johnson, he drew the counter plenty of times.

Every fighter's credentials and skills are discredited upon losing.

Watch Nate vs MJ and tell me that's not a great fucking boxer.

You know who else leans back to avoid counters? Wlad Klitschko. Guess he sucks too. It's something only taller fighters can get away with.

I agree he lets his chin and cardio do 75% of the work on the feet.

Yeah and white fucking belt TS is the best striker! FFS stupid thread like this should get instant ban!
MMA boxing and boxing is total different! Do u not train?

Both Diaz and McGregor have excellent boxing relative to the rest of the UFC, with one or two exceptions.

Watch Nate vs Donald and Nate vs Gomi and then look me in the face and tell me if his boxing is on the lower spectrum for UFC standards

Majority Split vs The Irish Art Jimmerson.

Jimmerson was a very talented and skilled boxer.

Jimmerson did not get submitted, he did not give his back, he got headbutted hard, and he managed to wrap Royce up even with a boxing glove on one hand.
It's kind of impressive TBH.

Love Nate but his boxing is average at best.

No one in the UFC has "high-level" boxing, Nate and Conor both have good boxing for MMA though.
i think conor has the best boxe in mma. like he said on instagram: you dont see that shots that he landed in mma. when hes fresh, he's awesome!!!

Back