Diaz vs Conor 2, did anybody else notice???

Aforo88

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ive been consuming MMA media like a true fanboy for the last week and Im surprised nobody has mentioned the strikes that turned the momentum in RD4 In favor of Conor and ultimately won him the fight. The body shots that starts at 3:55 remaining of the 4 rd!

Diaz said after the fight that he had a bad rib injury and it really shows at the 3:55 mark in RD4. The combo delivered by McGregor clearly hurt Diaz bad, and he's forward pressure that he had sustained for almost 8 minutes all of a sudden stops at a blink of a second!

This moment makes me think that Diaz should be a favorite going in to the 3rd fight.

To me this was a BIG deal but no one seems to mention it at all.

PS: I was rooting for Conor and had him winning 3-2.

Nate won that fight but im not sure about the third. Conor is making fast progress and making the right decisions.

Kind of like how Diaz nailed Mcgregor with a big shot in the 1st right in that 2nd round, which ultimately lead to Conor going for a takedown and getting subbed.

This moment made me think to favor Mcgregor in the rematch.

Dat rib kick shortly after that punch actually buckled Nate

Nate won that fight but im not sure about the third. Conor is making fast progress and making the right decisions.
which rounds do you have Nate winning? & outside of the 3rd & 5th... why?

You're gonna need some good reasons why nates pitty pats beat Conor's knockdown punches if you're talking either of the first 2 rounds.

Round 4 wasn't even close. Conor won that by a landslide. 13 power shots to 3 & two of them buckled Nate whereas nothing buckled Conor.

Kind of like how Diaz nailed Mcgregor with a big shot in the 1st right in that 2nd round, which ultimately lead to Conor going for a takedown and getting subbed.

This moment made me think to favor Mcgregor in the rematch.

Ha ha, U funny!!! :)

My point being, coming in to a fight with a significant injury that shows to the naked eye in a fight should have some say when it goes to a close decision? Shouldn't it?

I would pick Nate in the 3rd fight too.

But they are not going to give Nate the rubber match....

Nate also got blood in his eyes and he slowed down a lot that round from that.

Ha ha, U funny!!! :)

My point being, coming in to a fight with a significant injury that shows to the naked eye in a fight should have some say when it goes to a close decision? Shouldn't it?

No, it shouldn't. Injuries happen. Conor probably had injuries going into the fight as well. Sore ribs, sore legs.... just excuses by Diaz bros, refusing to accept they do anything wrong or have room for improvements. If the injury was that serious, he wouldn't have been cleared to fight.

I think they would have chance at belts if they decided to improve the obvious holes in their games.

No, it shouldn't. Injuries happen. Conor probably had injuries going into the fight as well. Sore ribs, sore legs.... just excuses by Diaz bros, refusing to accept they do anything wrong or have room for improvements. If the injury was that serious, he wouldn't have been cleared to fight.

I think they would have chance at belts if they decided to improve the obvious holes in their games.

What would make me lean in favor of Conor in a 3rd match is that he made huge adjustments to deal with the reach, durability and endless cardio of Nate. The full camp actually helped Conor a lot more than it helped Nate because Conor's team came up with a gameplan to beat Nate. They worked hard on specific things (leg kicks, sharper boxing, pacing to preserve Conor's limited cardio) and ultimately that made the difference.

Nate came in the way he always does.
Conor made improvements specifically to correct his shortcomings in the first match.

In a 3rd bout Conor's team would continue to improve on these things while I would expect Nate to come in the same (maybe less injured).

That name suits your absurd comment

Last edited by a moderator:
the hd fight is on youtube i suggest you canor cucks actually watch it before making posts

You're gonna need some good reasons why nates pitty pats beat Conor's knockdown punches if you're talking either of the first 2 rounds.

Round 4 wasn't even close. Conor won that by a landslide. 13 power shots to 3 & two of them buckled Nate whereas nothing buckled Conor.
I'm not the guy who said Nate won. I have Conor winning or a draw.

I will say this, because I just rewatched the fight. In the fourth, Conor spent most of the time clinched against the cage. I know you're saying it was a landslide but that is just not true. Sure, he landed those shots that buckled Nate. That being said, historically, we have seen those rounds going to the guy who presses the other guy against the cage. If you watch Alvarez-Pettis, Pettis wobbled the fuck out of Alvarez in two of the three rounds and still lost because he was clinched against the fence (he wasn't taken down). That is the norm we are accustomed to seeing so it wouldn't have been insane to see Nate take the fourth (albeit I gave it to Conor).

The same can be said about the second. Conor drops Nate twice in the first minute. But after that, he gasses epically and the last 90 seconds of that round are domination by Nate. Many people rightfully think Conor was saved by the bell. I'm not saying he won the second, but again, you have to consider that it wouldn't have been weird to give Nate that round. If you watch Barbosa-Melendez. Melendez drops Barboza in the second and wobbles him again shortly after. He lands the crisper combinations that round and Barboza steals the round from under his feet on all three judges scorecards with a takedown a ground and pound with 12 seconds left. Nate dominated the last 90, we have seen weirder shit than Nate getting the second round.

What I'm trying to say is I agree with Conor winning, but people need to stop acting like it was a landslide or there is no validity to Nate winning. There is an argument for both sides imo. Albeit, mine would be a draw or Conor winning but I can easily see, especially after rematching, why people would think Nate should have won either the second or the fourth.

What would make me lean in favor of Conor in a 3rd match is that he made huge adjustments to deal with the reach, durability and endless cardio of Nate. The full camp actually helped Conor a lot more than it helped Nate because Conor's team came up with a gameplan to beat Nate. They worked hard on specific things (leg kicks, sharper boxing, pacing to preserve Conor's limited cardio) and ultimately that made the difference.

Nate came in the way he always does.
Conor made improvements specifically to correct his shortcomings in the first match.

In a 3rd bout Conor's team would continue to improve on these things while I would expect Nate to come in the same (maybe less injured).

Exactly. Conor would come with a gameplan again. You will almost guaranteed see Diaz doing the exact same thing, even if he is losing. They have 0 ability to adapt to anyone that follows a gameplan against them.

conor came in light and with a game plan, nate came in heavy and expecting the fight to play out the same as the 1st fight. conor spent 300k on his fight camp and apparently was on a structured diet and conditioning routine. he sparred tall southpaws and obviously worked on his leg kicks and take down defense. nate can win the rematch but he's going to have to come with a plan b and c!!!

When it comes to dominance, Nate got R4 controlling the fight and dominating it for more time than Conor. Taking a look at R4 a couple times i can say Nate got it along with 3 and 5.

I scored it a draw (2-2-1) with round four being even. Could have gone either way. Tremendous heart, courage, skill and talent on display that night. Hats off to both guys.

As for Conor's round four body punching, I did notice that he had success with it and was quite surprised that it had such a strong affect on Nate. That may say more about Conor's punching power than anything else.

Can't say enough about Nate's courage and determination. His legend only grew in my mind. Conor's straight left is a deceptively quick and precise cannon that Nate simply could not avoid.

There are ways in which Nate has more than legit chances to win in a 3rd fight. His approach should be different. He can win an ugly fight. Standing in the outside and boxing for prolonged periods of time not the best idea. I just don't know how you tell someone who has so much confidence in his boxing to do something different.

I'm not the guy who said Nate won. I have Conor winning or a draw.

I will say this, because I just rewatched the fight. In the fourth, Conor spent most of the time clinched against the cage. I know you're saying it was a landslide but that is just not true. Sure, he landed those shots that buckled Nate. That being said, historically, we have seen those rounds going to the guy who presses the other guy against the cage. If you watch Alvarez-Pettis, Pettis wobbled the fuck out of Alvarez in two of the three rounds and still lost because he was clinched against the fence (he wasn't taken down). That is the norm we are accustomed to seeing so it wouldn't have been insane to see Nate take the fourth (albeit I gave it to Conor).

The same can be said about the second. Conor drops Nate twice in the first minute. But after that, he gasses epically and the last 90 seconds of that round are domination by Nate. Many people rightfully think Conor was saved by the bell. I'm not saying he won the second, but again, you have to consider that it wouldn't have been weird to give Nate that round. If you watch Barbosa-Melendez. Melendez drops Barboza in the second and wobbles him again shortly after. He lands the crisper combinations that round and Barboza steals the round from under his feet on all three judges scorecards with a takedown a ground and pound with 12 seconds left. Nate dominated the last 90, we have seen weirder shit than Nate getting the second round.

What I'm trying to say is I agree with Conor winning, but people need to stop acting like it was a landslide or there is no validity to Nate winning. There is an argument for both sides imo. Albeit, mine would be a draw or Conor winning but I can easily see, especially after rematching, why people would think Nate should have won either the second or the fourth.

You seem to have a pretty unbiased view of the fight... & I respect that. I don't agree with a lot of it though.. so I responded in order of the underlines I put in your statement.

In the 4th, Nate had Conor pressed against the cage for 1 out of 5 minutes (not the majority of the round).

Pressing someone against the cage can win a "close" round, but in this case it wasn't even close. 13 power shots for Mac & 3 for Nate... with 2 of them buckling Nate. I actually spent several hours watching round 4 in slow motion, re-winding as needed, & taking notes. No world that I want to be a part of would score pressing someone against the fence... over 10 "more" power shots where 2 of them buckled someone. Those are "Power" shots I'm talking about there... but Conor actually outstruck Nate overall as well. (even when you include those pitty pat punches from the clinch.)

Round 2 - Do not underestimate the value of shutting someone's nervous system down to the point that their legs give out on them. TWICE.

The only thing that saved that round from being a 10-8 was that final flurry of Nates. I don't see Conor getting saved by the bell there. He walked off perfectly fine & looked unphazed. To your point, we have seen wierder shit scored... but that waz clearly 10-9 Conor.

Last edited:
Back