Aldo should go after Diaz if McGregor fights Alvarez

Zangief HW GOAT

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
If Conor doesn't defend the belt and goes after Alvarez, Aldo should go after Diaz at 155.
Good fight, and in case he beats Nate convincingly, the rematch would be inevitable.

This is a big fight for Diaz - while Aldo wasn't a big star, the fact that both are gravitating around Conor's success would make this fight a must see. Also, that would set the rubber match too.

Yeah, I remember that Holloway exists, and that scenario would suck for him.
Depending on timing, maybe Aldo can fight him, and only then chase the Diaz fight.

Nate is like half a foot taller than Aldo with a similar reach disparity.

Diaz would whoop Aldo
Not so sure,

The age old Diaz problem of leg kicks would be a serious factor, and Aldo just happens to have the most horrifying leg kicks P4P.

Really bad style matchup for Nate. Plus, Nate is going on the shelf and enjoying himself until the trilogy - rightly so.

Not so sure,

The age old Diaz problem of leg kicks would be a serious factor, and Aldo just happens to have the most horrifying leg kicks P4P.

Really bad style matchup for Nate. Plus, Nate is going on the shelf and enjoying himself until the trilogy - rightly so.
Aldo can't even get in range to throw a leg kick without eating a jab

Nate is almost a foot taller than lil Aldo

Diaz would whoop Aldo
EmOrD.gif

Aldo can't even get in range to throw a leg kick without eating a jab

Nate is almost a foot taller than lil Aldo

Aldo should have just enough leg reach to smash his shin into the meat, he's also got excellent movement going backward too so he'll avoid those obvious jab counters.

He'd make it look like a clinic - just an all round terrible style matchup for Nate.

You know I want Aldo to move up. I think it will freshen the FW division and I really like this match up.

Would be a good barometer on Aldos size and if he utilizes the leg kicks its a winnable named fight

I would favour Aldo in front of anyone in the LW division.

Not so sure,

I'm not convinced Aldo can compete the same way at 155, nor do I think he's tough enough to beat Diaz.

It would be an interesting fight to watch but I think Nate's pressure, toughness, and boxing would be too much for ALdo.

Not so sure,

Edson Barboza.
I do agree that this is a bad matchup for Nate.
He would have a significant reach and height advantage though, and I don't think Aldo has fought anyone near that height or reach.
It gave Conor fits in the first fight, but I think he'd mitigate that with leg kicks.

I'm not convinced Aldo can compete the same way at 155, nor do I think he's tough enough to beat Diaz.

It would be an interesting fight to watch but I think Nate's pressure, toughness, and boxing would be too much for ALdo.

All very true, I guess we gotta book the fight to find out!

Edson Barboza.
I do agree that this is a bad matchup for Nate.
He would have a significant reach and height advantage though, and I don't think Aldo has fought anyone near that height or reach.
It gave Conor fits in the first fight, but I think he'd mitigate that with leg kicks.

True but I think his great head movement and ability going backward should help migrate those long Diaz limbs to some degree. Once the first few leg kicks land he'll be dancing circles around Nate unfortunately.

I really think that Nate's leg kick defense has progressed further than he showed at 202. Not enough to withstand a barrage from someone like Aldo or Barboza but it has progressed.

I really think that Nate's leg kick defense has progressed further than he showed at 202. Not enough to withstand a barrage from someone like Aldo or Barboza but it has progressed.
The problem is that he still picks up his feet and plants them too slowly (i.e. "footwork is slow and plodding").
Conor and RDA both timed leg kicks in that same fashion, where he's just planting when they land.
That shit hurts. And you can't take too many of them.
Even if you check every other leg kick in the RDA fight, that one kick fucked his whole lead leg up.
He needs to get a serious Muay Thai trainer and drill the fuck out of leg kicks.

All very true, I guess we gotta book the fight to find out!

True but I think his great head movement and ability going backward should help migrate those long Diaz limbs to some degree. Once the first few leg kicks land he'll be dancing circles around Nate unfortunately.
Aldo does not have great head movement, every striker that doesn't have trex arms like Frankie, he's gotten blasted on the feet. KZ did it, Homnick did it, Conor did it. And Nate would find that chin too

Back