What Happens to Guys Earning Power Leaving UFC For Bellator?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What I'm picturing is they think they're getting sweet $$$ and that's why they switch. What they don't seem to understand is that this sweet $$$ is due to their name recognition that only exists because they're UFC fighters.

Perfect example: Benson Henderson. No one talks about him anymore and no one knows when his last fight was or who he's fighting next. At the end of his current Bellator contract when it comes time to sign another one, he's going to have 0 name recognition and bargaining power.

If he gets a decent contract, it'll only be because whoever signs him is a nice guy, not because he deserves it.

I would think that they make some good $$$ in their first contract then it's down to making peanuts or retire. Is this usually what happens?

I think going to Bellator you accept you'll never be (or reclaim) the UFC championship. Name recognition can only get you so far for ever Nick Diaz there are 100 fighters guys don't know about. It's about making as much money as possible and creating the least path of resistance. It's about income not glory--you abandon that when you leave the UFC. If I am Rory I am brainstorming about a second career now and slowly laying the ground work there.

Last edited:
Goes down. Every other promotion but UFC is bush league and can't pay fighters.

I still can't believe UFC chose not to match Bellator for Rory. Top contender, just had one of the best fights of all time, in which he gave his absolute all and is still in his prime (maybe hasn't even reached his prime yet)

Rory didn't bother advertising himself outside of fighting, so that's waht he is, a fighter, nothing more, so now he's considering leaving, well good luck, don't expect to come back ever.

Some fighters may make more up front but less over all. The PPV model is still very profitable (as Conor and Nate found out), but Bellator doesn't have PPVs. So they get more sponsorship money and some guys get more guaranteed money, but the top fighters and top draws will come to the UFC for a piece of that sweet, sweet PPV revenue. $15 million for 1 fight is what's possible at the UFC. Has Bellator ever paid even half a million for 1 fight?

Henderson just got destroyed by Koreshkov and is about to fight Pitbull. Everyone knows that son. Were typically not casuals here

I said in the other thread it is short sighted decision

Benson mentioned that he is making about the same, but feels like he has more earning potential because of advertiser/sponsor freedom.

Leaving the UFC as someone said is an acknowledgment that you're probably not going to be a champion, because they have the greatest earning potential an leverage in the sport - but you can do as well for yourself in Bellator as the average TOP tenish ranked UFC fighters if not better because of theoretically more freedom. This is only good for the sport.

Some fighters may make more up front but less over all. The PPV model is still very profitable (as Conor and Nate found out), but Bellator doesn't have PPVs. So they get more sponsorship money and some guys get more guaranteed money, but the top fighters and top draws will come to the UFC for a piece of that sweet, sweet PPV revenue. $15 million for 1 fight is what's possible at the UFC. Has Bellator ever paid even half a million for 1 fight?

Tito got like $300 K to get beat up by Mcgeary I think. That's the highest disclosed Bellator payout I can remember, there may have been higher.

Rory didn't bother advertising himself outside of fighting, so that's waht he is, a fighter, nothing more, so now he's considering leaving, well good luck, don't expect to come back ever.
"To come back"? You part owner of the UFC?

says who. maybe he does a hendo, wins the belt of biggest org not named ufc(also tko fedor)and comes back with a bigger check.

Tito got like $300 K to get beat up by Mcgeary I think. That's the highest disclosed Bellator payout I can remember, there may have been higher.
Okay, so let's say that they paid someone $500k once. One time. Most champions get more than that for every PPV they headline in the UFC.

So a guy like Rory could make $200k per fight flat, but if he won the title in the UFC (he *does* hold a win over Woodley already), he'd be making a lot more, even factoring in the Reebok money vs sponsorship money.

Okay, so let's say that they paid someone $500k once. One time. Most champions get more than that for every PPV they headline in the UFC.

So a guy like Rory could make $200k per fight flat, but if he won the title in the UFC (he *does* hold a win over Woodley already), he'd be making a lot more, even factoring in the Reebok money vs sponsorship money.

I think you hit the nail on the head already; if you think you can win a title it is all about getting those PPV points. That's where the earning potential is.

I think you hit the nail on the head already; if you think you can win a title it is all about getting those PPV points. That's where the earning potential is.
Yep. But he may have other reasons for going to Bellator - I can't make decisions for Rory MacDonald and I certainly wouldn't want to if I could. I hope Bellator works out for him if he does in fact sign.

Fighters need to understand that the basis of their value is not a matter of how well you fight and the sacrifces you make. It's a matter of how much money you bring to the promotion.

If Rory does not work on becoming a better earner, he will find his compensation with Bellator will wither and not flourish simply on the basis of him being a top fighter. After, Bellator is in it for the same reason as the UFC- to make money.

how does bellator make money
Advertising, the same way everyone else on TV makes it.

That and they're owned by Viacom, which is a huge media company that owns a lot of other things as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back