If Conor goes down, will this be Roy Jones...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
All over again? What I mean is, when Roy went up in weight, he won the belt but him moving up and down the weight messed with his speed and reflexes which allowed Tarver to beat him.

If Conor goes down to Fw, would Aldo have a greater chance because of Conors extreme weight gains/loses?

I think he relied on speed so much, once he got older, he didn't have strong fundamentals to fall back on.

That isn't the case with Conor

jKL1MHc.gif

That thread make me angry...

RJJ fought at Middleweight, SuperMiddleweight,Light Heavyweight & Heavyweight.

Won belts in every categories.

Ffs...

speed went down because of his age.
Edit : he beated Tarver the first time after going back down btw.

Last edited:
He's not really moving up and down, he just didn't cut weight for these two WW fights.

I think he relied on speed so much, once he got older, he didn't have strong fundamentals to fall back on.

the OP is talking about his weight fluctuation, not his age.

we have to wait and see if the weight changing does effect his game. i've seen it effect people's timing, balance, and stance before.

that's just some bullshit GSP said to cover his ass.
weight cutting allowed Tarver to beat Roy?? Roy won the first fight, LOL. Roy got cocky, he got old, it caught up to him. And he still hasn't learned because he's getting knocked out by cans in Russia

If Conor quits MMA and goes into farming, will this be GMO farming all over again?

Cause they are different people. Not everyone ages the same, not everyone reacts the same.

That thread make me angry...

RJJ fought at Middleweight, SuperMiddleweight,Light Heavyweight & Heavyweight.

Won belts in every categories.

Ffs...

speed went down because of his age.
Edit : he beated Tarver the first time after going back down btw.

Ok, He did beat Tarver that first fight. I know it was a very controversial decision though. Even though jones won, he looked terrible. it was obvious something was off. he no longer had the same speed and he got hit more often. If he ever fought tarver around the time he was at his best, he would have killed tarver.

He's not really moving up and down, he just didn't cut weight for these two WW fights.

yes, but he wasn't at his best at that weight. Even conor said it himself. he had no abs at 168lbs. He felt he had a bit of a fat belly. Those extra lbs, slowed him down a tad and made him get tired quicker.. So cutting weight is essential for him to be his best. Unless of course he maintained a really lean body all the time. most don't, therefore cutting weight to get in the best possible shape is a must. He will still have abs at 155lbs though.

No, Roy Jones was 35 when he lost to Tarver. Conor is young enough that his body should adapt pretty well to some torment.

Ok, He did beat Tarver that first fight. I know it was a very controversial decision though. Even though jones won, he looked terrible. it was obvious something was off. he no longer had the same speed and he got hit more often. If he ever fought tarver around the time he was at his best, he would have killed tarver.

Sure, but he weigh in at 193lbs Vs Ruiz for the HW belt.

going back down to 175lbs wasn't the problem for speed loss

Don't know about the speed etc. But I thought this rematch would cause Conor to go through exactly what Roy went through. If you remember, Roy went up to HW and was not even thinking about Tarver. Tarver baited him into a fight
by showing up at press conferences, calling him scared in the media etc. Roy actually beat him with body work the first fight and again went into the second fight because it got to him that everyone was saying he didn't really win the first fight. I think you can't be at your best when you move away from your true goals. I thought it would cost Conor by switching focus to Nate when he really wanted the two belts. And I think this going up in weight even higher than usual will hurt him if he tried to go back to FW. That two titles at once dream has been killed and he should forget it.

Jones fought at about 155 pounds in the Olympics.

He went on to become Heavyweight champion of the world.

Conor started his career at 155 pounds, and went on to become the 145 pound champion of the world.

GTFO

Jones fought at about 155 pounds in the Olympics.

He went on to become Heavyweight champion of the world.

Conor started his career at 155 pounds, and went on to become the 145 pound champion of the world.

GTFO
He had a hw belt. He was not the hw champion of the world.

TS isn't wrong, Jones did get old but I think he aged a lot quicker due to his silly decision to move back down. Imagine if he beat a then faded Tyson and retired. He would have been considered the GOAT.

Last edited:
yes, but he wasn't at his best at that weight. Even conor said it himself. he had no abs at 168lbs. He felt he had a bit of a fat belly. Those extra lbs, slowed him down a tad and made him get tired quicker.. So cutting weight is essential for him to be his best. Unless of course he maintained a really lean body all the time. most don't, therefore cutting weight to get in the best possible shape is a must. He will still have abs at 155lbs though.
Yes, I agree, but in the context of this thread what you said doesn't matter, he'll be the same as always once he moves down. I do think that he looked way better at 145 come fight night. 155 should be ideal for him, shouldn't look like death during the weigh in but still be in great shape in the fight.

He had a hw belt. He was not the hw champion of the world.
notice I said "heavyweight champion of the world" not "THE..."

your move, Thoreau.

Y'ALL MUST HAVE FORGOT!

200.gif

giphy.gif

This is GOAT level shit!

Back