What is Jose Aldo's path to victory and winning condition in possible rematch?

skullmaskkid

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whenever Conor Aldo 2 gets brought up, mouthbreathing haters bring up irrelevant shit like JDS - Cain 2. What actually matters is Aldo and Conor. What is the scenario where Aldo wins this fight? Guy is a sloppy kickboxer with signficiant reach/height disadvantage. He gets hit/countered regularly whenever he fights good strikers like KZ and Hominick. He has shown he cannot take the power of Conor. He's not a cardio monster and his output is typically very low so he's not gonna be pushing Conor. He's not a great wrestler.

So really tell me how he's gonna win this fight. People love saying shit like oh anything can happen, but really no, the better fighter won and would again.

This would be a complete waste of a fight

Whenever Conor Aldo 2 gets brought up, mouthbreathing haters bring up irrelevant shit like JDS - Cain 2. What actually matters is Aldo and Conor. What is the scenario where Aldo wins this fight? Guy is a sloppy kickboxer with signficiant reach/height disadvantage. He gets hit/countered regularly whenever he fights good strikers like KZ and Hominick. He has shown he cannot take the power of Conor. He's not a cardio monster and his output is typically very low so he's not gonna be pushing Conor. He's not a great wrestler.

So really tell me how he's gonna win this fight. People love saying shit like oh anything can happen, but really no, the better fighter won and would again.

1. Show up (this is the hardest part because he rarely shows up on fight day)
2. Bring a weapon
3. Profit?

Same way he beat Edgar last time... but he gotta work it to the ground before he gets caught.

Even if Conor wins he deserves a shot.

If anything we'll probably at least get an entertaining fight.

One round of these 2 striking would be good enough.

Like against KZ. Push Conor against the fence and clinch strike/threaten with TD's to take the early explosiveness out of him. Then it's easier to both strike or take him down later on. Low kicks later.

But he's facing a bigger framed fighter, which helps with taking punches from FW's and defending their TD's. Aldo's used to be the bigger fighter in there so he has to work more and that drains his cardio, too. Not gonna be easy (and we can come back later to laugh at this when Aldo floors him in the first, anything's possible).

Edgar is a midget with trex arms and with little one shot power. Complete different fight
Agreed... so he makes adjustments for the reach but it's still the same game plan. Stick & move & do it with speed & precision without getting into a dog fight.

Leg kicks will certainly be a nice addition... which is something he didn't do much of against Edgar.

Well the first step towards victory for him is a) accepting the fight and b) showing up on fight night. You'd think that would go without saying, but Aldo has struggled with this in the past when it comes to Conor.

If he managed to do both of these things, it's pretty obvious that he's going to rely heavily on his kicking game. Conor's not going to shoot a take down so he knows he doesn't have to worry about that.

What he needs to avoid is what he did in the first fight: lunging forward. Conor has great timing and that left hand is laser precise, and he's not going to absorb the shots that Diaz did.

Like against KZ. Push Conor against the fence and clinch strike/threaten with TD's to take the early explosiveness out of him. Then it's easier to both strike or take him down later on. Low kicks later. But he's facing a bigger man, Aldo's used to be the bigger fighter in there so he has to work more and that drains his cardio, too.
Zombie was on his way to beat Jose down before the injury tbh

Fights smart standing like he did vs Edgar with great defensive movement, applies leg kicks, uses his full mma arsenal and mixes up takedowns and aims to take the fight later rounds. If he just stands and tries to take Conor out its very likely he goes to sleep again.

BTW, I think TS is on crack. One of the worse assessments of Aldo's game i've read

Zombie was on his way to beat Jose down before the injury tbh
He was doing good but IDK about beating. It was close. I don't remember the fight completely tho.

The gameplan though should IMO be something like that for Aldo vs Conor. Aldo's superior on the ground, taking advantage of that after being KO'd wouldn't be a bad idea.

Fights smart standing like he did vs Edgar with great defensive movement, applies leg kicks, uses his full mma arsenal and mixes up takedowns and aims to take the fight later rounds. If he just stands and tries to take Conor out its very likely he goes to sleep again.
throwing leg kicks against the taller counter puncher is exactly what got him KO'd the first fight.

Aldo is actually a better wrestler than he gets credit for, he always gets people down when he goes for the takedown. If he wants McGregor on the ground, I think he gets it there. But as a huge Aldo fan, this fight worries me a lot, he has to stay patient like in the Edgar fight, but he needs to move even better. Conor has bomb of a left and he needs to be perfect defensively. He needs to destroy Conor's legs and take away his movement, get the fight to the ground or clinch and grind McGregor and drag him into deep water.

throwing leg kicks against the taller counter puncher is exactly what got him KO'd the first fight.
I don't remember him even throwing a leg kick in that 13 seconds, he just ran into the left.

His only hope is to hide backstage in the box his reebok gear comes in, and then later claim he got lost backstage a la Spinal Tap.

Leg kicks and circle away from the left hand.

Basically the exact opposite of last time. Conor will break if you keep steady pressure on him.

He threw a leg kick?? You really or on carck pal, lol. He threw a fake cross to a left hook and got countered. Watch the Florian fight, thats how you throw leg kicks to taller rangier fighter. When timed correctly the leg kick will be very effective vs Conor.

leg kicks, trip takedowns, avoid lunging shots. Be patient, tear up those legs, use that elite BJJ.

Back