Pettis is talented. He gets beaten by hard work.

dmwalking

Sapateiro Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Pettis is one of my favorite fighters. Been watching his career since before the showtime kick. It's undeniable that the kid is talented.

There's an old saying that hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. I feel like this speaks directly to a guy like Pettis who has all the talent in the world but tends to lose because the other guy out worked him. It's like he fights without urgency. He fights as if any moment he can just turn on the "showtime cheat code" and finish the fight.

That said, I'm not confident that he'll be able to beat Oliveira unless he turns on the showtime early on in the fight. I hope he realizes that talent is not enough to stay at the top.

Oliveira is going down grabbing something, yelling about an injury.

I agree with the OP about the hard work/talent, but Do Bronx isn't a guy to exploit that in my opinion. Pettis might not like the overly gritty fights, but he never folds. RDA broke his face early in the fight and it went the distance.

Pettis is one of my favorite fighters. Been watching his career since before the showtime kick. It's undeniable that the kid is talented.

There's an old saying that hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. I feel like this speaks directly to a guy like Pettis who has all the talent in the world but tends to lose because the other guy out worked him. It's like he fights without urgency. He fights as if any moment he can just turn on the "showtime cheat code" and finish the fight.

That said, I'm not confident that he'll be able to beat Oliveira unless he turns on the showtime early on in the fight. I hope he realizes that talent is not enough to stay at the top.

he kind of reminds me of cerrone, good front runner, bad when pressured or bullied

Duke doofous is overrated

That's part of the problem

Ignore my comment

TS, how exactly do you know he doesn't work hard?

Silly thread title.

He said something on UFC tonight that was intruiging if true;

He said his training was tailored around his last 3 opponents specifically and he's not doing that again. It's believable because being too tentative has been a problem for him. You mostly see that when guys over-focus on their opponent's offense. Guys get too worried about TDs and leg kicks they talk themselves out of clear openings.

Considering who he was fighting and how it played out, I'm inclined to believe him. If this camp is refocused on his attributes instead of his opponents' we could see a different Pettis. More so than we were already going to(fw drop).

I know what you mean and I think a large part of it has been how he's changed his TDD for the worse, he used to avoid takedowns with footwork and angles in the open, in the last few years he has abandoned this and instead uses the cage to help him sprawl, it works sometimes but when he fights someone with a better clinch and wrestling he can lose. He needs to go back to using more footwork and fighting out in the open.

Pettis striking is overrated, thats also a big part of the problem. Yes he has very good kicks, but his hands are average, I can't ever remember him dropping anyone with his hands, his punches are not very crisp imo. He has good kicks though. TDD is average. His subs are good.

Pettis striking is overrated, thats also a big part of the problem. Yes he has very good kicks, but his hands are average, I can't ever remember him dropping anyone with his hands, his punches are not very crisp imo. He has good kicks though. TDD is average. His subs are good.

This. He's like a Diaz brother in bizarro land, very good kicks but hands are lacking.

He's not big enough for LW

I think he might crush at FW. We will see. The guy is talented as hell but seems to be getting pushed around lately in a way he hadn't before.

I think he dropped Bart "However The Fuck You Spell His Last Name" with a punch in WEC.

His boxing looked good against Benson Henderson back when they fought in WEC but you are correct though.

The "hard work beats talent..." thing is such a cliche.

He gets beaten up by CM Punk in the gym everday

I think he gets the win vs Olivera. Should be a good fight.

I wanted to see Pettis switch camps. Not weight class.

Last edited:
spot on

TS, how exactly do you know he doesn't work hard?

Silly thread title.

Seems that you missed the point. I'm not saying he doesn't work hard. He works harder than me, that's for sure. The point is that he tends to get out worked in his losses. The other guy works harder. The thread title makes sense if you understand context.

I know what you mean and I think a large part of it has been how he's changed his TDD for the worse, he used to avoid takedowns with footwork and angles in the open, in the last few years he has abandoned this and instead uses the cage to help him sprawl, it works sometimes but when he fights someone with a better clinch and wrestling he can lose. He needs to go back to using more footwork and fighting out in the open.

Solid point.

He's not big enough for LW

I think he might crush at FW. We will see. The guy is talented as hell but seems to be getting pushed around lately in a way he hadn't before.

True. I was surprised by how much bigger Barbosa was.

The "hard work beats talent..." thing is such a cliche.

It is literally a cliche. Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Back