Impressed by Conor's improvements

BobbyTKD

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
It was clear Conor had to work on a few elements in his game in order to beat Diaz. Got back to the drawing board after the loss and worked hard on a few elements in his game;
  • Strategy: Conor never really implemented a strategy before Diaz 2. He now seems to be able to fight effectively following a clear gameplan, which is crucial going forward. Especially if he's going to be facing the murderer's row in the 155 division.
  • Lowkicks; An element that was really missing in his game before. He now has an effective (MT-style) lowkick, which was really effective in slowing Diaz down from the start. He should now learn to set-up his lowkicks better, using his hands. Perhaps bring in a Dutch-style kickboxer for his next camp. If he could finish his combo's with a nice kick that could really augment his stand-up.
  • Jab: Never saw Conor use his jab as well as he did vs Diaz. Basically outjabbed him, which was crucial to win the standup imo. A really effective weapon going forward, given his boxing style.
  • Cardio: He apparantly worked tirelessly on his cardio and - while he still gassed - Conor was impressive fighting through the exhaustion and recovering while fighting, instead of panicking when pressured.
  • Boxing defense: This was really beautiful to see, especially early in the fight where he would continually slip and counter Diaz. But crucially later on, when Diaz came on strong and Conor was tiring, his defense really held up well.

I definitley am. He exceeded my expectations. I thought Nate would likely win again.The first fight wasnt that long ago,and he was forced to dig deep,and was able to overcome the incredible pressure he must have been under. Now he's a better fighter.

Yeah good fluidity in his mooowvment no stiffness jeh

You forgot to mention Conor's improved ''elusiveness''..

And with ALL that.

That was still only a majority decision win Vs a 19-11 fighter...

#goat

Best improvements were his lead hand and the original cross counter he added rather than only throwing the slip counter. The low kicks were a nice strategy like always against Diaz, but it really showed that he's new to it.

His heart was the most impressive thing. I was impressed by the change in strategy to leg kick but not overly impressed by the kicks themselves.

And with ALL that.

That was still only a majority decision win Vs a 19-11 fighter...

#goat

Damn dawg nate diaz fans be like

lemmings-off-the-cliff-o.gif

His heart was the most impressive thing. I was impressed by the change in strategy to leg kick but not overly impressed by the kicks themselves.
Yeah but i mean he merely had to throw them,they just had to be hard kicks that landed,and again,he only just started using them,so good on him

Best improvements were his lead hand and the original cross counter he added rather than only throwing the slip counter. The low kicks were a nice strategy like always against Diaz, but it really showed that he's new to it.

That cross counter was a huge addition.

energy efficient like a modasucka

I'm not a Diaz fan, I just don't like Conor.

Youll come around. I aint no nuthugger or think hes taking out Overeem anytime soon,but i gotta say im impressed with the dude. He is a crazy person and its workin out for him somehow.

Yes, I was impressed by how good he did and how well his whole camp was prepared.
During the first two rounds I was like

giphy.gif

Then at the end of the second up to the third I was like

giphy.gif

Then the fourth round, McGregor came back. Me:

giphy.gif

Then when the decision was about to be announced, and I was asking myself who had won:

giphy.gif

Then when McGregor was announced the winner:

giphy.gif

Agreed on all points.
It was great to see him able to be honest with himself and check his ego. Everyone won't go down in Rd one.

I'm hoping that he continues on his journey of improvement by sharpening up his leg kicks,tdd and cardio some more.

Yeah but i mean he merely had to throw them,they just had to be hard kicks that landed,and again,he only just started using them,so good on him

If he's going to keep them as part of his arsenal he really needs to tidy them up, in particular the accuracy. If not, he's going to be breaking more shit in his legs/feet.

And he showed he has a good chin despite the haters after the first fight.

Back